Honey, I developed FFB joystick (DIY)

1 hour ago, propeler said:

I was looking at those motors. Them are pretty expensive:)

Yeah they aren’t cheap, but neither is getting small batch SLS or MJF prints done for the gears, odrive 3.6, belts, and encoders. It still is more expensive but not nearly as much.

In the end I’m super excited to wire up your big hoverboard model and test it with the odrive this weekend. Can’t wait to see what this thing does! 

4 hours ago, propeler said:

Could you measure backlash on RMD X8 version? And is it normally backdrivable?

I only have the Pro, but I don’t feel any noticeable backlash. It is far less than the play in the linkage system on the big boy.  I do feel slight cogging unpowered, but when I load up the testing software and power them up they are butter. 

52 minutes ago, nukeproof said:

One question: Could this joystick be limited to just one axis and made to replicate a helicopter collective?

It is not a problem to make it one axis, I have FFB wheel project closeli conected https://github.com/o-devices/bldc-ffb-wheel on similar firmware. The only question is HOW it should behave (I'm not an expert in helis) and which telemetry we need to obtain from the game to calculate this behavior.

Wow, quite some activity since I last checked, nice to see! 

@propeler I wanted to check out your new firmware that works with odrive, but it seems your repository is gone again? What's the deal here? I still have my old assembly mechanically ready but I never go to finish the controller. I do have an odrive board I can just flash the firmware to, but it seems it's not available anymore?

• 1 month later...

Are the files for DiY still available somewhere?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Amazing work on this project. I assume that when you use a Virpil grip, you lose the ability to program anything in the Virpil VPC software? Also, for the Alpha grip, will functions like the thumb wheel, the brake lever axis and the thumb stick axes be recognized? Any other limitations on button recognition? Thanks.

On 11/11/2022 at 5:30 PM, X-31_VECTOR said:

Any other limitations on button recognition?

As for me the best solution for any kind of modern grips - to use "pass through" approach, when you just use longer cable to native controller. Either VKB, VPC or any other kind. It is the most bulletproof solution. Because modern grips commonly use proprietary not open protocol for comunication, trying to emulate their protocol usually not relayable enough and have different limitations.

Edited by propeler
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

She is done, and too strong, lol. Not a bad thing since that means longer flight times without degradation in performance. Right now I am flying with 3/100 centering force for my trimmer and 1/100 shake. I will be doing files or parts kits on laserwing.com and GitHub. Working on more motor options to keep cost down and variety for the range of strength. 

P1000005.jpeg

Edited by Tehknein
  • Like 7

Hello!  Just found this thread and I'm wondering how progress is going since the OP two years ago.  Looks very promising!

• Like 1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

On 12/2/2022 at 4:19 AM, Magic Zach said:

Hello!  Just found this thread and I'm wondering how progress is going since the OP two years ago.  Looks very promising!

It goes well. People building devices their own on firmware I develop. Some of them build from my CAD plans, some adapt it to their needs, some build totally differen mechanical scheme an use only electrical part from my original project. There is FFB pedals project as well based on my firmware. Here are some of them:

IMG_20210826_151711_2.jpg

ezgif.com-gif-maker.thumb.gif.989b1aa5a7ae372c0b8f6ed662ba3acb.gif

IMG_20211027_191651.jpg.509ae190009ae55a

J2.thumb.jpg.41dc273f5ec9e4899ad03ad1398178d2.jpg

1658496647646.thumb.jpg.42e625f4db185b057275d69ed0fe5350.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.8a4f1b61746a632734d287b2cb0dc3ed.jpg

SKM_2325_lr.jpg

A0BFC978-62CD-4DAC-8A0A-CB8DF0682383.jpeg

20221109_105548.thumb.jpg.5461cc9d631d9ca25a16fd0fc876dc36.jpg

imgpsh_fullsize_anim

All of them were built with only litle(or even without) informational support from my side.

Software part is evolving too. Because native FFB support is not perfect or is missing in different games I developed a solution for genereting rich FFB effects from game telemetry. Now it supports effect generation for MSFS, DCS and Warthunder. il-2 on the go.

Edited by propeler
  • Like 5

On 12/3/2022 at 8:11 AM, propeler said:

Software part is evolving too. Because native FFB support is not perfect or is missing in different games I developed a solution for genereting rich FFB effects from game telemetry. Now it supports effect generation for MSFS, DCS and Warthunder. il-2 on the go.

Hi, Thanks for your hard work. Where can I find this effect generation software? I would like to try it.

17 hours ago, propeler said:

How do you p;an to test it? Do you have joystick build on ODrive controller?

I have a few FFB joysticks in my possession. msffb2, msffb1, and Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3D.  I am planning to build my own in the future. All of them work in dcs, but not in war thunder or il2 even though they have "support" for ffb and options like spring force/shaking. I am curious about the telemetry from war thunder, I tried simshaker wings software which says its "compatible" with war thunder but actually isn't because none of the telemetry is exposed like AOA, guns firing, altitude, stall according to simshaker under known problems for war thunder and it creates effects based on button presses like trigger and axis deflection which is totally wrong.

Edited by Ernest
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, propeler said:

My device comunicates with DCS both direct input FFB and with additional telemetry for more precise airdynamic effects.

For general description better ask your questions it will be easier.

I see. Question 2: Who is Walmis 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...