Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII

tapi

Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII  

324 members have voted

1. 1. Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII

• Bf 109 G-6 Late
    • Tempest Mk. V
    • Spitfire Mk XIV (Griffon, bubble canopy)
    • Fw 190 F/G-8
    • A6M5 Zero
    • P-38 J/L Lightning
    • F6F Hellcat
    • Bf 109 E
    • Spitfire Mk. I/II
    • Other (not mentioned) aircraft

TBH from that list all of them should come to DCS sooner or later, and some of them we even know will come sooner than later to DCS WWII. All of them should be in the planeset, flyable if possible, but even IA if something as a beginning. Hard to pick a single one.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

They have made it all wrong... Because of that kickstarter years ago i know... They should start with oldest planes like with Emil Bf-109 and then slowly progress towards new ones. Then you would feel kind of progress. Bringing older planes like G6 would make sense if they would deploy whole set of planes and a map for a certain time of war like in that other sim.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 2:52 AM, hannibal said:

B25 mitchell.. Ju87 stuka..

anything with turret guns!!

What is most disappointing for me is that the Stuka was already a proposed project with what appears to be a fair amount of the artwork done,... and then nothing. And before someone points to a missing map as the issue, how many I-16's flew over Normandy?

As it is now, the Normandy/Channel maps have to fill in for the entire WWII scenario which is at least doable until more maps get added. But what is not doable is pretending an A8 looks like a Stuka dive-bomber.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

What is most disappointing for me is that the Stuka was already a proposed project with what appears to be a fair amount of the artwork done,... and then nothing. And before someone points to a missing map as the issue, how many I-16's flew over Normandy?

As it is now, the Normandy/Channel maps have to fill in for the entire WWII scenario which is at least doable until more maps get added. But what is not doable is pretending an A8 looks like a Stuka dive-bomber.

Unofficial mods come and go, most never getting past the initial model stage. It requires thousands of hours of dedicated work that an unpaid mod team just doesn't have usually.

As for the I-16 a professional 3rd party is free to make any project that ED approves, but they must have sufficient information and an interest, presumably an anticipated market to make it at least break even. Who knows what their next aircraft will be?

• Like 1

I am quite happy with my I-16. I am not one of those that advocates for linking maps/time periods to modules. It is nice to see when we get modules that fit a map/time period, but it is not a requirement for me because it puts too much restriction on mission building.

That being said, it would be nice if another 3rd party would run with the Stuka IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Live Thread, Livveee!!!

Now you'll notice my list has tiers, This is deliberate because I want to see DCS actually have competitive blocks that broadly match each other so no one country dominates. I really don't want to see a repeat of 2 Redfor Attack Helicopters and very little to counter them on the NATO side. Unfortunately ED doesn't seem to have learnt with nothing to counter the Chinook. I'm sure you guys understand and could present examples in the WW 2 side of DCS. You'll also notice a few Biplanes are on the the list. Apart from being frikken cool, I think they will be great in Alternative Universe multiplayer roleplay👍

1: Ju88 (early war), A6 Zero (again EW), Tupolev TB-3 or Illyushin DB-3, (I really would like some aircraft that represent that transition from peace to war like the I-16 does),  the Macchi C.205 Veltro

2. C-47 Skytrain, Fokker Trimotor, Obviously not going please the DCS Fighter Mafia but with the C-130 inbound no reason to not to have them. Besides "Build them and they will come" Any USN Dive/ Torpedo bomber, Now my next selection are hard because I would want the some/all for the Pacific theater scenarios. Aichi Kokuri AB,AM,B,D series Carrier attack aircraft.  And G3/4m, probably the 'Betty' in the near term.

3:Gloster Gladiator, Hurricane, IL-2, Beaufighter, P40 Warhawk and any (1)  USAAF B type twin.

4: SM.79 Sparrowhawk, Fairey Swordfish, PE-2, Wellington and the Dornier Do 17.

5: Jets and heavy bombers.

I would say we have a tremendous opportunity with the Normandy 2.0 map in that we have what was essentially a static front line map for over 4 years. With the right aircraft you can run Battle of France, Battle of Britain, Circus and Rodeo missions, early Allied bombing raids, pre-invasion bombardment and Allied advance from June-August 1944. To that end I think there are so many aircraft that would fit that bill.

Spitfire Mk1, Spitfire Mk V, Hurricane, He-111, Ju-87, Bf-109E/F/G,P-47 Razorback, P-38 F/L, P-51B, B-25, B-26.Beaufigther, Do-17,Defiant. 

To pick from this list and several others I have forgotten about. I would probably choose the BF-109G first simply because it fits with the aircraft we have available for the mid-1944 missions, but truthfully we could use all of the aircraft above.

Sadly producing the aircraft with the level of fidelity required for DCS tends to have a much more disjointed approach.

• Like 1