HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

Does anyone use Advanced Super Sample Filtering?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I know but wondered why the Beta version.

Edit: Because of G2 I guess.

Not sure what features one would get from installing the beta version of SteamVR / WMR for Steam VR, but G2 support was added to the stable / release build back in october... there is no need to use beta.

Got this e-mail today. How's this for an example of "artificial intelligence"? LOL

We’re happy to share that Connection received stock of HP Reverb G2 units and started shipping pre-orders last week. While we have shipped a substantial number of units, we are still waiting on additional inventory to fulfill all pre-orders. Pre-orders placed prior to October 25 will ship in November or December, on a first come, first served basis. New orders are expected to begin shipping in January 2021. You’ll receive a shipment confirmation email as soon as your order goes out.

We apologize for the wait—and we understand how eager you are to explore your favorite VR titles in stunning clarity and detail. Please know that our team is working hard to get every single unit shipped as soon as we have them in house.

Thanks again for your patience, and we’ll be in touch soon!

Sincerely,

The Connection Team

As I jokingly predicted, and exactly to the day of what I predicted (a week after it was shipped on November 11th) I get a notice from Connection thanking me for my patience and telling me mine will be shipped soon. I wonder if I'll be getting a second one for free. :lol: I'll have to check the software packet inside the box I got on Monday and see if Connection has sent me a free VR game where the object is to put a cart before a horse. I'll be playing that on my G2 while I wait for my G2. :crazy:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Got this e-mail today. How's this for an example of "artificial intelligence"? LOL

We’re happy to share that Connection received stock of HP Reverb G2 units and started shipping pre-orders last week. While we have shipped a substantial number of units, we are still waiting on additional inventory to fulfill all pre-orders. Pre-orders placed prior to October 25 will ship in November or December, on a first come, first served basis. New orders are expected to begin shipping in January 2021. You’ll receive a shipment confirmation email as soon as your order goes out.

We apologize for the wait—and we understand how eager you are to explore your favorite VR titles in stunning clarity and detail. Please know that our team is working hard to get every single unit shipped as soon as we have them in house.

Sincerely,

The Connection Team

As I jokingly predicted, and exactly to the day of what I predicted (a week after it was shipped on November 11th) I get a notice from Connection thanking me for my patience and telling me mine will be shipped soon. I wonder if I'll be getting a second one for free. :lol: I'll have to check the software packet inside the box I got on Monday and see if Connection has sent me a free VR game where the object is to put a cart before a horse. I'll be playing that on my G2 while I wait for my G2. :crazy:

I got the same notice, today. My G2 arrived today.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Sincerely,

The Connection Team

I have the power coming from my power strip, but no power is getting to the headset. I have SteamVR and WMR. SteamVR says my headset is not detected, and needs to be set up for "app containers" What is that?

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

As well as WMR and SteamVR you also need WMR for SteamVR

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

As well as WMR and SteamVR you also need WMR for SteamVR

I have that, too. What could be keeping the headset from getting power? The instructions that came with the G2 are not very good. First, they should have been printed in black and white, instead of grey and white. The pictures might have been more clear. And more, bigger pictures. I also get the impression HP assumes everybody already knows all about VR. So, they don't need to tell you much. Me, I'm a VR virgin.

TWC_SLAG

I have that, too. What could be keeping the headset from getting power? The instructions that came with the G2 are not very good. First, they should have been printed in black and white, instead of grey and white. The pictures might have been more clear. And more, bigger pictures. I also get the impression HP assumes everybody already knows all about VR. So, they don't need to tell you much. Me, I'm a VR virgin.

I had the same problem at first. It turned out that the cable that connects to the headset itself was not properly seated even though it seemed to be. I had to sort of wiggle it a little, and then it slid into place all the way.

Also, it took me until after I set it all up to discover that there was one more flat box included that had slightly more detailed instructions than that single, ridiculously meager sheet. Not that the "full" instructions even slightly address all the "Steam VR for Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR" mobius loop of configuring that you have to do to get everything working. Maybe I'm just old and lame enough to actually expect good directions for my $600, but my reaction to that one-pager was that it might as well say, "We've got your money, now plug that headset into your own a$$hole for all we care. Love, HP."

I had the same problem at first. It turned out that the cable that connects to the headset itself was not properly seated even though it seemed to be. I had to sort of wiggle it a little, and then it slid into place all the way.

Also, it took me until after I set it all up to discover that there was one more flat box included that had slightly more detailed instructions than that single, ridiculously meager sheet. Not that the "full" instructions even slightly address all the "Steam VR for Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR" mobius loop of configuring that you have to do to get everything working. Maybe I'm just old and lame enough to actually expect good directions for my $600, but my reaction to that one-pager was that it might as well say, "We've got your money, now plug that headset into your own a$$hole for all we care. Love, HP."

I couldn’t have said it better. Still wrestling with that plug, though.

TWC_SLAG

I just got that notice this afternoon and received my G2 last Friday.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

So for those of us coming from the Oculus Rift S ecosystem, any pointers to setup tips on things we should adjust for the G2 for DCS and VR gaming in general? SteamVR resolution, sim VR settings, etc?

Try reading the last few pages.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

So for those of us coming from the Oculus Rift S ecosystem, any pointers to setup tips on things we should adjust for the G2 for DCS and VR gaming in general? SteamVR resolution, sim VR settings, etc?

Yeah - practice patience lots of patience.

:smilewink:

Good place to start reading:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality#enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps

Don B

REVERB G2 SETUP GUIDE [WMR & STEAM VR]

VR Flight Sim Guy provides lots of essential setup tips in the above video.

He provides a special bonus tip for a certain recently released flight simulator with impending VR support.

• Like 1

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

REVERB G2 SETUP GUIDE [WMR & STEAM VR]

VR Flight Sim Guy provides lots of essential setup tips in the above video.

He provides a special bonus tip for a certain recently released flight simulator with impending VR support.

Nice! That should be helpful for some folks.

Interesting comments there at the end on OpenXR.

Don B

I'm coming from CV1, but I found that I couldn't get DCS to launch properly until I uninstalled all Oculus software. DCS in VR kept causing the Oculus environment to launch even though I had disconnected the headset and cameras. Might have just been a me thing, but if you know you're not going to use your Rift S again, best to go through the uninstall process.

I'm coming from CV1, but I found that I couldn't get DCS to launch properly until I uninstalled all Oculus software. DCS in VR kept causing the Oculus environment to launch even though I had disconnected the headset and cameras. Might have just been a me thing, but if you know you're not going to use your Rift S again, best to go through the uninstall process.

Before I got the G2, I was using my CV1 for some things, and the G1 for DCS. I was able to stop DCS from causing the automatic launch of Oculus Home by setting "Run as administrator" in the properties for the Oculus Home shortcut. That causes it to bring up the prompt asking you if you want to run Oculus Home, and it won't launch automatically with DCS anymore. (and before anybody chimes in with "that doesn't work anymore". Yes...it does still work.)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I have my Rift S plugged into a powered USB Hub with individual on /off switches. Have the G2 plugged into that Hub as well.

As far as Oculus Home launching, I just stop the Oculus service with the Oculus Tray Tool when first booting the PC up. No conflicts.

I am not going to uninstall as I will likely play an Oculus game with the Rift S occasionally.

Don B

So for some reason last night motion reprojection stopped working for me (in DCS and that other sim many of us fly). Two days ago, it was working nicely. Yesterday, turned off for no reason I can find. I have checked/tried the following:

- Motion Smoothing is set to Enabled in the SteamVR settings menu

- In the Windows Mixed Reality tab in the SteamVR dashboard, I have Motion Vector selected.

- In the Per Application sub-menus of SteamVR settings, I have motion smoothing set to Enabled. I have also tried the Use Global Settings selection. And somewhere (I can't remember in which of the menus within menus within cliff houses within dashboards) I have also tried to select "Force Always On" for motion smoothing.

Anyone have any ideas? I've also noticed that other changes I've made seem not to be working, e.g., when I set the motion controllers to turn off after 30 minutes instead of five, they still turned off after five minutes. That may be unrelated though.

Thanks again to all of you for filling the clear guidance void left by HP.

Good luck figuring that one out.

For whatever reason Motion Smoothing working properly in DCS, however not in the other sim for me.

Quite puzzling for sure.

Don B

That's where turning on motion smoothing the old fashioned way of editing the SteamVR for WMR config file comes in handy. So far its been really good for bypassing the little quirks and bugs added by each SteamVR update and isn't application-dependent.

So for some reason last night motion reprojection stopped working for me (in DCS and that other sim many of us fly). Two days ago, it was working nicely. Yesterday, turned off for no reason I can find. I have checked/tried the following:

- Motion Smoothing is set to Enabled in the SteamVR settings menu

- In the Windows Mixed Reality tab in the SteamVR dashboard, I have Motion Vector selected.

- In the Per Application sub-menus of SteamVR settings, I have motion smoothing set to Enabled. I have also tried the Use Global Settings selection. And somewhere (I can't remember in which of the menus within menus within cliff houses within dashboards) I have also tried to select "Force Always On" for motion smoothing.

Anyone have any ideas? I've also noticed that other changes I've made seem not to be working, e.g., when I set the motion controllers to turn off after 30 minutes instead of five, they still turned off after five minutes. That may be unrelated though.

Thanks again to all of you for filling the clear guidance void left by HP.

HAGS ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks for the tips, all. I want to leave Oculus installed due to some Oculus Store stuff I've purchased over the years that I'd like to keep going via ReVive. Sounds like stopping the Oculus service is the way to go there.

The whole having to deal with WMR and SteamVR settings on top of game settings sounds like it's going to be really annoying.