So I built a head tracker...

And the sucker actually functions. :megalol:

Now, if the cheap Playstation camera I ordered would get here...

2s.JPG.d0d905a85522bff68647a2a38c85b7be.JPG

1s.JPG.05ea2148ec095bca63fe29a4dfe40e18.JPG

Followed this young man's video. Very thorough.

I added some heat shrink tubing here and there.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

And the sucker actually functions. :megalol:

Now, if the cheap Playstation camera I ordered would get here...

[ATTACH]242663[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]242664[/ATTACH]

Followed this young man's video. Very thorough.

I added some heat shrink tubing here and there.

Awesome! Great job!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

Hope you did not forget the resistor... My first try started to burn while atttached to my head.

Nope, they're under the white heat shrink :thumbup:

and....yikes

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

Mounted nicely with some command strip.

3.jpg.5e79414ea5aa11508b2b3179285871ee.jpg

--Arthur C Clark

Great work! I built mine a couple of years ago. It, plus the PS3 cam, and OT work great together.

Camera arrived today. Pulled the IR lens, installed filter(hunk of floppy disk). Have been trying to get OT set correctly. Head movement is pretty jerky and severe in cockpit. Would you mid sharing your curves?

--Arthur C Clark

Camera arrived today. Pulled the IR lens, installed filter(hunk of floppy disk). Have been trying to get OT set correctly. Head movement is pretty jerky and severe in cockpit. Would you mid sharing your curves?

Here is my current ini file. Just so you know, I occasionally get stutters when rotating views, more of a game issue I think. Just change the file extension to ini from txt.

2.3.11Release.txt

Here is my current ini file. Just so you know, I occasionally get stutters when rotating views, more of a game issue I think. Just change the file extension to ini from txt.

Thanks! :thumbup:

--Arthur C Clark

Did you sandpaper the LEDs? I found it helped a lot to make it more omni-drectional, just to rough oup the LED surface to a light cloudy matt, then some decent curves which took ages to get 'just right'

I did... I've been farting with this setup most of the day, calibrating, setting, calibrating some more and just wouldn't quite work, until I twisted the lens housing on the camera. :music_whistling:

Seems I had it either zoomed in or our...it was on the blue dot position. Seems to prefer the red.

--Arthur C Clark

dp

--Arthur C Clark

Seems I had it either zoomed in or our...it was on the blue dot position. Seems to prefer the red.

When you remove the IR filter it changes the focus point. Here are three small pics from the CLeye driver screen, you can slowly rotate the lens and it will catch near the red side, but not quite. You can see the difference in the sharpness. From left to right: blue, red, in between.

ps3bluesetting.jpg.86fe3d3b88ac7bc60f4b6f85d6ca3d2e.jpg

ps3redsetting.jpg.71facf5e4ed4384bad0ccab935afb61f.jpg

ps3inbetweensetting.jpg.7ec1f935188b748e6d2d7d891cdf5441.jpg

When you remove the IR filter it changes the focus point. Here are three small pics from the CLeye driver screen, you can slowly rotate the lens and it will catch near the red side, but not quite. You can see the difference in the sharpness. From left to right: blue, red, in between.

Nice! I will try that this evening. :thumbup:

Currently, mine looks about like your center image.

--Arthur C Clark

Much better

tracker.JPG.f1040dd0ad3a9477d7463e13d8e60a9c.JPG

--Arthur C Clark

• 2 weeks later...

Now if I can just figure out the proper axis curves etc that would allow for me to lean forward (zoom in) to better view an MFD instead of the rising up and forward motion I have now.

The tendency is for my "head" to end up over the dash looking down.

--Arthur C Clark

Disable the Y axis and see if that fixes the upward movement. If it does, enable it again and you can then play with the dead space for the Y axis to find a setting that works for you. I keep the Y axis disabled as a personal choice.

Disable the Y axis and see if that fixes the upward movement. If it does, enable it again and you can then play with the dead space for the Y axis to find a setting that works for you. I keep the Y axis disabled as a personal choice.

Thanks

I'll give it a shot

--Arthur C Clark

Thanks

I'll give it a shot

If you want advice and do not have a headache adjusting the equipment, buy Trackir 5 and forget that invention. I tell you with my best intention and to save you trouble. This happened to me, I first became a headtracker and after much work of adjustment I ended up buying trackir 5 and all the problems are over. Trackir works perfectly and adjusts very easily. You choose.

bye

Totally disagree with mosqui! Something satisfying about saving money and crafting something yourself and getting it tuned sweetly. Just takes some tweaking. For me it was the pointtracker calibration and relative translation settings in opentrack that sorted everything. My 3 LEDs are on the left of my head, so when I turn head right, the LEDs effeectively move closer to the camera, and further when I turn head left. the relative translation compensates for this effect.

Totally disagree with mosqui! Something satisfying about saving money and crafting something yourself and getting it tuned sweetly. Just takes some tweaking. For me it was the pointtracker calibration and relative translation settings in opentrack that sorted everything. My 3 LEDs are on the left of my head, so when I turn head right, the LEDs effeectively move closer to the camera, and further when I turn head left. the relative translation compensates for this effect.

Agreed. My DIY track clip and Opentrack has been working for years. No problem at all. I would spend my money on DCS modules instead.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze