Hornet Bit page errors

diegoepoimaria01

Hi all :D

I'm slowly learning the Hornet ( Amazing machine ), and step by step I'm starting to understand it.

As of now tough, I can't figure it out how to clear all the errors in the DDI BIT page ...

Even the FCS, in the end I'm able to clear out the various errors, but I'm never sure on the correct procedure or the correct sequence to follow.

Also, what does PBIT and RESTRICTED means ?

I guess that Restricted means something like " degraded performances " , but in practice, what does happens ?

PBIT I guess that is something like Power-up Built-In Test, but then ?

Do I need to perform anohter test ?

Do I need to just wait ?

I tought that it might be because it's still in Early Access , but I'm not sure ...

I've searched online, but no luck.

I've searched this forum, and still no luck ...

Also, startup procedures does not contemplate the BIT page in full ...

So, does anyone knows something ?

Thanks for the help :D

PBIT = Periodic BIT. The system checks it self on its own occasionally.

RESTRT = Restart the process. (Not sure this is actually implemented)

DEGD = Degraded. Might be as simple as the system is not turned on or will not work weight on wheels.

NOT RDY = Not ready.

GO = operational.

Not all systems are complete or will be but this should help.

Good flying.

Edited by Odey

i5-10600KF, 16Gb DDR4, GTX1660 Super, HP Reverb G2, TM Cougar, TM Warthog

DEGD = Degraded. Might be as simple as the system is not turned on or will not work weight on wheels.

NOT RDY = Not ready.

GO = operational.

Good flying.

In some cases...PBIT is short for preflight bit. As in the case of flight controls...you have a P-BIT which is a preflight/periodic bit, and an M-BIT, which is a maintenance bit.

As with most cases and ancronyms...they overlap depending on the context.

Edited by Rainmaker

In some cases...PBIT is short for preflight bit. As in the case of flight controls...you have a P-BIT which is a preflight/periodic bit, and an M-BIT, which is a maintenance bit.

That's affirmative. Nothing is ever that simple. Like Two, To and Too.

Of course with a 900+ page manual it might be complicated. :shocking:

For flight controls, you do the following.

1. Flaps to auto

2. Clear xxx's from fcs page by clicking fcs reset button

2. Fcs Bit page on right ddi

3. Hold fcs bit switch

4. Press fcs bit button

5. You'll hear a beeping tone when its complete

6. Set flaps to half for takeoff

For HMD bit:

1. Power up hmd with knob on the right front side of cockpit

2. Click displays from main bit page

3. Click hmd bit button

4. Observe the test images on the hmd

5. Click stop on the bit page

6. Hmd will change to GO

For RWR:

1. Power up rwr (alr-67) from lower center switch panel, below center DDI

2. Press rwr bit button, you'll hear the tones of the rwr going off

Edited by sigfan86

System: Ryzen 5900x, G.Skill 3600 32GB, MSI 4090 suprim liquid X, samsung odyssey+ headset 

1. Flaps to auto

3. Hold fcs bit switch

4. Press fcs bit button

Also disable nose wheel steering. Holding the BIT switch was tricky for me at first. I didn't realize you could "double tap" the left mouse button. Between these two things it took me forever to get the FCS BIT to work.

NOT RDY = Not ready.

GO = operational.

Good flying.

Ok, so I was totally wrong on acronyms ... GREAT :cry::doh::lol:

Yes, I tought that some things might not be completed, just I didn't know what they were, and so If I were missing something in the test procedure.

Ok, so a PBIT as in Periodic BIT means that the system is go ? Or that I need sto still do something ?

That's affirmative. Nothing is ever that simple. Like Two, To and Too.

Of course with a 900+ page manual it might be complicated. :shocking:

Indeed :book::helpsmilie:

1. Flaps to auto

3. Hold fcs bit switch

4. Press fcs bit button

For HMD bit:

1. Power up hmd with knob on the right front side of cockpit

2. Click displays from main bit page

3. Click hmd bit button

4. Observe the test images on the hmd

5. Click stop on the bit page

6. Hmd will change to GO

For RWR:

1. Power up rwr (alr-67) from lower center switch panel, below center DDI

2. Press rwr bit button, you'll hear the tones of the rwr going off

Also disable nose wheel steering. Holding the BIT switch was tricky for me at first. I didn't realize you could "double tap" the left mouse button. Between these two things it took me forever to get the FCS BIT to work.

When you say: "fcs bit switch", is it the one on the right hand side panel, that is controlled with the Y key, correct ?

Yes, I have found that procedure by trying, but I think that I was missing the final flap part ... that should clear the "restart" message, correct ?

I've heard the beeping tone tough.

Also, If I press the FCS reset button and the fcs bit switch , the system will perform another test ( 10 repetitions of flap and slat up and down ).

How and when do you perform that ?

And on a carrier, when the wings are spread only at the end, on the cat, how's the procedure ?

I guess it will be as you were describing and then controls wipeout on the catapult, correct?

And also, I've read that the final chekers are the guys behind the plane, crouched down and angled to resiste the engine blast after the launch ( my bad english does not allow me to better explain this , sorry ) , that will check for any hydraulic fluid leak because the wings are spread only on the catapult ...

HMD: So you , the pilot, are the tester ... I tought that it was taking too long ... :doh:

RWR: yes, but still, I've got a pbit like indication ... not a go ... So Pbit in that case is a go ?

Also, I see test messages on the rwr scope down right, correct ?

Guys, THANKS , and sorry for another load of questions, but really really thanks :D :pilotfly:

EDIT: I've just quickly tested, and now it's working better. Just, If i have a PBIT GO, it measn that I'm good to go, correct ?

But, for example, I still have Weapons and somethign I don't remember as "DEGD" , that should means "Degraded", correct ?

Also, I've noted that the warning is also for things that aren't there, like the TPOD if it's not installed or the Beacon, that isn't implemented, and in that case is "OFF", correct ?

Edited by diegoepoimaria01

PBIT GO is all good. Weapon DEGD occurs if you have no weapons, WoW and I believe ARM switch off. Beacon is not implemented at the moment. TPOD may show NOT RDY if not installed IIRC. I never cleared the MIDS, BCN maybe a couple more. Seems you're on the right track.

PBIT GO is all good. Weapon DEGD occurs if you have no weapons, WoW and I believe ARM switch off. Beacon is not implemented at the moment. TPOD may show NOT RDY if not installed IIRC. I never cleared the MIDS, BCN maybe a couple more. Seems you're on the right track.

Oooh, ok, so PBIT GO is good, ok! :joystick:

So, now I'm down to:

Flir and LTDR "NOT RDY" , and that's correct, since they aren't onboard ( well, Flir can be, but I guess that the LTDR is the Nite hawk. or maybe the passive side , right one, that is only a lser spot tracker ( but that's an educated guess, not supported by facts ).

CLC is still NOT RDY, but I don't even know what it is ...

It's in "stores" but I can't even start that test.

On the ohter hand tough, From "stores" I was able to test weapons, by click on "ALL", and so triggering test for everything except CLC ... But they seems to be in "in test" for a while, and then get back to DRGD ... I don't know.

ALE-47 Seems to be on only without WOW, I guess, so that test must be delayed.

EDIT: Yes, it works when there's no WOW, ok :D

RWR Is always in RESTR ... but I've done the test ... Am I missing something there ?

Then I have:

-IFF => NOT RDY If I've understood correctly, it's not yet there, ok.

-D/L => NOT RDY ??? I have no clue ...

-MIDS => NOT RDY It's like the Link 16, if I've understood correctly ... But I don't know how to use it yet.

-Beacon => OFF And this too should not have been implemented yet.

-DMS => It's in the Display page, but no clue ...

-AUG => DEGD ??? I have no clue ...

But, on the other hand, I was able to check all the nav page ( ecept for the Beacon of course ).

Weird, you need to turn on ILS and TACAN, but you also need to enter in the ils system a channel , even if it's not real ... Or maybe it was just terribly slow ... I'm not totally sure there ...

Ok, that's concludes my BIT page adventure for tonight ... See you all tomorrow :D

In the meantime I'll try to find a real Hornet Manual and sees what I can find there.

Does someone have one ? :P

EDIT:

There might be a bug: Radar is PBIT GO even if the radar knob is set to OFF.

Is it correct ? Shouldn't there be an OFF there ?

Edited by diegoepoimaria01

The CLC won't turn on without a harm loaded.

Ah, thanks. I know I had cleared that fault before but had no idea why. Tried to find what CLC stands for but it wasn’t in the NATOPS manual. Anybody know what CLC is ?

Ah, thanks. I know I had cleared that fault before but had no idea why. Tried to find what CLC stands for but it wasn’t in the NATOPS manual. Anybody know what CLC is ?

Command Launch Computer

Normally in Aeronautical language, the acronym PBIT means Power up Built In Test, it is the system test when it is powered up.

For continuous test the acronym is CBIT Continuous Built In Test.

When a test is initiated by the user (pilot or mechanic) it is called IBIT Initiated Built In Test.

I hope it helps and clarify the questions on the first post, also to check if BIT page is working properlly.

Regards.

Normally in Aeronautical language, the acronym PBIT means Power up Built In Test, it is the system test when it is powered up.

When a test is initiated by the user (pilot or mechanic) it is called IBIT Initiated Built In Test.

I hope it helps and clarify the questions on the first post, also to check if BIT page is working properlly.

Regards.

Oh ... Many many thanks :D

So A PBIT is something the system does alone.

PBIT GO i think means that the system is ready for the IBIT , that is shown as "IN TEST".

CBIT is never shown, I think, correct ?

Ok, I'm reading the manual, Page 237, and he things are absolutely not clear ... aaaargh!

As of now, I have read that the full test should take like 2.5 minutes ... with the AUTO button ... let's try that and we'll see.

Regards.

A PBIT is a Periodic BIT.

While we're at this...JHMCS.

I have a scramble mission; 4 SU-25s are about to hammer at an undefended base, so strap in, fire up, take off, burn on 3 bags, then get shot down by one of the 25s. I got 1 with a missile and 2 with guns before the 4th one got me, but anyway...

In the time it takes to light off the engines, fly to the zone, and engage the bad guys (several minutes) the JHMCS is still in test. Seriously? I need that off-bore 9x, please and thank you...

Should I start the self test on that thing the night before I need it?

<edit>

Realized all the words were English but the post wasn't. It's a little better now.

</edit>

While we're at this...JHMCS.

I have a scramble mission; 4 SU-25s are about to hammer at an undefended base, so strap in, fire up, take off, burn on 3 bags, then get shot down by one of the 25s. I got 1 with a missile and 2 with guns before the 4th one got me, but anyway...

In the time it takes to light off the engines, fly to the zone, and engage the bad guys (several minutes) the JHMCS is still in test. Seriously? I need that off-bore 9x, please and thank you...

Should I start the self test on that thing the night before I need it?

<edit>

Realized all the words were English but the post wasn't. It's a little better now.

</edit>

No, actually the tester is you ... 4 patterns will be displayed and then you press stop. After that, it goes into GO status.

:D

In the meantime, the Hornet manual reports this:

Page 235

2.20.3 Avionic BIT. In most instances, two types of BIT are mechanized, periodic and initiated.

Periodic BIT begins functioning upon equipment power application. It provides a failure detection

capability that is somewhat less than that provided by initiated BIT in that it does not interfere with

normal equipment operation.

So ok, Periodic Bit and Initiated Bit.

Interesting are:

GO => All systems => Initiated BIT completed without

failure.

PBIT GO => All systems except MC1, MC2, and RWR => IBIT has not been initiated and the system periodic BIT is not reporting any failures.

RESTRT => All systems except MC1, MC2, and RWR => Reinitialize BIT; equipment did not respond to BIT command, remained in BIT too long and was terminated by MC.

Also, important, I have RWR that is always in RESTRT , so it should means that the IBIT was not properly initiated ...

No, actually the tester is you ... 4 patterns will be displayed and then you press stop. After that, it goes into GO status.

:D

Failed again! At least I'm sticking to those things at which I am good.

Also, important, I have RWR that is always in RESTRT , so it should means that the IBIT was not properly initiated ...

This

I'm just getting into 'proper' start up, other than a steadfast refusal to let Bitchin' Betty-Lou tell me "Engine fire left..."

Ok, I had wrote a reply message, but obviously it got cancelled ... :wallbash:

I've tried some more, but in the end, I still got the same resutls ...

BIT that are not bitting....

Procedure seems to be correct from what I've read on the real hornet manual ...

The ED manual does not says mutch about BIT, so ...

At this point I think it's a real "issue" ... either it's yet to do or it's a real bug.

Now, do devs read this forum or do I have to write somewhere ?

Or maybe rere are FAQ's around that I don't know ...

I'm a "BIT" ( :P ) confused as of now ...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I've been able to <s>harass</s> ... ask to a Hornet pilot, and it seems that the whole BIT batch is rarely used, or at least, not for a "normal" start.

It seems that only the FCS reset is performed ( button on the left hand console), then FCS bit is performed ( Y+button on the MDF ), then, if it's cold, FCS Reset button + Y to execute 10 repetitions of surface moving ( but if it's hot, it can even overheat the actuators ), then Fuel Bit ( that it seems to be not working in our DCS Hornet ) and Oxygen bit ( that it's surely not modelled ).

And that's it ...

• 2 years later...

Why I´m getting only "restart" for RWR. SOMETIMES (dunno how I did it) got pbit go (it comes from "power bit on", in hornet the systems have "built in alltime testdata" that comes from most of the systems. So the "pbit go" just means the testprogram itself have not been separately runned, BUT the built in "alltime when power on data seems good to hornet->pbit go". So it just means the system, while the test has not been done, does not send any error data (like alarms etc..). But confused with that "restart". What does it actually mean. I always test rwr just like described in this topic (RWR on -> press rwr test button (most left one of rwr buttons), sometimes it gives pbit on, but USUALLY restart. Why restart? And what does that "restart the process" even mean? (manual says it means "restart the process".. :P) But yeah those who asked about pbit go. You can go with that with most systems. It ofc does not mean there is not ANY errors found, because when pbit go, test has not been run. (in dcs it kinda does, if not random errors on :P). Thats why i wonder also why rwr does not EVER give just "go" in dcs, even it can be easily tested. But more confusing is that restart. Maby it is some other test that gets rwr test "out from the loop" and something in the "process" has to be restarted to even get results from rwr. Is it just dcs? Or I´m i really doing something wrong? Sometimes when I dear to push the auto button, and wait LONG it and AFTER that when i test rwr i get one time pbit go. but if i dear to test it again "restart". I think it is something in the order of tests, or that i start something from bit page that i stop too early or something. Still it is confusing why the rwr test is so weird, as it should be kinda the easiest one with own bit button etc, and easy when read from manual 😛 but.. Could it have something to do with alignments? Or some other EW tests? (that I get that restart). These are things that does not really matter, but when really want to put effort to do things right, easily get "stuck" in these.. 

Edited by Wiggo