VSN Northrop Grumman EA-6B Prowler

Hawkeye60

9 minutes ago, Joe1978 said:

After a while without using it, yesterday I came across the A6 black. I have tried several skins but they don't show up

Please, Could you help me with this?

Screen_231225_013650.jpg

Did you update to 2.9 recently?  If so, you'll need to redownload the updated skins and textures as described above.  You'll see I had a similar problem.

• Like 1

F-18C/F-14/P-51/F-86 Pico4/Quest2 VR with Intel Core i9 3.0GHZ 24 -Core, 16GB, GeForce RTX 4070 ti

hace 27 minutos, 2circle dijo:

Did you update to 2.9 recently?  If so, you'll need to redownload the updated skins and textures as described above.  You'll see I had a similar problem.

It's been a while since I upgraded to 2.9 but until now I hadn't used the Prowler. I installed a copy that I had saved previously but it didn't work. Luckily Urbi has shared the file and with the latter everything has now worked correctly again.

Thank you guys!!!

Asus Rog Strix Z390F, i9-9900K, 64GB Crucial DDR4/3300, RTX3080, NVMe M.2 980 Pro 1T x2, SSD Evo 860 1T x2, Seagate Barracuda 1T, Seagate Barracuda 6T, HP X32C, HP Reverb G1

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2023 at 1:36 AM, Joe1978 said:

It's been a while since I upgraded to 2.9 but until now I hadn't used the Prowler. I installed a copy that I had saved previously but it didn't work. Luckily Urbi has shared the file and with the latter everything has now worked correctly again.

Thank you guys!!!

@Joe1978 is your EA-6B still works? i mean the texture, mine got black skin problem so dont know if you can share your EA-6B mod folder? or at least Urbi's files to fix it

image_2024-02-17_133614095.png

hace 3 horas, EA-18G_BlockII dijo:

@Joe1978 is your EA-6B still works? i mean the texture, mine got black skin problem so dont know if you can share your EA-6B mod folder? or at least Urbi's files to fix it

Yes in my DCS it works perfect.  

Edit. redownload the updated skins and textures and try again

Screen_240217_181224.jpg

Screen_240217_181306.jpg

Edited by Joe1978
  • Like 1

Asus Rog Strix Z390F, i9-9900K, 64GB Crucial DDR4/3300, RTX3080, NVMe M.2 980 Pro 1T x2, SSD Evo 860 1T x2, Seagate Barracuda 1T, Seagate Barracuda 6T, HP X32C, HP Reverb G1

7 hours ago, Joe1978 said:

Yes in my DCS it works perfect.  

Edit. redownload the updated skins and textures and try again

Screen_240217_181224.jpg

Screen_240217_181306.jpg

where to download it @Joe1978 ? i though Urbi took it down? the one @PeeJott17 gave me are just psd template files. Can you upload your ea-6b folder and share with me? 😞

Edited by EA-18G_BlockII
  • Like 1

If I remember correctly, I used the link in the first post.

• 2 weeks later...

Same situation here in my DCS setup. Most skins do not show up (black plane without textures). The links on first page of this post do not work anymore. Please set up new link for download of updated files that work with latest DCS version. Many thanks in advance. 
Rango

Kobra posted new links for all the VSN mods

cdpkobra

Since the upload function of Filehorst has been deactivated, we have new download links.

Download link at pCloud.com

Download Link 1: VSN_Mods - DCS World
or
Download link 2: VSN_Mods - DCS World

Here, last post,

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Many thanks for the link to the new download servers, Hawkeye.
As far as I can see it is still the old version of the Prowler I have already installed.
Where to get the new textures (from Urbi?) to fix the problem that DCS 2.9 broke most of the liveries?
Please help!
Rango

• Like 1

Hi all,
I figured out what is the problem concerning the 'black' Prowlers (missing skins) and how to fix it. The problem is caused by the fact that most of the mods textures (mostly DDS-format) are not accepted by the DCS system anymore (labeled 'unknown format' in DCS log file). So you have to open the unaccepted files and save them again in DDS-Format. Do not change settings in saving/rewriting process. Just open and save again at the same place (folder). You have to do that with the files in the Liveries folder of your Prowler as well as in the Textures folder (both in 'saved games' area). Concerning the Textures folder you have to unzip the EA_6B.zip file, then do the load and save procedure and then pack all files again in new zip-file named EA_6B.zip. To load and save the files I recommend the tool Paint.net (https://www.getpaint.net/) Again: Do not change settings in saving process (should read as displayed by file attached). Okay, it is a little bit 'monkey work' to rewrite all the DDS-Files this way but in the end it does the trick. All skins show up again! 

Rango

DCS_DDS_SETTINGS_PAINT_NET.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Rango's findings. This issue isnt just confined to Aircraft, its affecting vehicles, buildings and any other mod you have in your Saved Games folder.   

I have been getting really annoying game crashes and freezes ever since 2.7 and each time I trace it to a mod where I have yet to redo the dds textures.  I have a big Saved Games Folder so Its a never ending issue for me.  

On some maps it appears to be more common than others - Caucasus seems to be the least affected. 

I dont know why its happening but I wish ED would sort it out.

• Like 1

Thanks for your contribution, crazyeddie. I did not know yet that this DDS-thing is such a wide area of trouble. Hm, what is the basic problem behind it? Is it because all the Mods providers use different settings (compression level, bit depth, mipmap settings, dithering, etc.) when saving the texture and livery files? I wonder why ED did not clarify that thing by a guidline for mods developers. And additionally they should provide a tool that runs automatically through the saved games directory of DCS to check and rewrite all 'corrupted' DDS-Files. Did you report the problem in 'DCS 2.9 bugs' area already?

I have never reported this as an issue simply because at first I thought it was something that was only affecting me and I assumed it might an issue with my PC and Nvidia Grphics Card.  The first time it appeared as an issue for me was with the MAM A400 mod that suddenly went textures weird,  I spoke to a few other guys and between us we came up with a solution - pretty much what you are finding now - redo the dds  texture files.   Since then I have seen several posts that appear to address similar issues, with different mods.  I have never noted or seen an ED response to any of the issues mentioned. 

It does not make any sense to me - it wasnt an issue before 2.8 so why now, what has changed in the core game. - I dont know.  

As I said, I cant think of any reason why this should be happening, and I long gave up reporting issues involving non ED Mods to ED - thier solutuion is always the same - remove the Mod. I get on and try to fix it myself. 

Edited by crazyeddie
  • Like 3

Something else I should have added to the post above.

I have found that if I use any Mod that is made up with mostly jpg or png format textures I have problems with stuttering, crashes and freezes.  I dont know if those issues arise because of the file format or because my graphics card has an issue with it, it could be either and I honestly have no idea which.

SO - I change all of the textures in a mod to dds format, which is VERY time consuming when you look at the size of some Mods, but that appears to help with that issue. Most of the in game ED tetxures are dds format, so the game is clearly designed to work best with that format.

Others may not agree of course - its very much horses for courses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crazyeddie said:

Something else I should have added to the post above.

I have found that if I use any Mod that is made up with mostly jpg or png format textures I have problems with stuttering, crashes and freezes.  I dont know if those issues arise because of the file format or because my graphics card has an issue with it, it could be either and I honestly have no idea which.

SO - I change all of the textures in a mod to dds format, which is VERY time consuming when you look at the size of some Mods, but that appears to help with that issue. Most of the in game ED tetxures are dds format, so the game is clearly designed to work best with that format.

Others may not agree of course - its very much horses for courses. 

I have to agree with you. You should always use dds. save these in BC7 and with MipMaps. Furthermore, you should make sure that the use of terms (.dds; .png, etc.) is no longer allowed in the description.lua. A key reason is also when using textures that have a different aspect ratio, as they often have a rectangular shape. It should be the width that corresponds to the standard in pixel size (512-1024-2048-4096 and also 8192), so that no black textures emerge. you simply change the width when the height is automatically changed. The errors in my textures were caused by incorrect compression, which I believe had to do with the release of the F-14, as their textures were saved with the Intel tool, which could not be opened with PS. You can easily fix this error by opening these textures with an image editing program and then simply saving them again. NetPaint also supports pixel sizes of 8192x8192. When saving vo bmp; jpg and png no MipMaps are created. This should also be taken into account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Windows 11 Enterprise 64-bit processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-core processor 3.90 GHz, installed memory 256 GB (256 GB usable), system type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
2 x NVIDIA RTX TITAN SLI 48 GB vRAM, 3x 2 TB M2 NVMe WDS200T3XHC Raid, 2x 4 TB M2 NVMe Force MP510 Raid, ERM - 3K3U water cooling, gaming motherboard ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA
Monitor 108 cm ACER PREDATOR CG437K 7680x4320-120Hz, power supply 2000 watts

On 3/2/2024 at 8:24 AM, Hawkeye60 said:

Kobra posted new links for all the VSN mods

Here, last post,

Can confirm "black mold" texture fix as mentioned by several above works as stated. Glad to see you and Eddie still kicking old timer.  😁  

Edited by Backy 51

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Correction texture

Fixed the textures of the liveries and the textures in the texture folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/z9m6i1htqb3oattv6vijk/Northrop-Grumman-EA-6B-Prowler.rar?rlkey=br2c4kxb21md2f53h53vtfz14&dl=0

The two folders from the zip are in
Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods\Aircraft\Northrop Grumman EA-6B Prowler
copy and overwrite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Windows 11 Enterprise 64-bit processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-core processor 3.90 GHz, installed memory 256 GB (256 GB usable), system type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
2 x NVIDIA RTX TITAN SLI 48 GB vRAM, 3x 2 TB M2 NVMe WDS200T3XHC Raid, 2x 4 TB M2 NVMe Force MP510 Raid, ERM - 3K3U water cooling, gaming motherboard ROG ZENITH II EXTREME ALPHA
Monitor 108 cm ACER PREDATOR CG437K 7680x4320-120Hz, power supply 2000 watts