Admiral189 and CrazyEddies Augusta Westland AW101 Merlin - AI Only

Just to keep you aware, we are looking at several options to update, in due course.  Wheels, Lights, Doors, Ramps come to mind. Hawkeye60 is going to try and make a flyable Mod out of this but that will be outside of this Mod and it will be uploaded separately, we only ever intended for this to be an AI Mod.  Flyables are beyond our knowledge at present, we have a lot to learn before we go there. 

• Like 4

as soon as I have time, I post close-up photos of my helicopters. plus i will share my mods with you when all the bugs are fixed.
CrazyEddies I see you make awesome livery mine could use a pro like you because I'm not good at designing liveries. if that tempts you, I would be
 happy to see my chopper with a real livery.see you soon, follow this post for future additions
Damien
ps: I modify the files of the merlin eh101 see with amiral189 to share them because he is the owner

Edited by damienntrix
  • Like 2

Thanks Urbi, we think you are right, we will have to fix that. A million thanks to Damien for his help, we are looking to add some features which he has helped us with enormously, we have deleted the link for now and will put up a new one when we have made the changes. 

Its still a steep learning curve for Admiral and myself, be patient. 

2 hours ago, damienntrix said:

as soon as I have time, I post close-up photos of my helicopters. plus i will share my mods with you when all the bugs are fixed.
CrazyEddies I see you make awesome livery mine could use a pro like you because I'm not good at designing liveries. if that tempts you, I would be
 happy to see my chopper with a real livery.see you soon, follow this post for future additions
Damien
ps: I modify the files of the merlin eh101 see with amiral189 to share them because he is the owner

Damien: When we have finished this one I would be glad to help mate, you have helped us and we will return the favour. But we need to finish this first.  PS:  Admiral and I own this jointly, he is the brains and I am the brawn !!! 😃  We work on this as a team. 

Edited by crazyeddie
  • Like 1

Just to tell you that what you are doing is really aprreciated and very useful to complete our DCS environment and missions.

Thank you all for your time and great work

I badfully have no talent in programming or painting skins but I can test and report if necessary.

Regards

15 hours ago, Worg said:

The helicopters would be a big advantage in the DCS universe. We really miss it.
Do the troops of soldier board your helicopters?

We dont know the answer to that Worg, we have never tried it. We spend so much time modding these days we lose track of what the game can and cant do and I have never got around to trying that function in game. We are rebuilding the Mod at the moment, as soon as that is done we will try it and let you know. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crazyeddie said:

Nous ne connaissons pas la réponse à ce Worg, nous ne l'avons jamais essayé. Nous passons tellement de temps à modifier ces jours-ci que nous perdons la trace de ce que le jeu peut et ne peut pas faire et je n'ai jamais essayé cette fonction dans le jeu. Nous reconstruisons le Mod en ce moment, dès que cela sera fait, nous l'essayerons et vous le ferons savoir. 

Thanks for the work you do.
And thank you for sharing it with us.
I don't know what other nation uses the puma or the caracal. But an AI helicopter pack would be a big plus for the community.
Good luck with the work.

Hello All,

I combed through some code today and found the code which let's us Embark to Transport Troops on the Merlin. You can add this code anywhere but i placed it under the Tasks in the Merlin's eh101.lua Main LUA CODE! It's towards the bottom of the LUA. 

I'm thinking the nominal capacity can be tweaked to more or less troops. I haven't tested that yet. 

InternalCargo = {
                nominalCapacity = 300,
                maximalCapacity = 500
        },

r,Admiral189

Screen_210216_085500.jpg

• Like 2

My original plan was to create a Military Helicopter Mod similar in style and complimentary to the Civil Aircraft Mod and Military Aircraft Mod's. II was too ambitious a project and we quickly realised we don't have the technical knowledge needed to complete a Mod of this complexity, to our satisfaction. Our first attempt was very oversized and we could not create a credible flight model or master some of the technical issues associated with a wheeled Helicopter.  As we fixed some issues we created more, and the deeper we got into the technical aspects of creating even a simple AI model the more difficult it became to create our original  Mod in the way that we wanted to do it.   

The larger project is abandoned, however, we are still considering what to do with the Merlin, if it does come back it may be in a different form.   

1 hour ago, crazyeddie said:

Mon plan initial était de créer un mod d'hélicoptère militaire similaire dans le style et complémentaire au mod d'avions civils et aux mods d'avions militaires. II était un projet trop ambitieux et nous nous sommes vite rendu compte que nous n'avions pas les connaissances techniques nécessaires pour réaliser un Mod de cette complexité, à notre satisfaction. Notre première tentative était très surdimensionnée et nous n'avons pas pu créer un modèle de vol crédible ni maîtriser certains des problèmes techniques associés à un hélicoptère à roues. Au fur et à mesure que nous résolvions certains problèmes, nous en créions davantage, et plus nous approfondissions les aspects techniques de la création, même d'un simple modèle d'IA, plus il devenait difficile de créer notre Mod original de la manière que nous voulions le faire.   

Le plus grand projet est abandonné, cependant, nous réfléchissons toujours à ce qu'il faut faire avec le Merlin, s'il revient, il peut être sous une forme différente.   

Too bad.
I suspect that this creation must be complex.
Did you try to ask for help, I am thinking in particular of the Cuesta brothers, he could perhaps help you and would be happy I think to create helicopters like Merlin, Puma, Caracal ect ...

1 hour ago, crazyeddie said:

My original plan was to create a Military Helicopter Mod similar in style and complimentary to the Civil Aircraft Mod and Military Aircraft Mod's. II was too ambitious a project and we quickly realised we don't have the technical knowledge needed to complete a Mod of this complexity, to our satisfaction. Our first attempt was very oversized and we could not create a credible flight model or master some of the technical issues associated with a wheeled Helicopter.  As we fixed some issues we created more, and the deeper we got into the technical aspects of creating even a simple AI model the more difficult it became to create our original  Mod in the way that we wanted to do it.   

The larger project is abandoned, however, we are still considering what to do with the Merlin, if it does come back it may be in a different form.   

Thank you for what you done so far. I´m still using it in my missions because it have the liverie of my country (Portugal) and it´s a great asset to my airbases. At least until an DCS update break it 🙂

Best regards and keep up,

we´ll be waiting for news from you soon 🙂

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

There are several issues with requesting help from different groups. We all do this mod stuff differently, we all want our Mods to be different things, no 2 groups use the same graphics software or even the same versions of 3dmax, and we all have different priorities. (I just want eye candy, I want it flyable, I want it to have these lights, I want it to be able to do this or not do that - its and endless list !) We did get help from others, and that was very much appreciated and some of that help is ongoing, but its extremely difficult to have several groups playing with the same model with all the different permutations of kit and still end up with what it was you envisaged at the very beginning. Evolution of the Mod is great, opening the doors and the ramp were not in the original plan but were a great addition, but at some point you lose control of what it was you had and unless you have the skills to manage all of that complexity you are going to produce something less than what you started with.

I lost control of the whole and I knew then it was time to sit back and take stock. I still have the Merlin I bought in and I'm taking stock. 

• Like 6