Hornet align

Vino

How is the new align system supposed to work? I wait 8,5 minutes, until system tells me everything is ok: 100 to 0,5. Then I turn the switch to NAV. FPM is fine, but now its impossible to drop bombs. Dropline is nowhere near where its supposed to be. Same thing with tacan: it´s hard to find carrier with no help. Before I was a good bomb dropper. What I am donig wrong? Please help...

After the alignment and you get a 0.5 Ok you need to switch to IFA and not NAV as previously.

Best regards,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Should be OSB 19 or 20 IIRC. Label on the correct button will be STD HDG. Need to select GND or CARRIER align before it shows up.

I'll add that it doesn't show up right away. Maybe a few seconds or so after selecting GND or CV on the alignment knob.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

After 90 seconds I was still on 75 not ok 0.5.

I don't see std hdg at osb 19

When you select either CV or GND on the alignment sector knob, you have to “quickly” select STD HDG on the HSI. Bottom row, second or third from the left if I recall correctly. Also, make sure your parking brake is on the entire time, that is required for alignment.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

When you select either CV or GND on the alignment sector knob, you have to “quickly” select STD HDG on the HSI. Bottom row, second or third from the left if I recall correctly. Also, make sure your parking brake is on the entire time, that is required for alignment.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Thanks for that...I'll try it again later.

Also can you please explain the difference in functionality between NAV and IFA.

NAV is INS-only, IFA is GPS-coupled INS. NAV will drift, IFA will not. If you have the switch in NAV, and a 'P/INS' advisory on the DDI, then GPS is available, and you should move the switch to IFA.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

NAV is INS-only, IFA is GPS-coupled INS. NAV will drift, IFA will not. If you have the switch in NAV, and a 'P/INS' advisory on the DDI, then GPS is available, and you should move the switch to IFA.

I see, so the system doesn't have to take time to re-align by switching from NAV to IFA?

By the way, what determines the availability of GPS, meaning, wouldn't you always switch to IFA since GPS is always available?

I see, so the system doesn't have to take time to re-align by switching from NAV to IFA?

Correct, after INS has aligned in either CV or GND modes - switching to NAV, and then IFA even minutes later does not require a realignment. I do however, try to move the rotary knob quickly from CV if I've aligned on the carrier, thru to IFA as I don't want to cycle a GND alignment.

Not even sure if the system would initiate a GND alignment after a CV alignment has been completed - but not interested in finding out the "hard way."

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Correct, after INS has aligned in either CV or GND modes - switching to NAV, and then IFA even minutes later does not require a realignment. I do however, try to move the rotary knob quickly from CV if I've aligned on the carrier, thru to IFA as I don't want to cycle a GND alignment.

Not even sure if the system would initiate a GND alignment after a CV alignment has been completed - but not interested in finding out the "hard way."

Cheers,

Ziptie

Thanks good tip:thumbup:

Not if the year is 1986, that's the year that GPS became available. Seriously though, the year of the mission dictates the availability of GPS

I will use IFA starting from 1986 and going forward to 2020...the level of detail in the sim continually amazes me, thanks for that info!

I read below that if you're in NAV and you have GPS there is an advisory on the DDI.

Is there an advisory if you're in IFA and you don't have GPS?

Edited by fitness88

Selecting IFA without GPS available will command INS IFA mode. At this point the aircraft will initiate IFA RDR, where the jet must be flown as straight and level as possible to align the INS. Once the quality number reads OK, place the switch back to NAV. AFAIK there is no advisory aside from the INS ATT advisory that appears before alignment starts.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Selecting IFA without GPS available will command INS IFA mode. At this point the aircraft will initiate IFA RDR, where the jet must be flown as straight and level as possible to align the INS. Once the quality number reads OK, place the switch back to NAV. AFAIK there is no advisory aside from the INS ATT advisory that appears before alignment starts.

Thanks again:thumbup:

I've been reading this thread about what we've been talking about " INS improvements in the 19 Aug 2020 Open Beta"

It leaves me thinking, why is INS [iNS alignment] needed at all if GPS is available?

Can't navigation/weapon delivery/FLIR be done solely on the basis of what GPS provides?

Going from point 'A' to point 'B'...can't help but think of my auto's GPS/NAV system starts instantaneously and can drive me to whatever GPS co-ords that I input anywhere on the planet...if there was a bridge over the ocean.

Edited by fitness88

I've been reading this thread about what we've been talking about " INS improvements in the 19 Aug 2020 Open Beta"

It leaves me thinking, why is INS [iNS alignment] needed at all if GPS is available?

Can't navigation/weapon delivery/FLIR be done solely on the basis of what GPS provides?

Going from point 'A' to point 'B'...can't help but think of my auto's GPS/NAV system starts instantaneously and can drive me to whatever GPS co-ords that I input anywhere on the planet...if there was a bridge over the ocean.

I always start with motors and systems running and I haven't read the thread but I'll shoot off my mouth anyway:D

You always need a self contained nav system in combat a/c. The sats 'might' get jammed or destroyed. INS will work. It can be updated from landmarks... whatever.

There are a number of real-world problems that GPS faces that aren't simulated in DCS. Satellites may not be in optimal geometric positions, dilution of precision, range/timing inaccuracies in the GPS receiver (User Equivalent Range Error); to name a few.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor

It's not necessarily about one being better than the other, and they're not really separate systems (you can't have GPS-only, it doesn't work that way). The internal INS is the primary method by which the aircraft operates. GPS simply corrects the accumulated errors that INS suffers from (the Tomcat is a prime example INS drift over time). Think of it as someone writing a book; the writer is the INS, the proof-reader is the GPS (but in real-time).

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor

It's not necessarily about one being better than the other, and they're not really separate systems (you can't have GPS-only, it doesn't work that way). The internal INS is the primary method by which the aircraft operates. GPS simply corrects the accumulated errors that INS suffers from (the Tomcat is a prime example INS drift over time). Think of it as someone writing a book; the writer is the INS, the proof-reader is the GPS (but in real-time).

Good clear analogy:thumbup:thanks.