Ho does LOFC plays on a wide screen flat display?

JEFX

I am considering changing my old CRT (Viewsonic P220f, 22 inches) to a bigger and more recent flat display (say the beautiful VX2835wm 27.5 inches from Viewsonic).

My questions are:

1) How does LOFC plays on such a display?, is the image streched or deformed or does it look good?

2) Does it eat up more ressources (fps)?

3) What in your opinion is the best choice for large flat displays?

My system specs are: Core2Duo E6600, 2Gigs of RAM and nVIdia GeForce 7950GX2

thanks!

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

I can say one thing - take immadietly big monitor for FC!

I use 20'' LCD and Iam so happy, image is big, not stretched.

About fps, of course if you played in 1024x768 and go to 2500x1800 it must be equal of lower FPS. But you can go lower with graphic settings. FC much gain on big monitors with good resolutions.

I cannot help with displays but one rule is rather good. If you have much money buy very big LCD. Not only for FC, but other games also beautiful look, example FSX, Half-Life, ect. It is worth of money.

• Like 1

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Thanks for your quick reply Boberro.

I use actually 1600x1200 res. with pretty much everything maxed (exept water medium) and I have ok fps (not great) and the game looks awesome!

My question about stretching is that (I may no understand fully how those resolution work...) but if the image is good (which it is here now) at 1600x1200, how can it remain with the same proportions at 1920x1200?

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

At 1920x1200 you have 1.6 propotions like me now at 1680x1050. Default Lock on sets 1.33 propotion which on 1920x1200 won't be good, like on mine, so you have to only write 1.6 (in graphics.cfg)than 1.33 and you have picture propotions like old resolution. It isn't too big resolution jump, I guess FPS will be same or maybe few lower, example 2, 3.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

As was said either by using LOCFG or manually editing the graphics.cfg file you can run Lock-On in any resolution without stretching.

I'm running on a Dell 27" @ 1920x1200 so have the following entry.

}
DisplayMode
{
   resolution = {1920, 1200};
   bpp = 32;
   fullscreen = 1;
   aspect = 1.6;
   Interface
   {
       bpp = 32;
       fullscreen = 1;
       aspect = 1.6;
   }
   Simulation
   {
       bpp = 32;
       fullscreen = 1;
       aspect = 1.6;
   }
   AVI
   {
       resolution = {640, 480};
       fullscreen = 0;
       aspect = 1.3333;
   }
}

Not too sure on your personal FPS hit but should be a minimum hit with your system. Depends upon your ingame settings.

ATM with everything max (except water @ high) I'm looking @ 40-50 fps average in the su-25T pit so you should have roughly similar results.

• Like 1

"No matter where you go, there you are"

Intel E-8400 "Wolfdale" - Asus Maximus Formula - Swiftech H2O 120

4 Gb G.Skill PC2-8000C5 - EVGA 8800 GTS 512 - Dell 2707WFP

WD Caviar 500Gb - Vista 64

Man, I feel like I'm looking through a keyhole now with my 19" widescreen! Pretty soon y'all are going to be talking about upgrading to 50" plasmas or something.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you fly a perfect Defensive BFM and the bandit does a perfect Offensive...

Someone you know is going to be recieving Insurance money very soon.

FYI.

Im using a 1080p 37inch LCD screen at 1920x1080 with absolutely no problems at all, Core2 Duo Quad 6700 + 8800 GTX

You can get a similar screen now for around Ј600GBP ( LG Electronics 37LF66 ), which is around the same price as the Dell 27inch afaik......the 30inch Dell is more like Ј800 GBP, both awesome screens, I have the 24inch version on my second machine.

Quality, brightness, size are all awesome on this LCD TV, I have no issues with tearing or refresh rates etc, so do consider a large LCD TV if you have some pennys as I believe they offer huge value for money.

I work / play on my screen for around 10 hours per day in the games industry......so quality is a must.

Good luck......

Just be aware that if you change thrugh the LOFC interface anything in the config then LOFC will reset the cfg file value back to 1.3333, you have to quit the game, edit the cfg file back to whatever value you want and then start LOFC again. Quite annoying bug.

You use a Cyborg stick? I used to use one of those 'till I got my X52. I could never go back, I can't move it fast enough because the spring is WAY too beefy. I was shocked, though, to find that it was a more comforable design than the X-52. Strange.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you fly a perfect Defensive BFM and the bandit does a perfect Offensive...

Someone you know is going to be recieving Insurance money very soon.

Im using a 1080p 37inch LCD screen at 1920x1080 with absolutely no problems at all, Core2 Duo Quad 6700 + 8800 GTX

I work / play on my screen for around 10 hours per day in the games industry......so quality is a must.

I'm thinking on the idea of using some 37'' full-hd tv instead of my old monitor. Been trying to get some useful information on this subject for a while.

LCD tvs and PC monitors basically use the same technology. But obviously there are some differences. So the main question for me is - how good a tv would be in the role of a monitor (i.e. not just watching films and gaming, but working with text and graphics in a typical windows environment).

Unfortunately there seem to be no good and thorough reviews on this subject. Hardware-oriented online editions ignore this subject for some reason. "OK, gaming is good with this TV" - that's their level for now.

So i'm considering other options - getting my own experience (it involves going to shop and testing) - and obtaining information on other people experience.

Here's the question. Are you working with text processors, drawing graphics? If so, what are the "pros" and "cons" related to the image quality and human physiology?

Well firstly I think viewing distance is very important with a screen this size........fwiw I am sitting around about a 1.25m from my screen.

At that distance I have no eye strain or ANY adverse effects from using a HDTV, its every bit as good as my Dell 2407WFP in terms of sharpness, I actually think the colours are better on this HDTV and also the Brightness.

Whether im using MS Office or gaming the screen performs perfectly, I have yet to observe any tearing in games or movies either, which was my biggest concern pre purchase of this screen due to the slightly slower refresh rates you used to get on the earlier LCD TV's.

I would say that its very important you get a FULL HD screen, 1080p, otherwise your wasting your time, I have a 42inch Plasma in our living room which is 720p running at 1024x768 and its not at all usable for desktop work, for gaming it seems pretty decent however, my PS3 on that screen seems to upscale to 1080i ( not confirmed ) and it looks pretty damn good

Well firstly I think viewing distance is very important with a screen this size........fwiw I am sitting around about a 1.25m from my screen.

I've come to the similar conclusion, though theoretically. The reference point is the (angular) pixel size, most comfortable for a user.

For example, i've got a 19'' 4x3 monitor, resolution 1280x1024, 60cm distance. I want a little bigger pixel. But i don't want to sit closer or lower the screen resolution. Actually it's vice versa - i want to sit farther and have bigger res.

So i need a bigger screen. How big? Details are in the picture.

26'' can give you the same result, as 37'' does - when you put it on the place of your old monitor. But 37'' gives you more - you can actually sit 1.5 times farther, or you can increase FOV and pixel size by sitting only, say, 1.35 times farther. It gives you additional freedom of movement, not mentioning its use as a regular TV set. That's why i like the idea :)

I have yet to observe any tearing in games or movies either, which was my biggest concern pre purchase of this screen due to the slightly slower refresh rates you used to get on the earlier LCD TV's

I'm sorry for my English. What is tearing in this context?

One more question - have you noticed any screen lag? Some people say, it can be about 50ms long, which is quite bad for gaming. 50ms lag is noticeable in shooting/explosion moments.

Seems the Samsung is 8ms and the LG 6ms, that of course depends on whether the tests are both equal, seems there is more than one way of measuring it !

Prices wise the LG seems more expensive in the UK at least....I think the LG is a more modern panel and why its £150 more than the Samsung....

Seems the Samsung is 8ms and the LG 6ms, that of course depends on whether the tests are both equal, seems there is more than one way of measuring it !

I've Samsung 22" 5ms and it's just perfect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

which would be better: Samsung 37M87 or LG 37LF75.

Alright, i've tortured the seller-guys and tested them both, and they have performed VERY differently. The conclusion is - looking at the specs, you cannot say how good a TV would be in the role of a monitor. It's not just about screen resolution, 1920p and "exact" (pixel-to-pixel) connecting mode. I guess it's about LCD matrix quality.

It is very important to get the TV connected to the PC, tune it and test it thoroughly. I've also connected a 30'' Samsung 305 (2560x1600) in "clone" mode for the comparison. When TV is properly connected and tuned, it can be clearly seen, how good it is. Korea-manufactured LG was much better than Samsung with the non-genuine AUO matrix inside. Of course there are models which are 100%-good performers, because they are brand-name and so on. I just want to say that a buyer should be concerned about this issue. There is no guarantee that a TV would be a good monitor.

It's important to mention that you better not place your TV on your desk - it should be positioned lower, so you don't have to strain your eyes looking upwards. If you place your TV so that the lower edge of the screen is just a little higher than the desk surface, then it's alright. The 37'' screen height is about 46cm (18''), so when placed properly, its upper edge would be just a bit higher than your eyes. I'm designing a special "gaming/virtual pilot's" desk for that.

I think that a big screen is awesome. I've placed it close to my 19'' CRT, put them in clone mode. Started LO, "sit" in the cockpit.

Looked at the first screen - "Alright, i see a plane there". Looked at the big one - "OMG, THERE'S A PLANE!!!" )))))

The bottom-line is: a good TV is very acceptable for gaming and work if you want to sit more than 80 cm away from the screen, and you don't like small pixels. But if the distance is less than 80 cm, a 26-30' monitor is more preferable then. If the distance is about 80 cm and you don't like small pixels, a 32'' full HD TV could be optimal (the only one i know is the "gaming" Sharp LC-32GP1U, GP3U-X). But of course it's all subjective, so it's good to get a personal impression.