Open Mod Manager

sedenion

Thanks guys.  I filled in the Manager Options with the path to my .omx file and now my two mods show up on startup.

OMM Manager.png

Edited by Wrecking Crew

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Hi!

Could you offer some guidance on how modify the repo/package file so that when a user queries the repo, he sees a new version?

e.g. mod version 1.0 already on repo

I as admin, update the mod to 1.1

How do I edit the package/repo so that the user wont have to uninstall the old version, and then download the new version with a new version extension?

Thanks!

47 minutes ago, Jestr said:

e.g. mod version 1.0 already on repo

I as admin, update the mod to 1.1

How do I edit the package/repo so that the user wont have to uninstall the old version, and then download the new version with a new version extension?

It is an user choice, the default behavior on download is to remove the older version when a newer version is downloaded, at the condition that the newer version have the same "core name" than the older one. On the "repo" side, you simply have to provide the new version, and remove the old one if you want.

On 1/27/2024 at 1:44 PM, Jestr said:

Someone just posted a bug report about this. Indeed the current release have a bug and the upgrade do not occur properly after download... So, don't insist, this currently doesn't work properly, the bug is identified and will be fixed in the next release.

• Like 2

I probably only use 20% of this mod managers potential but fully appreciate the updates and the flawless operation for my config.  

• Like 2
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

playing around with mod manager at the moment. My squadron would like to step away from OVGME and start using this. Looks good so far.

Noticed something weird though:

It seems that mod folders or livery folders can get very 'dirty', let me explain:

When installing a mod, if there are any files left from a previous install, mod manager starts backing those files up. This results in very large backup files. Now you would think that using the 'discard backupfiles' option might solve this, but it doesn't. That option deletes ALL backup data for that mod, including the fact that the mod was actually installed at that moment. So now mod manager thinks it is not installed at all, but it actually is.

So the only option mod manager now shows, is to install that mod again. Because all the files are already there, the entire mod is backed up again. This results in a complete extra copy of the mod in your backup folder.

3 hours ago, nighteyes2017 said:

It seems that mod folders or livery folders can get very 'dirty', let me explain:

When installing a mod, if there are any files left from a previous install, mod manager starts backing those files up. This results in very large backup files. Now you would think that using the 'discard backupfiles' option might solve this, but it doesn't. That option deletes ALL backup data for that mod, including the fact that the mod was actually installed at that moment. So now mod manager thinks it is not installed at all, but it actually is.

So the only option mod manager now shows, is to install that mod again. Because all the files are already there, the entire mod is backed up again. This results in a complete extra copy of the mod in your backup folder.

Well, it work as expected... Discarding Backup data is indeed here to delete backup data in order to prevent restoring "corrupted" or "out of date" backup data, for example, in the case you missed to uninstall mods before an DCS update...
OMM cannot "guess" that files already present in target folder are not intended to be backuped, he "sees" that files already exists so he backup existing files before overwriting them. If you don't want this to happen, you have to be care to clean your target directory before installing mods using OMM.

• Like 1

yes i understand that it clears out the data. but it clears out the status of the installed mod as well. So it clears out that the mod was installed in the first place and leaves all the files in the modded folder. So you cannot uninstall the mod. backup data or not.

6 minutes ago, nighteyes2017 said:

yes i understand that it clears out the data. but it clears out the status of the installed mod as well. So it clears out that the mod was installed in the first place and leaves all the files in the modded folder. So you cannot uninstall the mod. backup data or not.

Yes... as I said, this is intended, this is to be able to "cancel" installation/backup when necessary, to make as if the Mod where never installed and avoid being forced to "restore" bad data in the target directory.

Technically, OMM determines a Mod is installed by the presence of a corresponding backup data for this mod. If not backup data exists, it stat that this Mod is not installed.

Maybe you expected that the Mod still marked as "installed" and OMM to cleanup all "installed" data when uinstalling the Mod, but this is not how that work: The list of files to cleanup is not deducted at uinstall time, but is created at Mod installation, and is stored in a kind of "uninstall script" in the Mod's backup data. So deleting backup data is deleting this "uninstall script"...

• Like 1

Copy that.

In that case:

Would it not be a good feature then to implement?

It would be nice to be able to clear out the backed up data, then uninstall the mod, thus cleaning out all the installed data?

or maybe an option to not backup data?

Edited by nighteyes2017

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. Happy New Year.

Just a small request; do you think you could make it easier to find the latest release to download from you git site please? I had to find this thread to get a link as it's not clear (at least to me) where to go on your git page. 
Thanks.
You don't see this?
Cheers! bda02615590e67cfe055e77066bd64b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 7:15 PM, sedenion said:

Open Mod Manager allow you to target both Locations within the same Software Contexts, or to create multiple Software Contexts... in fact, everything is very modulable and customisable, that's probably why you have some troubles. Don't fear to create some dummy Software Context to test and understands how things works.

Notice that, the Software Context main folder can be created anywhere you want and even moved later... it is only a "container" to store configurations, mods, backups etc.

1. -> First create a Software Context, names it "DCS Word" with a Target Location pointing to DCS main installation folder.
  2. -> Once created, select the "DCS Word" Software Context you just created, then you can add a new Target Location pointing to DCS saved games folder.
  3. -> You now can store installable mods in the Library folder of each corresponding Target Location (Main install folder, or Saved game).

Your Software Context folder should appear like this:

• 🗀 DCS World Mods
    • 🗀 Target Main Folder
      • 🗀 Library <- Here you store installable mods
      • 🗀 Backup  <- Backup data stored here
    • 🗀 Target Saved Games
      • 🗀 Library <- Here you store installable mods
      • 🗀 Backup <- Backup data stored here

There is no "Context". The only thing I can create initially is a "Hub" and I point it to D:\EagleOMM\DCS

Then a new OMM-190 channel is created pointing to D:\EagleOMM\DCS\OMM-190\

Then a new OMM-190-savedgames channel is created pointing to <my.saved.games>\DCS.openbeta

Edit:

Aaaand it works 🙂

What doesn't is my audio mod installation of which is more complicated as its contents go into both target directories:

D:\EagleOMM\DCS\OMM-190\

and

<my.saved.games>\DCS.openbeta

An example mod I'm trying to enable has its contents arranged like so

D:\EagleOMM\DCS\OMM-190\Library\DCS_WW2_German_Wingmen_Radio_Mod\Sounds\Speech\Sound\ENG\Common\Wingman\1

Edited by Bucic

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Bucic said:

What doesn't is my audio mod installation of which is more complicated as its contents go into both target directories:

D:\EagleOMM\DCS\OMM-190\

and

<my.saved.games>\DCS.openbeta

An example mod I'm trying to enable has its contents arranged like so

D:\EagleOMM\DCS\OMM-190\Library\DCS_WW2_German_Wingmen_Radio_Mod\Sounds\Speech\Sound\ENG\Common\Wingman\1

If the mod require files to be installed at two different locations, such mod must be split in two properly structured parts, then each part enabled within their dedicated channel. Open Mod Manager cannot guess what file goes here and there from a random zip file.

The Mod you provide as example "German Wingmen Radio Speech Mod" should be directly installable by putting the zip file in the Library folder of your main Channel. You can use the "Add Mod(s)" button next the Library path in the main interface, or via the menu Channel > Add Mod(s) to Library

Edited by sedenion

2 hours ago, sedenion said:

If the mod require files to be installed at two different locations, such mod must be split in two properly structured parts, then each part enabled within their dedicated channel. Open Mod Manager cannot guess what file goes here and there from a random zip file.

The Mod you provide as example "German Wingmen Radio Speech Mod" should be directly installable by putting the zip file in the Library folder of your main Channel. You can use the "Add Mod(s)" button next the Library path in the main interface, or via the menu Channel > Add Mod(s) to Library

I switched to a mod requiring two channels I.e. target locations.

I made a copy of the mod in each channel, then removed files unnecessary in respective channels.

It works. Good project! Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I installed Open Mod Manager today to replace OVGME. I got everything set up and then tested DCS to see if I was able to get the community Keybinds back again (they'd previously stopped showing up.) On opening DCS, all the Custom keybinds were there. I shut down both DCS and OMM and then deleted the OVGME application. Came back a little later to fly in DCS and when I got into the settings, the Custom keybinds were gone.

I went back into OMM and when i tried to load the hub I had created for the main DCS World folder, I received a Target Directory Access Error basically saying there was a permissions issue with the main DCS World folder. I tried recreating the hubs and had no issue with the hub I created for the Saved Games folder but still got the Target Directory Error for the main folder. The DCS World folder is marked as Read Only by Windows 11 and cannot be changed. I'm not sure that's the issue as it apparently worked correctly the first time.

I was able to manually install the Quaggles Input injector in the main DCS World folder and everything works, but I'd like to hopefully figure out what the issue is.

@sedenion

EDIT: The solution is to run OMM as administrator.

Edited by mkel2010

Set OMM to run as administrator.

• Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

New "zip" archive library allowing multiple compression algorithm, including Deflate (usual Zip algorithm), LZMA, LZMA2 and Zstandard.

I've just tested with Nanazip (a 7zip clone in MS Store) - .zip - LZMA2. OMM picks up the mod using the "Add mod" [+] and the archive gets added to the hub Library folder but the mod is not visible in the interface mod list.

bloom kill mod by Bucic feat LucShep OMM compat.zip

10 minutes ago, Bucic said:

I've just tested with Nanazip (a 7zip clone in MS Store) - .zip - LZMA2. OMM picks up the mod using the "Add mod" [+] and the archive gets added to the hub Library folder but the mod is not visible in the interface mod list.

Your zip file is not properly structured, this is why OMM doesn't parse it as a valid package. You must either create package using the Package Editor module (from a folder), or you must at least structure your zip file like for OvGME with a "mirror" folder within, meaning, the content files of your Mod must be put within a folder at root of zip file, that is nammed exactly the same as the zip file itself (but without .zip).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sedenion said:

Your zip file is not properly structured, this is why OMM doesn't parse it as a valid package. You must either create package using the Package Editor module (from a folder), or you must at least structure your zip file like for OvGME with a "mirror" folder within, meaning, the content files of your Mod must be put within a folder at root of zip file, that is nammed exactly the same as the zip file itself (but without .zip).

I'm going to use the Package Editor, sorry for bothering you. I'm using the mod as a regular non-zipped folder for now.