Quest 2 DCS VR

Viciam1

26 minutes ago, RoboHackfeld said:

Thanks alot for this ideas.

I will give it a try to run DCS only via the Oculus Link App. Before I got the AMD GPU I tried it alot but the look without the Steam SS was all the way not good. I will try this with raising the SS via the OCulus Link App. Distortion and Bit Rate I will also try to adjust like you've said.

Thanks alot I will let ypou know if this works out.

The oculus graphics slider should be the first one you use and probably the only one. Its not a super sampling slider but having this on max is what it needs for its full resolution. Oculus only have this so you can adjust it down for lower end systems. of course they actually want to control this automatically via the "recommended" switch - however it always knocks it down lower than I can run it so I max it. Worth noting that with this at full any other SS setting will be a larger step, i.e 10% is now bigger. Therefore you are unlikely to use it especially with MSAA. My 3090 runs it a max in oculus and 2x MSAA really well. Any SS/PD will start to cripple it. If you set the oculus slider lower and raise it in SS/PD this is pointless. If you really want SS, then use it in the debug tool. Steam is the same but no point leaving it to a separate program - just let oculus do it. Don't use in game PD. Not required. 

Okay I tried to run DCS directly from Oculus Link with 80hz mode and slider all the way to the right side but this looked so blurry. 

U have to know I have this reshade mode, only works with DCS via Steam VR and without it it alle looks like there is a big filter over it. 

What do you guys, not using Steam VR, use to get this picture more sharp? 

The "double effect" did also appear and FPS where around 60.

5 hours ago, RoboHackfeld said:

Anyone here running DCS with Quest 2 and an AMD GPU expecially 6900xt?

Got my 6900xt a couple of weeks ago and yes it increased the quality alot but this should be easy against my old 1070 (nonti).

But I really thought about a more better result than I get now.

My specs:

MSI X470 Gaming Plus

Ryzen 5 3600

32 GB 3200MHz RAM

Samsung M2 evo 970

AMD Rx6900xt

Using my Oculus via Link Cable and DCS via Oculus Link -> Steam VR

OTT-Settings:

Resolution: 3696 (dont know right now but the highest available)

Bitrate: 500

Distortion Curve: High

PD: 1.0

ASW: Still playing with it if I like it to 45 or off

Oculus Link Settings:

90Hz

SS: 1.0

Steam VR Settings:

Supersampling per eye: something arround 2800*2800

rest: untouched

DCS Settings:

Details: High

Shadows: std

Water: medium

MSAA x4 (I hate thos stairs effect)

Visibly Range: High

Trees: Max

Trees Details: lowest

Heat Blur and Lense Stuff Off

Screens to 512

PD: 1.0

I have a nice optic I guess but I get only arround 36-40 FPS (F18) at Carrier and 45-55 in the air (F14 a litte less). Lowprofile Flight ist like 45 but looking to the sides I can not really spot any ground vehicle because its everything like "doubled" .

Any ideas? I think my CPU is not the best for this unoptimized Simulation but befor I replace this,I want to get the most out of what I got so far.

Are there any people can share some nice AMD Driver settings? All I got so far from this thread are ppl using Nvidia Cards.

What I managed to figure out so far regarding AMD Drivers was the minimum frequenzy.

Min: 2000 (stock 500)

Max 2500 (stock 2500)

This was a first eye opener But thats my current status.

Would really like to exchange some ideas with other people running same or similar system.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Robin

I think you will see a noticeable improvement in FPS if you have terrain textures set to low (you really don't see much difference visually), shadows to flat and MSAA x2. I know you say you don't like jaggies but switching to MSAA x2 should make a big difference to performance and it still looks smooth enough to me. I suggest at least trying it.

I find best FPS performance if I have ASW disabled (ctrl-keypad1), but if you want to get rid of the ghosting of ground units that you see when looking out of the cockpit, then Force 45fps with ASW (ctrl-keypad3) should fix it, as long as you can maintain 45fps.

I don't bother with OTT either, I just found it was just running another background process and prefer just to tweak my settings in the Oculus software and DCS.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

11 minutes ago, RoboHackfeld said:

Well I am able to maintain stable 45fps and with ASW forced to 45 I still have those ghosting effects. Is it a difference if I enable it through OTT or with ctrl+kp?

OTT to me sounds like oculus tray tool. A third party app for controlling the debug tool. I don't use OTT either, I just use the debug tool. Don't try and use both if that what you are doing. I don't think you mentioned OTT previously

I really wouldn't bother with a reshade mod, up to you but I have no experience with this on Q2. I did once try one when I had a G2 and wasn't impressed, looked rubbish to me, but each to their own.

I have things very sharp with oculus at full res. Its difficult to know what's going wrong for you but the ghosting/double effect is caused by poor frametime/high latency. If you are over reprojection rate then maybe one specific thing is holding you back? I guess if you are using steam vr, get fpsvr and measure performance. 

I would ditch steamvr and the shade. Use HWINFO to measure what your hardware is doing. Run a track with the headset sensor covered that ay you can read the diagnostics on the screen while its in full VR. Not the best way of testing but should help with those big problems. Fine tune to experience later.

35 minutes ago, AlpineGTA said:

I think you will see a noticeable improvement in FPS if you have terrain textures set to low (you really don't see much difference visually), shadows to flat and MSAA x2. I know you say you don't like jaggies but switching to MSAA x2 should make a big difference to performance and it still looks smooth enough to me. I suggest at least trying it.

I find best FPS performance if I have ASW disabled (ctrl-keypad1), but if you want to get rid of the ghosting of ground units that you see when looking out of the cockpit, then Force 45fps with ASW (ctrl-keypad3) should fix it, as long as you can maintain 45fps.

I don't bother with OTT either, I just found it was just running another background process and prefer just to tweak my settings in the Oculus software and DCS.

Agree with all this. Shadows to flat helps, I run cockpit shadows on low.

My experience with ASW is that unless you can reach full fps most of the time then auto isn't great. I get a smoother performance locking to half (40 in my case) with ASW enabled. I occasionally can peak to over 80 and the switching on auto makes for stutters. 

I also find that for me as a Nvidia user having vsync set to fast is essential. This really helps cleanly lock down to the reprojection rate. If you have a similar AMD mode then try that too.

Edited by Hoirtel
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, RoboHackfeld said:

Well I am able to maintain stable 45fps and with ASW forced to 45 I still have those ghosting effects. Is it a difference if I enable it through OTT or with ctrl+kp?

Yes, as Hoirtel says, maybe using OTT is interfering. I don't use any debug tools at all, I just rely on the standard Oculus software running in the background and use the keyboard shortcut (ctrl-keypad3) if I want to see ground units clearly. That works for me. I can't suggest anything else beyond that, sorry.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

Okay at first thanks for the tipps. I will check everything tomorrow when I have a little more time than today. I think there was a VSync mode in the driver that can help. Will try that first. 

If I understand ASW correct isnt it that it doesnt matter if you get stable 50 or stable 90 as long as you get whats set in ASW? 

I mean if ASW is set to 45 and I get stable 52 it should work right? 

I think its a driver thing and I will try everything youve said. If nothing works I will try a clean installation of the system. Had an Nvidia Card before so maybe there is still something with old driver stuff. 

Thanks so far. 

Edit: Ah I can lock the FPS for a special game with the driver could this also help?. Will try that as well. 

Edited by RoboHackfeld

3 minutes ago, RoboHackfeld said:

Okay at first thanks for the tipps. I will check everything tomorrow when I have a little more time than today. I think there was a VSync mode in the driver that can help. Will try that first. 

If I understand ASW correct isnt it that it doesnt matter if you get stable 50 or stable 90 as long as you get whats set in ASW? 

I mean if ASW is set to 45 and I get stable 52 it should work right? 

I think its a driver thing and I will try everything youve said. If nothing works I will try a clean installation of the system. Had an Nvidia Card before so maybe there is still something with old driver stuff. 

Thanks so far. 

Edit: Ah I can lock the FPS for a special game with the driver could this also help?. Will try that as well. 

For me the fps usually gets locked at the reprojection ratio. So when it's on I have no idea what the actual framerate is above 40 (45 for 90hz). 

I think it locks it at half of whatever you have your Hz set to. So for example, if you have your headset set to 90Hz in the Oculus settings it will lock it to 45fps. I have mine set to 72Hz so it locks to 36fps. If you can achieve a stable 52 fps with ASW off you should be able to force ASW on and achieve a steady 45fps.

So basically, it's not half of whatever fps you get with ASW off, it's half of whatever you set your Hz to. - 72Hz - 36fps / 80HZ - 40fps / 90Hz - 45fps

2 hours ago, RoboHackfeld said:

Okay its just because someone told me if you want ASW at 45 you need to get 90fps without it to get the best result. But that doesnt make any sense to me.

The whole point of asw is to give you full fps when all you can render is half. So 45/90, 40/80, 36/72.

9 hours ago, RoboHackfeld said:

Okay I tried to run DCS directly from Oculus Link with 80hz mode and slider all the way to the right side but this looked so blurry.

Weird. I'm currently experiencing the same with my Quest 1. Even at the highest res setting (1.1 in Rift - 4128x2272 or High in VD - 4416x2400), it's utterly blurry and looks worse than my CV1 at PD 1.0. Can't even get Cable Link to connect, but I had that experience with both AirLink and VirtualDesktop. There sure is something not right at the moment. Not having such issues in other games though.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Eldur:

Weird. I'm currently experiencing the same with my Quest 1. Even at the highest res setting (1.1 in Rift - 4128x2272 or High in VD - 4416x2400), it's utterly blurry and looks worse than my CV1 at PD 1.0. Can't even get Cable Link to connect, but I had that experience with both AirLink and VirtualDesktop. There sure is something not right at the moment. Not having such issues in other games though.

Thats what I experience since I got the Quest. I mean at first I got the 1070 and tried DCS via VD. 

Didnt look really good but I had only a 1070 and no 5ghz Router so I thought, okay that fits, it scales down due to my router and my GPU is too bad. 

With Link and direct DCS it was quite the same and I thought okay I just have bad gpu. 

With Steam and the reshade Mod it looked okay to me. 

Maybe what I thought about while in bed for sleeping last night, everything could also be related to my 3rd Party 3m Cable which gets me something around 2gb/sec. 

Another point I can try, at least I can try different cables (Mac Book and the small that came with the Oculus) unless I dont have an original one. 😁

And I have to compare Steam VR Version without Reshade with the Oculus. A lot of work to do after work today. 

Edited by RoboHackfeld

VR can be difficult to tune correctly and learning all the tools is what takes the time. The main problem however is that it is very subjective. When you say blurry, what do you mean? What airframe are you using and what is the smallest thing you can read without moving your head too much from a conventional flying position? For example my limit is in the F18, from a normal flying position, the pressure setting numbers on the back up altitude indicator are just readable. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb Hoirtel:

VR can be difficult to tune correctly and learning all the tools is what takes the time. The main problem however is that it is very subjective. When you say blurry, what do you mean? What airframe are you using and what is the smallest thing you can read without moving your head too much from a conventional flying position? For example my limit is in the F18, from a normal flying position, the pressure setting numbers on the back up altitude indicator are just readable. 

Thanks again for your help. I will check all of that later and let you guys know. What I can tell so far is like everything was quite blurry in comparison to what I got via Steam VR. I could read some instruments but I dont think I can spot enemys like that. If I could read the Altimeter I have to check later today.

But the ghosting effect was also noticable the same in DCS via Link like Steam VR.

I got a lot of points I can try out, aswell the HW Info thingy and I hope this will all lead to a solution. 

I think it could really be a cable thing like 5gb/sec are recommended and I get something around 2gb/sec.

Thanks again and in advance and I keep u updated. 

Edited by RoboHackfeld

51 minutes ago, RoboHackfeld said:

Thanks again for your help. I will check all of that later and let you guys know. What I can tell so far is like everything was quite blurry in comparison to what I got via Steam VR. I could read some instruments but I dont think I can spot enemys like that. If I could read the Altimeter I have to check later today.

But the ghosting effect was also noticable the same in DCS via Link like Steam VR.

I got a lot of points I can try out, aswell the HW Info thingy and I hope this will all lead to a solution. 

I think it could really be a cable thing like 5gb/sec are recommended and I get something around 2gb/sec.

Thanks again and in advance and I keep u updated. 

Btw - I have the official cable and never reads anything close to 5gb. 1.8 - 2.something i think. 

Okay after I tried everything that came to my head today and really nothing helped until I gave it a last try. 😁

I have a really smooth experience right now and all those double effect/ghosting/stuttering is gone as long as I get 45 FPS. 

The solution:

ASW in OTT: 45hz (not forced<-important) 

VSync in DCS: On 

But with this I get a little bit of artifacts at the nose area of the right eye. Its like a little wiggly but only at the far left edge of the right eye. 

Now my question is, what is the difference between 45hz forced and 45hz. Why I dont get those artifacts at 45hz forced but a little of stuttering and with the other mode 18hz/30hz/45hz (not forced) I get a smoothe result but little of artifacts. 

Is there any setting to reduce this? 

Otherwise I think I can really live with that.

Is there a setting to reduce the fov for one eye or meybe each? Not only the outer areas. I hope you know what I mean. 😁

Thank you all so far. 

Edited by RoboHackfeld

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

Is it recommended to put V-sync on in-game with a VR headset? Does it end up affecting anything?

Historically no having vsync off was the way to go for VR.

No idea if something has changed there.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Could also be possible that I always used the wrong ASW mode.

Because of those artifacts I always used 45hz forced. Maybe that was the gamechanger yesterday because after I turned Vsync ingame on I think I accidently used 45hz instead of forced. So I changed both settings and maybe just the other ASW mode would be enough. 

Will test it today.

48 minutes ago, RoboHackfeld said:

Could also be possible that I always used the wrong ASW mode.

Because of those artifacts I always used 45hz forced. Maybe that was the gamechanger yesterday because after I turned Vsync ingame on I think I accidently used 45hz instead of forced. So I changed both settings and maybe just the other ASW mode would be enough. 

Will test it today.

Those terms sound like you are using OTT and I can't remember exactly what those are doing relative to the debug tool which is what I use. It's very possible the ghosting you were seeing was because you were using a mode where asw wasn't active. Vsync on in game isn't something I have done but as I said I swear by vsync fast for Nvidia. Could be something that is helping you on AMD. If it works, just enjoy it! You will always be tweaking settings and you will learn more about it as you go. The odd "wiggly" bits you describe is probably the artifact s from asw. It's very good, but the is some penalty for using it. It's fine once you stop looking for it. Main thing to do now is enjoy the sim!

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Hoirtel:

Those terms sound like you are using OTT and I can't remember exactly what those are doing relative to the debug tool which is what I use. It's very possible the ghosting you were seeing was because you were using a mode where asw wasn't active. Vsync on in game isn't something I have done but as I said I swear by vsync fast for Nvidia. Could be something that is helping you on AMD. If it works, just enjoy it! You will always be tweaking settings and you will learn more about it as you go. The odd "wiggly" bits you describe is probably the artifact s from asw. It's very good, but the is some penalty for using it. It's fine once you stop looking for it. Main thing to do now is enjoy the sim!

Thanks for those words. Yeah its a mess with all those adjusting thing. Since I started with DCS in VR its always like... "I can get a better result, lets try this"..."and this"..."and this".... 

Hours later I havent played any mission, just wasted time with "optimizing"... 

The thing with the "once younstop looking for it" I think will be what I hope for. I am very sensible in cases like visual stuff but I think I will get used to it.

I really hope Vulcan will get us a lot.of more Performance and stability with VR. 

1 hour ago, RoboHackfeld said:

Thanks for those words. Yeah its a mess with all those adjusting thing. Since I started with DCS in VR its always like... "I can get a better result, lets try this"..."and this"..."and this".... 

Hours later I havent played any mission, just wasted time with "optimizing"... 

The thing with the "once younstop looking for it" I think will be what I hope for. I am very sensible in cases like visual stuff but I think I will get used to it.

I really hope Vulcan will get us a lot.of more Performance and stability with VR. 

Welcome to the VR club. We always want more - but can't ever go back!

After well over a year of only flying in VR its the only thing for me. If I ever do any quick mission testing in 2D, I feel like I am interacting with someone's youtube video....