A8 Cockpit

Hobel

• 1 year later...

Not exactly true, as Anton got couple of things fixed in july beta update. But i know what you mean, the whole dcs WW2 development is so slowww that it sometimes painful to wait...

• Like 1

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually, the dashboard isn't exactly angular, the A-8 module panel and dashboard is correct but the shadows plays a trick in the eye to look all of it more angular than it actually is. In the actual pictures below you can see how it's the very same with RL pics though there're no shadow trick there so it looks rounded even on top of the actually angular dashboard top. Hard to explain in words anyhow, I hardly doubt anyone will understand what I just said 🤣 .

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

29 minutes ago, DB 605 said:

the whole dcs WW2 development is so slowww that it sometimes painful to wait...

Just like waiting for scheduled doctor visit, but it is planned so far in the future then you forget it when days come 😛

• Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

3 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Actually, the dashboard isn't exactly angular, the A-8 module panel and dashboard is correct but the shadows plays a trick in the eye to look all of it more angular than it actually is. In the actual pictures below you can see how it's the very same with RL pics though there're no shadow trick there so it looks rounded even on top of the actually angular dashboard top. Hard to explain in words anyhow, I hardly doubt anyone will understand what I just said 🤣 .

I think op means that leather cushion, wich indeed looks bit strange and angular on edges, unlike ones in pics of real planes. Also cockpit lightning in dcs is bit weird sometimes (dark areas are not dark enough etc). Plus all german planes would benefit from new coat of corret rlm 66 paint.

2 hours ago, grafspee said:

Just like waiting for scheduled doctor visit, but it is planned so far in the future then you forget it when days come 😛

Something like that i quess 😁 In both cases there is also actual fear that death may come sooner than that day...

• Like 1

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

5 hours ago, DB 605 said:

I think op means that leather cushion, wich indeed looks bit strange and angular on edges, unlike ones in pics of real planes. Also cockpit lightning in dcs is bit weird sometimes (dark areas are not dark enough etc). Plus all german planes would benefit from new coat of corret rlm 66 paint.

Yeah, you're right, the leather "cushion" was the word I wasn't finding to describe that. It's rounded as it should because it's stuffed, the top of the dashboard (I believe that's here) is a flat metal sheet though, so it's squared in the joints, but the stuffed leather cushion rounds the front of it. The lower RL pic shows exactly the same actually, stuffed cushion rounded though metal sheets joints are pointy, but DCS cockpit lacks a bit of "roundness", or something like that, in the cushion and it only, and apparently because the 3D model is surly rounded, shows the pointy edges of the dashboard flat metal sheets like that were the only detail there while the leather roundness is lost in the lack of a light and/or shadow showing it's there. Still I'm not sure I'm explaining myself at all 🤣 .

Anyhow, even with that I'd rather prefer this cockpit in the Dora than the oldie it shows nowadays, A-8 is still quite good.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

If you look close the shape is actually correct. What the model lacks is beefines in that part. If you look at the rs pics you can see the leather is pointy on that area where its connected to the instrument hood. However it appears like theres a flexible tube squeezed inside the leather sleeve so that part appears more round and more beefy. This also makes the hood look more narrow than the 3d model.

From an ex 3d modellers perspective this was either rushed or it indeed was simply referenced from a different batch... bear in mind pics of that rs anton are of an refurbished  one.

Also we do not know what ed used as ref and the germans werent that picky especially in 44 and 45.

10 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Still I'm not sure I'm explaining myself at all 🤣 .

I understand perfectly what you mean, and i agree this is indeed part of The problem. I have "inspected" it from many different positions in vr. To add this what doughguy said, it's bit too thin/not beefy enough and most of the wartime pics shows there usually was no seam in the corners. Together these points make it look bit weird and too sharp on corners.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

21 minutes ago, MrExplosion said:

doesnt look too bad to me

PXL_20220827_091654319.jpg

Yes, because dcs Anton is probably modelled from that restored example. But i have not yet find any wartime pics/ original cushion like that.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

vor 4 Stunden schrieb MrExplosion:

doesnt look too bad to me

PXL_20220827_091654319.jpg

ah okay that's where it comes from, i mean the sharp ones, that just doesn't look nice in my opinion ^^

Screen_190821_182449.thumb.jpg.dbb62dcef9d5e5c7d088615ffc6bb5e5.jpg

Screen_220920_155004.png

I find the result in the D9 is much better.🙂

Screen_220920_154624.png

Edited by Hobel
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hobel said:

I find the result in the D9 is much better.

Yep, in the "cushion" it definitely is, albeit sadly it shows its age despite the relatively recent retexturing.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Ala13_ManOWar:

Yep, in the "cushion" it definitely is, albeit sadly it shows its age despite the relatively recent retexturing.

I like everything about the DCS D9 cockpit better, it just looks nicer shape and colour😄

1 hour ago, Hobel said:

I like everything about the DCS D9 cockpit better, it just looks nicer shape and colour😄

🤣🤣 Ok, I give you that, it isn't terrible looking (never said it is), the external 3D model on the other hand was born flawed and that's the worst part of it definitely. Though age is still present 😁, I know the "pointy" edges in A-8 cockpit are a bummer in front of ones' eyes, but it's still way better just because newer and that's there also. I wish I had those gorgeous wings of the A-8 in the Dora…

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

• 5 months later...

I think part of the "problem" with dcs a8 cockpit is the small error in 3d model. Top panel over gauges was tapered to backwards while in dcs it's same widt both in front and back. Result is few centimeters too wide top part of panel and cushion. Not big error but still noticeable as it's in front of our eyes. I suck at explaining so check from the screens i add.

fw1.png

fw2.png

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]