[How to] Multi monitor MFCD display export set-up guide - July 2023 (updated)

jonsky7

@AngryEchoSix There doesn't seem to be much wrong there.

I have added the GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT, I added that to mine to centre the sights on combined arms, shouldn't hurt but not sure if it will fix your issue. I did test mine and don't seem to have that problem.

I'll be honest and say I haven't done much testing with a monitor that is left of the main, you couldn't have it on the left when I did my setup so my second monitor is on the right. 

Camera + CubeSim_v2.1.lua

3 hours ago, jonsky7 said:

@AngryEchoSix There doesn't seem to be much wrong there.

I have added the GU_MAIN_VIEWPORT, I added that to mine to centre the sights on combined arms, shouldn't hurt but not sure if it will fix your issue. I did test mine and don't seem to have that problem.

I'll be honest and say I haven't done much testing with a monitor that is left of the main, you couldn't have it on the left when I did my setup so my second monitor is on the right. 

Camera + CubeSim_v2.1.lua 620 B · 1 download

Tried the LUA that you modified, and it's still the same inside the Mission Editor. I even tried unplugging my CubeSim, and that had no change, as I thought that it might be causing the weird box to appear and make my life complicated, but that's not the case sadly. I'm at a loss here, but I do greatly appreciate the time you've taken to try and help me sort this out.

2 hours ago, AngryEchoSix said:

Tried the LUA that you modified, and it's still the same inside the Mission Editor. I even tried unplugging my CubeSim, and that had no change, as I thought that it might be causing the weird box to appear and make my life complicated, but that's not the case sadly. I'm at a loss here, but I do greatly appreciate the time you've taken to try and help me sort this out.

I would at least try going back to single monitor configuration and seeing if the problem still exists, if you haven't done so already.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Im having some issues getting my screens all working.

My Two Displays that i use for my MFD work fine with just a single Main monitor (Number 1) (2560*1440). 

However, when i plug in my 2nd display monitor (Number 2) to have discord etc on (1920*1080) it all goes down hill when i start DCS.

5146ca263b37937ff60191df62d53f84.png

The MFD Res are set to 800*600 (Number 3 & 4)

Thank you for any help

UPDATE: With help from a member from the Hoggit discord this was the fix for my issue (Moved Monitor 2 to the far right)

unknown.png

2_MFD_2560_x_1440.lua

Edited by Buck 1-1

43 minutes ago, Buck 1-1 said:

Hello Im having some issues getting my screens all working.

My Two Displays that i use for my MFD work fine with just a single Main monitor (Number 1) (2560*1440). 

However, when i plug in my 2nd display monitor (Number 2) to have discord etc on (1920*1080) it all goes down hill when i start DCS.

5146ca263b37937ff60191df62d53f84.png

The MFD Res are set to 800*600 (Number 3 & 4)

Thank you for any help

2_MFD_2560_x_1440.lua 562 B · 0 downloads

For historical purposes, we figured this out via discord.

Quoted...
it looks like your problem is that you want DCS on 1, but when using multiscreen dcs will want to start on the top left most monitor, which in this case is 2. Try this: Drag 2 to the other side, as seen below.

unknown.png

Solution worked. Yay!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a problem with the monitor setup options GUI. If I edit the folder name in dcs/config/monitorsetup it doesn't show up in the in game scroll down list... I've checked the .Lua by using an original directory name and copying my .Lua and it works so it's not a syntax or formatting problem. Is there a file for the monitor setup options that stores the separate names of the monitor setup file? This is the only thing I can think of that would cause this

3 hours ago, Trigger357 said:

I'm having a problem with the monitor setup options GUI. If I edit the folder name in dcs/config/monitorsetup it doesn't show up in the in game scroll down list... I've checked the .Lua by using an original directory name and copying my .Lua and it works so it's not a syntax or formatting problem. Is there a file for the monitor setup options that stores the separate names of the monitor setup file? This is the only thing I can think of that would cause this

The only reason why a lua hasn’t shown up for me is due to a syntax error. No, there isn’t a separate file that names the monitor lua. The first few lines of the monitor lua name it. Post yours here and someone may be able to take a look and see if it works for them. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

The only reason why a lua hasn’t shown up for me is due to a syntax error. No, there isn’t a separate file that names the monitor lua. The first few lines of the monitor lua name it. Post yours here and someone may be able to take a look and see if it works for them. 

I figured as much as I've been thru every folder and file looking 😂. Wound up being as simple as the file name had spaces in it. Now I've got that figure out. I'm now working on a solution to fix my aspect issue. Not important really I'm just messing around creating a Lua for a single monitor with 3 mfcds on the side. Think I need better understanding of the viewport functions at the bottom of the Lua code. 

1 hour ago, Trigger357 said:

I figured as much as I've been thru every folder and file looking 😂. Wound up being as simple as the file name had spaces in it. Now I've got that figure out. I'm now working on a solution to fix my aspect issue. Not important really I'm just messing around creating a Lua for a single monitor with 3 mfcds on the side. Think I need better understanding of the viewport functions at the bottom of the Lua code. 

You found it, nice. Feel free to ask a specific question. 

I think of Viewports as “windows”, just like the ones in your house. You make a section titled “Viewports” and in that section you will create your “windows” to the world. You can name them whatever you want, but it makes sense to name them some recognizable, such as “center” or “right”. Those will be your “center” and “right” viewports. You will also define each viewport, just as you would define the shape and properties of you a hand made “window”. Near the bottom of the lua you will see that is where we finish the definitions and “call” the viewports. You are telling the game that you want a viewport in a certain place or on a certain screen.  I hope that general description makes sense. 

The things outside of Viewports such as Left_Mfd and Right_Mfd are not “windows”. They are templates that have been defined elsewhere. You can still shape them and assign some properties though. So instead they are more like “pictures”. You get what you asked for, but you can still place it wherever you want in your home. 

Edited by Bailey

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for great tips in getting Kneeboard to work, i have to the best of my humble abilities followed the guide here , but it somehow does not change the position on my kneeboard. It still gets stuck on my bottom right MFD with the boarders out of reach to click and drag it back.

When it actually worked i get " tinted gamefiles" error on MP servers ?
Is there a step missing in the guide ? it seems like its not calling the correct scripts ( the replaced/ copied ones)

Appriciate any tips.

14 hours ago, sjaba said:

Thanks for great tips in getting Kneeboard to work, i have to the best of my humble abilities followed the guide here , but it somehow does not change the position on my kneeboard. It still gets stuck on my bottom right MFD with the boarders out of reach to click and drag it back.

When it actually worked i get " tinted gamefiles" error on MP servers ?
Is there a step missing in the guide ? it seems like its not calling the correct scripts ( the replaced/ copied ones)

Appriciate any tips.

I haven't been on DCS much since the last update so I'll have to check it and get back to you.

• Like 1

Changing the default opening position of the kneeboard

This zip file contains some mod files, you can either use a mod manager like OVGME, or copy them manually into
DCS World\Scripts\  --The main DCS install directory, eg C:\Program Files\DCS World\Scripts......   NOT "saved games"

Kneeboard.zip

The Mod adds 3 files, IT DOES NOT REPLACE THE ORIGINAL FILES.

Whichever method you choose check the folders to make sure the files have copied correctly.
DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\
should contain the file
ViewportHandling-resize.lua
and ViewportHandling.lua should remain

viewporthandlingresize.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\KNEEBOARD
should contain the file
declare_kneeboard_device2.lua
and declare_kneeboard_device.lua should remain

kneeboard.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and 
DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\KNEEBOARD\indicator
should now contain the file
init2.lua
and init.lua should remain

indicator.jpg

For the next steps you will need notepad++
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

Go back to 
DCS World\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit\
and open the file
ViewportHandling-resize.lua

This is where will configure where we want the kneeboard to open.
Line 33 says 
    dedicated_viewport = {0,0,default_width,default_height}

This is already modified and will open the kneeboard on the top left

You can however replace all the text with numbers, eg:

dedicated_viewport = {1000,360,600,800}

where
dedicated_viewport = {position-X coordinate, position-Y coordinate, width in pixels, height in pixels}
much like configuring your MFDs

The original line reads dedicated_viewport = {default_x,default_y,default_width,default_height}

viewporthandlingresize1.jpg

We now need to change the aircraft files to look for the newly installed mod files above. The easiest way is to use notepad++ to do this automatically.

Open notepad++
Click on the Search button
Click on Find in files

note1.jpg

Enter the following, make sure to copy the entry listed in bold in full including quotation marks and brackets:
Find what: "KNEEBOARD/declare_kneeboard_device.lua")
Replace with: "KNEEBOARD/declare_kneeboard_device2.lua")
Filters: *.lua
Directory: G:\DCS World\Mods\aircraft     (you will have to change this to your install directory)

edit: some aircraft have a space in the line 
dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."KNEEBOARD/declare_kneeboard_device2.lua")
and some do not, so this instruction is slightly different to the one included in the text file that is in the zip file.

note2.jpg

Click on "Replace in files" and click OK

note3.jpg

Notepad++ will replace the text in all of your installed aircraft files

note4.jpg

When complete, the number here should be pretty much how many aircraft you have installed.

note5.jpg

On the next DCS update, you should only have to do the steps to replace the text in the aircraft files.

Hope that helps

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldpop said:

I have 2 monitors 1, 1920x1080 and 2 1920x1200 and wish to put the MFCD’s on #1 but I CAN’T GET IT TO WORK, plz check my.lua and tell me where my error is.

MFCDs + Camera.lua 476 B · 0 downloads

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it really. You can delete the kneeboard bit at the bottom, as that doesn't do anything any more.

One thing is maybe that you haven't changed the "name =" inside the lua, this needs to be unique and also it needs a unique filename.

Did you make sure to select your resolution in DCS settings to be 3840x1080?

What aircraft are you trying to use it with, I only ask because if it's solely the Harrier or M2000, you need to turn on the display output via the keybinds, I think the defaults are , and .
but all other aircraft should come on at power up.

Is your main monitor in windows settings your left one? 

9 minutes ago, oldpop said:

Working (mostly). When I start the sim the screen comes up as in "new screen" att.  If i hit "control alt delete" - task mgr comes up, close Task mgr, and all works fine. (new screen 2).

Just a "bother"

new screen.jpg

new screen 2.jpg

Try LAlt + Enter. 

I get a similar result when I start DCS using HELIOS, but then I just click in the DCS window, and all is fine. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

On 1/18/2022 at 10:33 PM, oldpop said:

i'll give that a try as well!

Right, let's get you sorted out properly. I'm not really understanding how the second screenshot above, the one in the cockpit, has happened 🙂

I have just noticed that your game resolution should be 3840x1200, missed that one of your monitors was 1920x1200, or have you rotated the second monitor to portrait style, so tall and thin?

Please either describe, or take a screen shot of your windows desktop display setup, should look something like this.
Please explain which monitor is where (by resolution), and which is set to be the main display.

1.jpg

Edited yesterday at 08:00 PM by jonsky7

Edited by jonsky7