AGM-88 Ship

Thunderbird

No. A Harm usually only destroyes the radar (dish), but not more.

Only in real life, but not in DCS, as it is not possible to destroy certain subsystems of a ground/sea unit in DCS.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If you search the code, you will find a Life points for each of vehicle, ship in DCS and than equation how much damage the weapon can deal to it on basis of warhead type and weight.

Very simple and easy way to deal with damage, but totaly unrealistic, especialy with floating ship and any unit with fragile system on it (SAMs). Luckily this is WIP and we will see new system in future... when? Never ask this question!

Note:

The ship are lacking any kind of damage model taking in account the hull of the ship and structures above it. You can hit structures and take out all of hit points and ship will sunk, even if the hull stays intact.

Edited by GumidekCZ

HARMs should be effective at killing ship RADARs, but we have 2 problems

1.) The HARM in DCS doesn't guide on the actual emitter it's homing on (when it absolutely should). It just goes for the centre - something that it shouldn't be doing.

2.) The damage models for ships are incredibly crude, with basically no damage models for individual subsystems. The only thing we get is graphical damage in predefined locations of varying quality (and even that can be improved).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

No. A Harm usually only destroyes the radar (dish), but not more. Definitly not enough to kill a ship.

Actually IRL the HARM is designed to make the radar operator turn his radar OFF. Most of the time the HARM misses. On a very happy day it might actually hit the target radar and damage it enough to make the radar inop. Its a SEAD weapon not a DEAD weapon.

But outside of specialized IADS scripts, the core DCS game radar operators basically never turn the radar off, so the HARM in that case has to be DEAD weapon.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1.) The HARM in DCS doesn't guide on the actual emitter it's homing on (when it absolutely should). It just goes for the centre - something that it shouldn't be doing.

2.) The damage models for ships are incredibly crude, with basically no damage models for individual subsystems. The only thing we get is graphical damage in predefined locations of varying quality (and even that can be improved).

The radar model for the ships is also a joke. Most ships have multiple radar systems for search, tracking, guidance, point defense and so forth.

Also, real ships have things like jammers and countermeasures...

Also, I don't actually know, but do the CIWS/Shorads on ships engage HARMS?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah, isn't that the same for AI units too? As in RADAR is crudely simulated?

I know on Russian ships for instance, the FCR for the SA-N-4 and SA-N-9 have an independent search RADAR mounted on them.

There's other things to, the MR-123 FCR for the AK-630 should have a search mode, as should the RPK-2 on the Shilka...

As for CIWS, it should engage anything that it can see AFAIK, I noticed that bombs never seem to be engaged...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

While I'm DCS's biggest fan the damage modeling over all in DCS is one of my biggest disappointments with the SIM. You can drop a MK82 right next to a vehicle and it drive away with little to no damage. You can drop a GBU-10 on a ship and it hardly phases it. I served in the NAVY aboard two ships USS Crommelin FFG-37 and USS New Jersey BB-62 and let me tell you, if a ship took a hit from any one of the weapons available in DCS it would suffer sever damage and impact that ships ability to continue its mission. Here's a reminder of what one missile can do to a ship https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:USS_Stark_(FFG-31)_listing_after_missile_hit_in_the_Persian_Gulf_on_18_May_1987.jpeg

Yeah, and those things are notorious at SINKEX

System:

I'm still waiting for someone writing here: "don't put any ship into your mission, otherwise you will see incredible stupid things and wait for any part of ED team to fix all these sophisticated systems and DM, when they are able to find time for it."

ED can we help you any way with it?

Btw: in RL ground based Phalanx able to shoot down mortar or artillery shells.

2 is not true for at least some ships. On some you can disable the AA launchers on the front or rear of the ship independently. If you blow up the ones on the front, the ship won't launch at you until you go around the back where the remaining launchers can see you.

2 is not true for at least some ships. On some you can disable the AA launchers on the front or rear of the ship independently. If you blow up the ones on the front, the ship won't launch at you until you go around the back where the remaining launchers can see you.

Can you say which ship in particular? Because I'll test, I've never seen anything apart from localised graphical damage.

System: