GBU laser codes (since update)

breakneckPace

Sorry if this has been covered already in another thread, I looked around but didn't see anything. (if it's out there, Mods feel free to delete or move this)

since the latest update with the new functionality of the targeting pod, has anyone had any issues changing the laser designation of their tpod and bombs? Default is 1688 for both I believe, and just for kicks I tried putting them both at 1686. All the data looked right on the DED, got my plane lined up for a CCRP drop on the target, released the bombs and moments fired the laser, but the bomb didn't seem to change course at all, and just flew over the target. After the first miss, I went back to the DED and switched everything back to 1688 and went in for a second run. I did everything else the same and this time the bomb guided correctly to the target.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I know there's a limited range to laser codes that can be used, but I could swear I've used 1686 in the past with no issues. Am I wrong? is that number too far outside the range for acceptable laser codes? Or is there possibly a bug that needs to be fixed with the updated TPOD?

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this, and if there's a fix for it? Thanks!

As the others already said:

In your menu on the DED you only change the code for the laser. You must seperatly change the code for your bombs. This is done with the kneeboard.

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

The two codes on the DED are for Laser firing (for guiding bombs) top one

and laser searching (searching for JTAC laser designated target) bottom one.

You can only change the bomb codes (as others have mentioned) via the kneeboard

on the ground before startup or via the mission editor. You cannot change it on the fly

once airborne.

You can only change the bomb codes (as others have mentioned) via the kneeboard

on the ground before startup or via the mission editor. You cannot change it on the fly

once airborne.

I had always thought it was weird that you could change your bomb's laser codes in the air in the A-10C using the DSMS. Aren't the laser codes set by the ground crews? Anyway, glad they went this route for the F-16.

Aren't the laser codes set by the ground crews? Anyway, glad they went this route for the F-16.

They are. Eventually this will get fixed for the other modules as well.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

They are. Eventually this will get fixed for the other modules as well.

So you cant change them mid flight in real life?

Now when I have my bomb code match some1 else laser code and we are painting different targets my bombs miss for quite a bit.

Since we are not operating in the army system and we aren't as organized this can create problems on MP servers. So the ability to change mid flight would be quite useful,

but on the other hand if we want a sim as accurate as it can be...

Since we are not operating in the army system and we aren't as organized this can create problems on MP servers.

This encourages people to indeed become organised, and to plan ahead: you can change your laser codes just fine on the ground prior to take-off. All you need then is a little communication ;-)

Being able to change the codes mid-air was meant as a short-term compromise, but is indeed not realistic.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Nope, laser codes are set physically on the bomb itself. For the Paveway II series (GBU-10, GBU-12, GBU-16) there's a set of dials behind a panel on the seeker head that looks like this.

Right now, every DCS module with LGBs handles this slightly differently. In the Viper there's a menu built into the Mission Editor that mimics the code selection on the bomb, plus the kneeboard page. I assume at some point this function will be built into a universal mission planned and data cartridge feature for every module.

Capture.JPG.10d4c0afbb11dc56d785e992d0439682.JPG

Now when I have my bomb code match some1 else laser code and we are painting different targets my bombs miss for quite a bit.

Since we are not operating in the army system and we aren't as organized this can create problems on MP servers. So the ability to change mid flight would be quite useful,

but on the other hand if we want a sim as accurate as it can be...

If you just want to avoid using the same code as someone else (which usually is the default code 1688), you can just simply change your code on the ground to a different random number. The chances that someone else will use the same random number are extremely slim.

It's already part of my startup routine to do that, when flying on public servers.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If you just want to avoid using the same code as someone else (which usually is the default code 1688), you can just simply change your code on the ground to a different random number. The chances that someone else will use the same random number are extremely slim.

It's already part of my startup routine to do that, when flying on public servers.

Yep i do that too, but it happened that I chose the same numbers as some1 else, slim chance but it happened. Then I was forced to get a new plane and get a different set of numbers, cause I cant change bomb code other then on the ground when the plane is shut down.