HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

I went into Steam VR video settings - did not see a reference to "motion vector". Under the DCS settings in Steam VR, I set motion smoothing to force 45 fps always on, would that basically be the same thing?

Might be the same, what I am talking about is actually a vr settings FILE in the the steam vr file folder. You open it with notepad. I'm not in front of my comp now otherwise I would give you the path.

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

there are two parts to this in WMR in Steam VR

1) WMR there are two means to do this the first, is to use the app by depressing the joystick in SteamVR, the second (older mechanism) is to edit the file, this later version has a disadvantage because as WMR gets updated this file gets overwritten where as the gui approach does not.

2) then use the setting in Steam VR

you have to do BOTH to get the correct effect.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Guys, surely this has been discussed often enough on this thread and others, particularly in the last few days.

SteamVR Motion Smoothing is NOT compatible with WMR headsets and changing its settings will have no effect.

WMR headsets have their own Motion Reprojection which is now set by the WMR tab in SteamVR dashboard or by running the file mentioned several times above, i.e. ......\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe.

It is highly recommended to leave the old edit-the-config-file method behind and leave it in its default state which is "motionReprojectionMode": "none".

The first few lines of this file are a clue, i.e.:

// Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR

// Version #.#.#

// Please refrain from editing this file, as it is replaced with every update to the driver.

// Instead, modify settings through the UX available as an overlay on the SteamVR dashboard.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Guys, surely this has been discussed often enough on this thread and others, particularly in the last few days.

SteamVR Motion Smoothing is NOT compatible with WMR headsets and changing its settings will have no effect.

WMR headsets have their own Motion Reprojection which is now set by the WMR tab in SteamVR dashboard or by running the file mentioned several times above, i.e. ......\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\bin\win64\OpenVRSettingsUX.exe.

It is highly recommended to leave the old edit-the-config-file method behind and leave it in its default state which is "motionReprojectionMode": "none".

The first few lines of this file are a clue, i.e.:

// Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR

// Version #.#.#

// Please refrain from editing this file, as it is replaced with every update to the driver.

// Instead, modify settings through the UX available as an overlay on the SteamVR dashboard.

Odd thing though imacken, I set motion smoothing on for DCS in Steam VR and it sure appears it is working properly.

Before doing this I had fps all over the place with stutter, now I get 45 or 90 and no stutter.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Somehow I posted this and it showing up as a comment in imaken's post above, so reposting it here:

Odd thing though imacken, I set motion smoothing on for DCS in Steam VR and it sure appears it is working properly.

Before doing this I had fps all over the place with stutter, now I get 45 or 90 and no stutter.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Are you sure it was Motion Smoothing? How did you set it exactly? I thought you had followed my steps in earlier posts to do it.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Are you sure it was Motion Smoothing? How did you set it exactly? I thought you had followed my steps in earlier posts to do it.

With DCS running so it would show up in game profile:

Steam VR Dashboard on desktop - Settings - Video - Per Application Video Settings - DCS - Motion Smoothing Enabled.

I get either 45 fps or 90 fps, game is quite smooth either way.

rZQFYKA.jpg.f84a6653e0f2543a46ca50b2a1c69e57.jpg

Going to try setting it to " Force On" instead next and see how it does at forced 45 fps.

Don B

Can you post what you see when you run the file mentioned above?

Can you post what you see when you run the file mentioned above?

pAqKm7Z.jpg.528ce30fcfe6871b59b6088d69a466f4.jpg

Don B

Well, I would say that is what is important. Set that to disabled and see what happens.

Well, I would say that is what is important. Set that to disabled and see what happens.

I set it to per app, and now my settings for DCS are applying properly.

Both auto and forced 45 ran good.

Someone mentioned forced 45 might give the GPU more headroom, hard to say I guess.

• Like 2

Don B

That’s great, but it would be interesting to see what you get if you disable it. Then it would prove conclusively that Motion Smoothing was not in play.

My G2 is in town, and will be delivered tomorrow. What surprises await me? I searched Google for a copy of a manual, but found nothing that had any real details. Is there something in the box to lead me through the set up process? Computers are not my strong suit.

• Like 1

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

My G2 is in town, and will be delivered tomorrow. What surprises await me? I searched Google for a copy of a manual, but found nothing that had any real details. Is there something in the box to lead me through the set up process? Computers are not my strong suit.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality#enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps

Don B

There is a single sheet setup guide that shows you the sequence for connecting everything. There is more documentation in the box, but since I already had WMR set up on my rig, I haven't needed to even open the box it came in. I plugged it in, and it went right to work. Even the bluetooth pairing between the HMD and the controllers was already done on the G2, so those went right to work as soon as the batteries were installed and I powered them up.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Would some kind soul point me to how to get the Beta of WMR for Steam VR?

I did an uninstall and reinstall of WMR ( don't ask please), now seems I have WMR for Steam VR, and previously had the beta.

I have looked all through WMR settings and don't see it.

Thanks for any help,

Don B

I did an uninstall and reinstall of WMR ( don't ask please), now seems I have WMR for Steam VR, and previously had the beta.

Thanks for any help,

Here you go, Don. Hopefully it works for you, I haven't tried it myself. Its current info though as of 4 days ago (edit: that was according to the Google hit on it. Looks like the actual date of the posting was over 2 years ago.)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enroll-steamvr-beta

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Here you go, Don. Hopefully it works for you, I haven't tried it myself. Its current info though as of 4 days ago (edit: that was according to the Google hit on it. Looks like the actual date of the posting was over 2 years ago.)

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enroll-steamvr-beta

Thanks for that, but that is for Steam VR beta i think and I just wanted the beta of WMR for Steam VR.

I did a little google searching which I should have done to start with ,and found it. It was fairly well hidden.

In Steam, use the drop down under the Library menu to filter to Software. In the list, right-click Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR and select Properties. Click the Betas tab.

Don B

Thanks for any help,

Right click on steamvr goto properties/Beta opt in.

Ah you wanted beta forr "WMR for Steam VR" what does this offer ?

Honestly I have no idea, someone recommended it to me early on when I was setting this G2 up so thought I would stick with it.

Don B

With DCS running so it would show up in game profile:

Steam VR Dashboard on desktop - Settings - Video - Per Application Video Settings - DCS - Motion Smoothing Enabled.

I get either 45 fps or 90 fps, game is quite smooth either way.

Exactly, 45fps is perfectly smooth so why overtax your hardware drawing a bunch more frames that don't add to the experience. You can use that extra headroom for shadows or msaa for example.

I lock it at 45 and fly around downtown Dubai and adjust as needed till I don't dip below 45.

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

Thanks for that, but that is for Steam VR beta i think and I just wanted the beta of WMR for Steam VR.

I did a little google searching which I should have done to start with ,and found it. It was fairly well hidden.

DOH! Sorry about that. Looks like it is much the same process though.

You need the SteamVR for WMR plugin to get Steam VR and WMR to cooperate with each other for things like DCS.

Exactly, 45fps is perfectly smooth so why overtax your hardware drawing a bunch more frames that don't add to the experience. You can use that extra headroom for shadows or msaa for example.

I lock it at 45 and fly around downtown Dubai and adjust as needed till I don't dip below 45.

Yup, and the 45 your FPS counter is reporting isn't really 45FPS. The counter isn't capable of counting the interpolated frames, so what your eyes are seeing is actually a higher frame rate.

Yup, and the 45 your FPS counter is reporting isn't really 45FPS. The counter isn't capable of counting the interpolated frames, so what your eyes are seeing is actually a higher frame rate.

You guys are going to give me brain freeze.

:smilewink:

Steam seems to like to make it as complicated as they can lol.

Don B