Huey Autopilot - Best way to maintain heading?

Adam

17 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

While interesting - I doubt any of the above should be a factor as to why the UH-1 can't maintain heading with AP/Copilot.

If a copilot can't maintain a basic course heading, speed and altitude because of the attributes of a helicopter, he needs to be pushed out the door.

It seems as though the copilot "autopilot" is supposed to maintain what the pilot sets up (direction, speed and altitude). But it's faulty, and saying it's as designed and not a bug is just ignoring the problem. 

Would anyone IRL expect a copilot not to be able to hold course regardless of which seat they sit in, or which way the torque rotates? 

Ha, you nailed it. Any FO who can’t hold heading wouldn’t have made it through the first phase of flight training 😂

Edited by Sandman1330
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, slowmover said:

Why we do not have AI like George or Petrovich? That would be better. I do not know how difficult that is to be made.

That would be a fantastic upgrade to the UH-1! A crewmember to finally call out enemies spotted and take some basic flying tasks (that includes holding a set heading) is very much needed.

• Like 3