syria, worth it ?

thrustvector

It's a pretty map

• large detailed cities/air bases

• sloped runways with FSX like PAPI lighting

but has WIP issues with

• optimisation i.e. high textures = +24GB memory use (ATM most systems require a 16-32GB page file to avoid CTD's due to memory issues)

• navigation/ILS beacons with wrong frequencies i.e. some NDB kHz set as MHz

• object draw distances i.e. visible tree line pop-in

I don't regret buying it but also can't 100% recommend it as it took ~2 years for Normandy to reach a "finished" state.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

You must be using the open beta.

I just bought it a few minutes ago - at the top it says "Requires DCS World version 2.5.6 or above! " so I thought okay, I'd buy it - but under the requirements it says "You need to have the "Open Beta" version DCS World 2.5 installed on your PC for this product.".

Nothing to say. I guess I'll be waiting to try it.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

On 1/21/2021 at 8:38 PM, Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis) said:

You must be using the open beta.

I just bought it a few minutes ago - at the top it says "Requires DCS World version 2.5.6 or above! " so I thought okay, I'd buy it - but under the requirements it says "You need to have the "Open Beta" version DCS World 2.5 installed on your PC for this product.".

Nothing to say. I guess I'll be waiting to try it.

This is a misleading statement, but it is wrong. I run DCS stable and enjoy the Syria map. This map was first available in OB, hence this comment, but they should have edited it later as it became available to the stable ca. sept. or october 2020.

• Thanks 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

19 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

poorly optimized, even on high end machines.

Runs just fine on mine. People throw around "poorly optimised" a bit too often in my opinion: look at Glide's post above.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

3 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Beautiful map, but poorly optimized, even on high end machines.

Give it another year and see if Ugra will make it right. Hopefully not in the 2 years they took to fix Normandy.

Honestly, just set the ground textures to low if you have 8gb of VRAM or less and it’s fine. This map runs beautifully compared to the Channel, even though it is much bigger and its cities are larger. It runs just as well as the other modern maps once ground textures are on low and I honestly cannot tell the difference in the headset.

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

I'm not running it on high. Med settings in VR. 

Using the Refuel/Rearm screen, stutter.

Using the F10 Map, stutter and freezing

Using F2 view, stutter and freezing

Y'all can say what you want, but I shouldnt have to dull down everything to low, to make something run decently based upon specs set by the developer. I'm above those specs, btw.

Ugra did the same thing with Normandy. Beautiful map, but very hard on systems at release. And it took a couple of years until things got the attention it should have. 

Might be worth checking out if its not something on your end. 20+ guys on my squad play this map with me regularly, none have huge stutter issues, and many have 4+ years old PCs. I only set ground textures to low, the rest stays on high. It is a demanding map, maybe some optimization could improve it further, but I can vouch for the fact that all my squadmates are able to play it without so much trouble.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...