FW190D9 can't dogfight.

Snapage

Indeed. The K4 was used mainly to destroy bombers that flew @ 6-7000m, hence the 30mm cannon. Without the MW50 is just artificially handicapped so it can be easily caught up by P51 or Spits, having nothing to do with reality.

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk

My dream is G-6 with mw50 :) Bf 109G-6/U3 AKA G-14

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

My dream is G-6 with mw50 :) Bf 109G-6/U3 AKA G-14

A G14 with the option of wing mounted cannons would be awesome. May as well include the 109G6 with it because it's the same plane just without MW50. It's the obvious way to go if ED were going to make another flyable 109.

Not every one have pleasure of having throttle with detent. I personaly in the heat of battle very often riding in mw-50 throttle range.

You can tweak your Y saturation temporarily on your throttle to prevent it going further than 1.45ATA.

You'll have a nice heavy G6 with that, that never overheats :)

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

You can tweak your Y saturation temporarily on your throttle to prevent it going further than 1.45ATA.

You'll have a nice heavy G6 with that, that never overheats :)

If you have a dual throttle, you could use one for full range, the other for limited range.

But be careful. When using custom curves, pushing the limited throttle full fwd, will give full fwd to the sim, as the last value is always full value.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

I am not an expert but as far as I know most of the ww2 german fighter have been energy fighter so its not a surprise that they are bad at turnfights.

Probably it needs lot more experience , skill and tactical maneuvering knowledge to be able to use the advantage of these german fighters sucessfully.

I guess in MP you have to learn and accept that you have to boom and zoom because dogfighting will only work against "incompetent" opponents and if you do it you have to accept that you will be probably handicapped.

I think there is nothing wrong with that its not balanced perfectly for the sake of MP and you are forced to use realistic tactics . Thats why we play DCS and not that other sim but even there when I have played it a lot after its release the balance and working tactic between these fighters have been almost the same . German fighers boomed and zoomed than had to ran while spifires and p51s wanted turnfights.

I rather being shot down flying the dora 9 times out 10 while trying to fight in handicapped situations for this plane against similar skilled opponents instead of 5/10 and having a rather unrealistic result.

Edited by Sharkh

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

I am not an expert but as far as I know most of the ww2 german fighter have been energy fighter so its not a surprise that they are bad at turnfights.

Probably it needs lot more experience , skill and tactical maneuvering knowledge to be able to use the advantage of these german fighters sucessfully.

I guess in MP you have to learn and accept that you have to boom and zoom because dogfighting will only work against "incompetent" opponents and if you do it you have to accept that you will be probably handicapped.

I think there is nothing wrong with that its not balanced perfectly for the sake of MP and you are forced to use realistic tactics . Thats why we play DCS and not that other sim but even there when I have played it a lot after its release the balance and working tactic between these fighters have been almost the same . German fighers boomed and zoomed than had to ran while spifires and p51s wanted turnfights.

I rather being shot down flying the dora 9 times out 10 while trying to fight in handicapped situations for this plane against similar skilled opponents instead of 5/10 and having a rather unrealistic result.

All fighters are energy fighters. I am not againts realism I just think the FW190D9 may be underperforming because of engine overheating problems. If you find yourself unable to extend away from a spitfire mid fight you can probably assume your engine is damaged.

I just find you can't do aggressive vertical maneuvers in the plane without the engine being damaged and then underperforming. It may be more then this, I don't know. Maybe MW50 is broken again.

I know the P51D climbs much better after the last few updates which is another major driver behind the FW190D9 not being able to compete. Dont know if there is a fix for that. At the moment in my opinion germany only has one fighter, the ME109K4.

I like the air to air combat in WW2 Sims for the close range dog fights and furballs. I like the challenge of outmanuevering a formidable oponent for a victory and seeing planes fly everywhere in chaos. That's why I play DCS WW2. If there were no 109K4s in DCS WW2 there would be no incentive for me to do DCS WW2. Dominating in a superior aircraft or have to run away in an inferior aircraft is very boring. I would have to find a sim with a better plane match up.

All fighters are energy fighters. I am not againts realism I just think the FW190D9 may be underperforming because of engine overheating problems. If you find yourself unable to extend away from a spitfire mid fight you can probably assume your engine is damaged.

I just find you can't do aggressive vertical maneuvers in the plane without the engine being damaged and then underperforming. It may be more then this, I don't know. Maybe MW50 is broken again.

I know the P51D climbs much better after the last few updates which is another major driver behind the FW190D9 not being able to compete. Dont know if there is a fix for that. At the moment in my opinion germany only has one fighter, the ME109K4.

I like the air to air combat in WW2 Sims for the close range dog fights and furballs. I like the challenge of outmanuevering a formidable oponent for a victory and seeing planes fly everywhere in chaos. That's why I play DCS WW2. If there were no 109K4s in DCS WW2 there would be no incentive for me to do DCS WW2. Dominating in a superior aircraft or have to run away in an inferior aircraft is very boring. I would have to find a sim with a better plane match up.

Sorry I called them energy fighters because as I know in comparison the german fighters with their opponents the german fighters supposed to have a measurable advantage in maximum speed and gaining energy but this make them worse in turning so thats why they have to use different tactics like boom and zoom while their opponents was known for they turnfight capabilities.

Engine power and climb rate is one thing but its also important how much speed you will gain during the dive and how much of that gained energy will lost with the next climb. According to my reading about these fighters in the past In theory the Dora would bleeed more speed during turns than the spitfire or mustang thanks to its airframe design but woukd gain more speed while diving and I guess its tolerance of high speed is also higher. I am not sure how my sources was historically or technically accurate though but this is what I have gathered some time ago.

I am not an expert at all but I think that if you wanna test really that the Dora is undeperforming or not compared to the real thing than you should also test how long can it retains its energy in cimbing and diving pattern without hard turns because in theory it should beat these ally fighters in this department.

If someone would have a direct comparison of performance of the real things from experts who experienced them from first hand that would be really interesting.

Btw yesterday I have started to fly the dora again after a huge break and I did not experience any overheating issue yet using the beta.

Edited by Sharkh

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

Btw yesterday I have started to fly the dora again after a huge break and I did not experience any overheating issue yet using the beta.

No overheating on my side as well.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Unfortunately, there IS an issue with the Dora's engine. It does lose performance and seizes afterwards in a steep climbing turn, even if it's in Continuous power setting of 3000rpm. That's definitely new behavior. And I agree with Snapage here that the Dora can be easily caught up by the Spitfire even after a steep dive.

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I did 20 minutes test full military power, i was doing loops, wing overs was slowing down to 100kph at the top. My coolant temp went up to 110C maximum, which is allowable, Oil temp never exceeded 130C.

I think combat damage had play role here, because at aerobatics server you can run full power for 30 min w/o any harm for engine.

And if you want get away from spit 3250rpm + mw50 must be engaged.

Edited by grafspee

I did 20 minutes test full military power, i was doing loops, wing overs was slowing down to 100kph at the top. My coolant temp went up to 110C maximum, which is allowable, Oil temp never exceeded 130C.

I think combat damage had play role here, because at aerobatics server you can run full power for 30 min w/o any harm for engine.

And if you want get away from spit 3250rpm + mw50 must be engaged.

How do you know the engine is bit damaged? There is no indication apart from loss in speed you can still fly but you are much slower.

How do you know the engine is bit damaged? There is no indication apart from loss in speed you can still fly but you are much slower.

Easy, you land and call for repairs.I had this power loss numerous times,but it was effect of combat damage in all my cases, unfortunately in combat servers, lack of any sounds of bullets impacts on your plane makes it extremely difficult to rule this out.

When i land P-51 it is always damaged :P after extreme aerobatics, full power loop is 100% certain that you will get over heat.

Edited by grafspee

I find boom and zoom to work really well. If you are turning in it, you are going to get clobbered. The FW190A works the same way, but having less speed you really need an altitude advantage to do it. And good timing probably. The D9, I saved myself the other day with a power climb. It had the left wing full of holes, but it did work. Little seems to catch it in a full power climb.

The Me109K4, you can do a bit of both. If the Mw50 is operating you can boom and zoom, but it has, with the flaps and slats, the ability to turn. Well, if you are turning left anyway, its a little bit more awkward if you are going right, you have to unload first.

Easy, you land and call for repairs.I had this power loss numerous times,but it was effect of combat damage in all my cases, unfortunately in combat servers, lack of any sounds of bullets impacts on your plane makes it extremely difficult to rule this out.

When i land P-51 it is always damaged :P after extreme aerobatics, full power loop is 100% certain that you will get over heat.

The loss of power happens due to heating issues I believe. Nothing to do with battle damage. The FW190D9 seems to overheat very easily in a climb.

The loss of power happens due to heating issues I believe. Nothing to do with battle damage. The FW190D9 seems to overheat very easily in a climb.

Like i said not in my Fw190. No overheat noticed.

When my fw 190 starts to overheat i must drop to 100 kph in climb, then manually opening cowl flaps don't change a thing because auto already have them opened to 100%

Edited by grafspee

No, 3250 rpm without MW is for Jumo 213 regular combat setting.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Is it possible that people who are overheating have forgotten to turn on the MW50? The default position is off. Its a mistake I made for some time in my Kurfurst. So many burned out Daimler Benz engines. :D

MW50 would provide additional cooling only in case when would be no ATA increas, But ATA is increased significantly when mw50 is engaged. And this makes engine hotter

Bf 109 k-4 has different throttle setup, which allow high ATA w/o mw50. This is cause for detonation which kills the engine. In case Fw190 MW50 system when engaged allow higher ATA, so additional boost is isolated from throttle alone.

Edited by grafspee

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1878294&postcount=26

Quote: "The system was sensitive not only to the fluid pressure but also to the pressure of propellant air after emptying the tank. On the one hand it required constant pilot’s attention to avoid "dry running" at emergency power boost that could ruin the engine, and on the other, it possibly could be a reason to implement reduced "dry" boost rate (1900 hp) that was considered safe."

I think my engine quit when the rear tank emptied and it switched to the fwd tank during climbing and maneuvering. Can you verify this?

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

MW50 would provide additional cooling only in case when would be no ATA increas, But ATA is increased significantly when mw50 is engaged. And this makes engine hotter

Bf 109 k-4 has different throttle setup, which allow high ATA w/o mw50. This is cause for detonation which kills the engine. In case Fw190 MW50 system when engaged allow higher ATA, so additional boost is isolated from throttle alone.

My bad, im not as familiar with the D9 as I am the K4.

Maybe your mw50 tank got emptied.

Nope.. After 5 minutes in air and I only engage it when climbing, mostly..

Specs:

Settings:

Some ideas: Maybe because it was easier to fly and operate than a Bf-109K? Or they were more readily available. Or the pilots were already trained on it. Or it performed better in real than it does in DCS. :smartass:

I highly suggest the series by Eddie J creek and J. Richard Smith on the 262 as well as the series on the 190. Explains many things.

Nope.. After 5 minutes in air and I only engage it when climbing, mostly..

Wait, what you lost engine after 5 min ?? WOW.