HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

OK, speak later. That file runs the same thing as the WMR tab on SteamVR dashboard. I suspect that if you are seeing it, then you should see the WMR icon in dashboard. AFAIR, its 3rd along from the bottom left.

BTW, you should amend your sig to show your new kit - GPU/G2!

Ok I found that file, and changed default Steam VR app Motion Reprojection mode from disabled to Auto.

Will test and advise when I return .

Yeah I do need to change sig, had a look in this new forums software but could not find it, will check again.

Thanks,

Edit: Ok sig updated.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I believe the windowsmr asw is its own thing from steamvr asw.

It's not ASW, and no, it's not different. They just are referred to with different names. See here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality#enabling-motion-reprojection-for-steamvr-apps

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

One thing more that could be worth to check, if you havn't done already, is that the power cable is working as it should. If the panels don't get enough power it could be harder for them to show the pictures as they are supposed to. Especially in higher frequencies. Just a thought.

Michael

Hey dburne, on the information page imacken shared about "Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR Beta," there is a section under the motion reprojection heading about "Expected Visual Artifacts." If you have motion reprojection enabled in there, perhaps this could explain the fuzziness you're experiencing?

Expected Visual Artifacts

1. When using a application resolution greater than 150% you may experience blurring. When using motion reprojection we recommend using a value less than 150%.
  2. Sharp contrast edges or text, especially on in-game HUDs or menus, may look temporarily warped or distorted due to disocclusion.
  3. SteamVR Home and many other games that do not reliably hit 50-60 FPS on your PC will continue to have a poor experience with this mode.
  4. Some games have been reported to run at 50% speed or with increased latency (lag). Please report these games through the Windows Feedback Hub instructions below.

Sorry if this is off-base or adds confusion to an already confusing topic, but I figured I'd share it just in case. Many thanks to you and imacken and the other early-adopter guinea pigs in this thread for doing the problem solving for the rest of us! (My G2 arrives tomorrow, ordered July 13 through Connections). This reminds me of 20 years ago when each game needed an individual DOS boot disk just to get it to run at all, and it could take days of trial and error. Hopefully in a couple years this whole process of configuring VR settings will seem just as antiquated and unbelievable.

Yea, I didn't word that post very well. I believe I posted the same link as you did earlier in this thread and was referering to that. ASW = oculus, right? What I was trying to communicate was that windows mixed reality for steam has its own reprojection functionality that I assume will be better to use with a windowsmr headset. The guy I replied said he had used steamvr reprojection with his headset.

Hey dburne, on the information page imacken shared about "Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR Beta," there is a section under the motion reprojection heading about "Expected Visual Artifacts." If you have motion reprojection enabled in there, perhaps this could explain the fuzziness you're experiencing?

Expected Visual Artifacts

1. When using a application resolution greater than 150% you may experience blurring. When using motion reprojection we recommend using a value less than 150%.
  2. Sharp contrast edges or text, especially on in-game HUDs or menus, may look temporarily warped or distorted due to disocclusion.
  3. SteamVR Home and many other games that do not reliably hit 50-60 FPS on your PC will continue to have a poor experience with this mode.
  4. Some games have been reported to run at 50% speed or with increased latency (lag). Please report these games through the Windows Feedback Hub instructions below.

Sorry if this is off-base or adds confusion to an already confusing topic, but I figured I'd share it just in case. Many thanks to you and imacken and the other early-adopter guinea pigs in this thread for doing the problem solving for the rest of us! (My G2 arrives tomorrow, ordered July 13 through Connections). This reminds me of 20 years ago when each game needed an individual DOS boot disk just to get it to run at all, and it could take days of trial and error. Hopefully in a couple years this whole process of configuring VR settings will seem just as antiquated and unbelievable.

Yeah no kidding, I sure remember those days of creating DOS bootable disks on floppy for games.

OK I am back now, so will be testing shortly if what I did from Imaken's suggestion makes any difference.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the feedback!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yea, I didn't word that post very well. I believe I posted the same link as you did earlier in this thread and was referering to that. ASW = oculus, right? What I was trying to communicate was that windows mixed reality for steam has its own reprojection functionality that I assume will be better to use with a windowsmr headset. The guy I replied said he had used steamvr reprojection with his headset.

I mean, it's a very confusing topic this. SteamVR does have its own, but WMR headsets can't use it. However, SteamVR also now has the WMR tab in the dashboard which is where we are recommended to make the motion reprojection setting. It is confusingly referred to there in the options as Motion Vector as well. The old method - which still works - was to edit a config file. That was, IMO, messy as it had to be changed every time there was an update, and you weren't always aware of that happening.

I think the new method is a good attempt to make the whole thing more clear and easy for the user to set, but I just wish they would drop the Motion Vector thing as that doesn't help ease any potential confusion!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yeah no kidding, I sure remember those days of creating DOS bootable disks on floppy for games.

That is bringing back so many memories. What with all the HIMEM.SYS etc. configurations trying to squeeze every last byte (or bit even) to give to the game.

Happy days!

Can you imagine how may 720k floppies it would take to store a DCS install? Well, I guess 100Gb is around 140,000. Yes?

That is bringing back so many memories. What with all the HIMEM.SYS etc. configurations trying to squeeze every last byte (or bit even) to give to the game.

Happy days!

Can you imagine how may 720k floppies it would take to store a DCS install? Well, I guess 100Gb is around 140,000. Yes?

Oh yeah I remember those all too well lol.

Ok your suggestion of navigating to the file and launching it from there to set Reprojection to Auto did the trick.

Headset at 90 Hz. Now I get only 90 fps or 45 fps as it should be. Reprojection seems to be doing a good job, no more stutter now

it is very smooth even flying 80 ft off the deck.

I was at 45 fps the vast bulk of the time, only hitting 90 fps when looking straight up at the sky.

Interestingly though, I still think my image clarity in cockpit was a little crisper running at 60 Hz than at 90 Hz.

Not sure why that would be.

Don B

Oh yeah I remember those all too well lol.

Ok your suggestion of navigating to the file and launching it from there to set Reprojection to Auto did the trick.

Headset at 90 Hz. Now I get only 90 fps or 45 fps as it should be. Reprojection seems to be doing a good job, no more stutter now

it is very smooth even flying 80 ft off the deck.

I was at 45 fps the vast bulk of the time, only hitting 90 fps when looking straight up at the sky.

Interestingly though, I still think my image clarity in cockpit was a little crisper running at 60 Hz than at 90 Hz.

Not sure why that would be.

Yep, my approach to this has always been stick with MP always on, so that I get a rock solid 45fps. MP works well, I think. Then. I turn up settings, checking fpsVR all the time to see that I'm not hitting 22ms very often. That is the point where I leave my settings alone.

Let me also say, that IMO - and others will disagree, no doubt - the only settings that really make any difference to performance are SteamVR SS, MSAA and Shadows. (I'm ignoring PD as it shouldn't be used in preference to SteamVR SS.)

Yep, my approach to this has always been stick with MP always on, so that I get a rock solid 45fps. MP works well, I think. Then. I turn up settings, checking fpsVR all the time to see that I'm not hitting 22ms very often. That is the point where I leave my settings alone.

Let me also say, that IMO - and others will disagree, no doubt - the only settings that really make any difference to performance are SteamVR SS, MSAA and Shadows. (I'm ignoring PD as it shouldn't be used in preference to SteamVR SS.)

I think that is a smart approach.

I took out MSAA and reduced shadows from high to low.

Still struggle to hit 90 fps with much of the ground/water environment in my display.

And I really don't care for no MSAA.

I wish they had an option for FXAA, it is not as good as MSAA but does help some without any hard penalty on performance.

Going to work on adjusting my graphics back using your method.

I will say I am impressed with the Reprojection.

Don B

I think that is a smart approach.

I took out MSAA and reduced shadows from high to low.

Still struggle to hit 90 fps with much of the ground/water environment in my display.

And I really don't care for no MSAA.

I wish they had an option for FXAA, it is not as good as MSAA but does help some without any hard penalty on performance.

Going to work on adjusting my graphics back using your method.

I will say I am impressed with the Reprojection.

I know what you mean about MSAA, but increasing SteamVR SS is a more efficient method of achieving the same thing, IMO.

I know what you mean about MSAA, but increasing SteamVR SS is a more efficient method of achieving the same thing, IMO.

Ok will have a look.

Not in DCS, but in Steam VR?

I must say I am quite impressed with WMR/SteamVR reprojection.

Don B

Ok will have a look.

Not in DCS, but in Steam VR?

I must say I am quite impressed with WMR/SteamVR reprojection.

Yep, SteamVR. Are you using fpsVR? Essential tool, IMO.

I tried 60 vs 90hz on my G1 and didn't see any noticeable difference when it came to clarity (for me at least). (SS at 150%). Complete guess but if 90hz is blurrier it makes me wonder if it's not able to render the image correctly and is taking shortcuts to achieve it's job. Either the GPU not keeping up, or maybe not enough power being delivered to the HMD over the USB port? Complete guesses but it doens't make sense otherwise why 60 would be sharper.

I tried 60 vs 90hz on my G1 and didn't see any noticeable difference when it came to clarity (for me at least). (SS at 150%). Complete guess but if 90hz is blurrier it makes me wonder if it's not able to render the image correctly and is taking shortcuts to achieve it's job. Either the GPU not keeping up, or maybe not enough power being delivered to the HMD over the USB port? Complete guesses but it doens't make sense otherwise why 60 would be sharper.

Good thoughts, but the G2 has it's own power supply, and Don has a 3090 so I hope it's not the GPU!

• Like 1

Yeah pretty sure no power or GPU problem here.

The image is not necessarily blurrier, it just the small things in cockpit instrument, are sharper and easier to read for me in 60 Hz versus 90 Hz.

It is like in 90 Hz they are slightly out of focus.

I will do some more checking with it tomorrow.

Don B

Hi Don and Imacken, and thanks a lot for your tips and advice, they'll help me a lot once I receive my G2. Ordered it on 8th of August on Amazon Spain, but still received no notification for any delivery date... I guess we'll still have to wait a bit in Europe.

Don, you really seem to be much impressed by the WMR Reprojection (let's call it Motion Verctor, I guess), how do you feel it compares to Oculus ASW ?? I'm actually a bit bothered by the occasionnal tearing and artifacts in the Rift S.

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

Hi Don and Imacken, and thanks a lot for your tips and advice, they'll help me a lot once I receive my G2. Ordered it on 8th of August on Amazon Spain, but still received no notification for any delivery date... I guess we'll still have to wait a bit in Europe.

Don, you really seem to be much impressed by the WMR Reprojection (let's call it Motion Verctor, I guess), how do you feel it compares to Oculus ASW ?? I'm actually a bit bothered by the occasionnal tearing and artifacts in the Rift S.

It is actually better imho, not so much artifacts/ghosting like in Oculus ASW.

And it stays really smooth. I got as low over water and land in the Hornet today I dared to get (50ft), full speed with afterburner, and the terrain moved along

very smoothly , no stutter that I could perceive. I was surprised as I always thought Oculus had the best reprojection with their ASW.

In my opinion this is better.

Don B

That is good to hear Don, I am still rocking the CV1 and the ASW can cause some pretty annoying issues. I fly the WWII birds and ASW and some of the aircraft have issues in the cockpit and when dogfighting the wings of the aircraft glitch, it almost looks like they are flapping :lol:

Have you seen these issues?

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

That is good to hear Don, I am still rocking the CV1 and the ASW can cause some pretty annoying issues. I fly the WWII birds and ASW and some of the aircraft have issues in the cockpit and when dogfighting the wings of the aircraft glitch, it almost looks like they are flapping :lol:

Have you seen these issues?

Biggest problem I observed with ASW in my Rift S was ghosting of planes as they flew past me.

Don B

Seeing a lot of talk about 60/90hz. As a g1 owner it was plug a play for me to go to the g2. If you guys haven't messed with it I would suggest leaving it at 90hz, go to the steam vr setting folder, set motion reprojection to "motion vector". It locks the frames at 45fps and is butter and at 45fps it gives your GPU headroom to crank the visuals. Hope this helps.

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

Seeing a lot of talk about 60/90hz. As a g1 owner it was plug a play for me to go to the g2. If you guys haven't messed with it I would suggest leaving it at 90hz, go to the steam vr setting folder, set motion reprojection to "motion vector". It locks the frames at 45fps and is butter and at 45fps it gives your GPU headroom to crank the visuals. Hope this helps.

Interesting, will give that a shot little later on today thanks.

Don B

I went into Steam VR video settings - did not see a reference to "motion vector". Under the DCS settings in Steam VR, I set motion smoothing to force 45 fps always on, would that basically be the same thing?

Don B