Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

Transfer steerpoints from the F10 map into the aircraft - DCS: The Way

Comrade Doge

7 hours ago, Nialfb said:

I think the issue is that, even though you have the MOD running in VR, it is not recognised within VR itself so you won't see the green circle. It's like an external program running. I open my mission in Mission Editor in a 2D session and use the green circle to select the target waypoints and I save these to file. In VR, I open the MOD and start DCS - the MOD detects the plane I am flying and I am able to open the file with the saved waypoints. I then just need to click on the upload to plane button in the MOD and, although I am in VR, the MOD uploads without a problem.

Okay, so the downside is I can't see the MOD without lifting my VR headset momentaril, which is why I was asking about OVRDrop. That is an app that allows viewing seperate windows inside the VR environment. It isn't going to help with saving the waypoints initially but it will help with uploading the waypoints to the plane. If I need additinal waypoints in game I can just set mark points and use those as a waypoint in the normal way.

Thanks for the detailed explanation,  appreciate it.  Will give the 2D session a go.  Have a good one

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

Hi all,

I just tried to fly in a server that required pure scripts, and it failed (1st time I tried since installing TheWay, normally fly on this server daily without issue).

Is there any way to make TheWay pass that test?

'52

i7-11700F  64GB RAM  RTX3060  WIN 10Pro  HP Reverb G2  TM Cougar & Logitech X56

I am a VR user, and i needed a bridge between my two favorite tools, so i made one.

I made a python script that converts the content from the scratchpad mod to generate a file that The Way can import. You put the script in the DCS saved games scratchpad folder, right next to 0000.txt and run it.It runs until you stop it and listens for changes in the scratchpad file. If you use the scratchpad functionality to pick coordinates off the f10 map the script will see the change and write a file called scratchpad.tw. You can import this file with The Way.

It will run constantly and look for changes in 0000.txt. 

If you want to name a waypoint you need to put 

WP: followed by the name in the line above the captured coordinate block, otherwise it will default to WAYPOINT0,  WAYPOINT1, WAYPOINT2 and so on.

so for instance:

WP:Ingress
N 34°00'42.28", E 35°45'11.23"
N 34°00.7047', E 35°45.1872'
36 S YC 54246 66876
1388m, 4552ft

Will be translated into the scratchpad.tw file as.

[{"id":2,"name":"Ingress","lat":34.011744444,"long":35.753119444,"elev":1388.0}]

Which you can then use for the "From a file" function in The Way

Feel free to use it. 

Dont go to crazy with what you put in the scratchpad, but it should ignore single lines and skip blocks that dont have LAT/LONG and Elevation in them.

The file is attached and also available at: https://pastebin.com/R0zQZgV8

scratchpad_theway.py

Edited by IndexCase
  • Like 3

hi @Comrade Doge fantasic job! thank you so much!!

would you consider adding VFR flight plan capability to your already outstanding tool? -this would be extremely useful for a/c without RNAV capability, such as the huey, tiger etc and probably all WW2 era planes.

a simple flight plan could maybe be displayed on your app (or be injected to the kneeboard, dunno) and look like this:

WP

HDG

TRK

DIST

ETE

essential data being (wind corrected) magnetic heading and estimated time enroute. magnetic track and leg distance are for info only.

basic workflow would go about like this:

1)user picks WPs on F10 map as usual

2)user entry required: IAS and cruising ALT

3)TAS can be derivated from IAS and ALT

4)wind corrected HDG and GS determined by current wind dir*/speed

5)ETE per leg results from GS

*wind direction and track need to be magnetic (magn.variation varies, and can be retrieved using the magvar class -thanks @Chump).

please let me know, in case you're interested and if i can be of any assistance.
thanks

Edited by HILOK
magnetic variation
  • Like 2

3.png

I have a problem here, the crosshair of TheWay.exe is not in the center of the screen, so the coordinates obtained are also a bit off, I used a third party screen crosshair to temporarily solve this problem, I hope you can fix this bug 🙂

The resolution of my monitor is 3440*1440/21:9

1.png

2.png

Above are the coordinates obtained using TheWay.exe crosshairs.
Below are the coordinates obtained using the crosshairs at the center of the screen.

• Like 1

I have a suggestion that the A-10C add a mode to overwrite existing waypoint data like the F-16C (using the Waypoint Selector Boat Switch in the lower right corner of the CDU panel, as long as the player has copied the number of waypoints they need beforehand), instead of just copying and add a new one. Since the A-10C can only manually add 50 waypoints and cannot delete them, the CDU will indicate an error if it exceeds that number. 😞

Edited by egnbv

On 10/9/2023 at 11:08 AM, HILOK said:

would you consider adding VFR flight plan capability to your already outstanding tool? -this would be extremely useful for a/c without RNAV capability, such as the huey, tiger etc and probably all WW2 era planes.

just wanted to add, here's an example pointing out that this could also be a thing for modern jets...

Great APP .....!!!

thank you 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

On 10/9/2023 at 12:08 PM, HILOK said:

hi @Comrade Doge fantasic job! thank you so much!!

a simple flight plan could maybe be displayed on your app (or be injected to the kneeboard, dunno) and look like this:

WP

HDG

TRK

DIST

ETE

essential data being (wind corrected) magnetic heading and estimated time enroute. magnetic track and leg distance are for info only.

basic workflow would go about like this:

1)user picks WPs on F10 map as usual

2)user entry required: IAS and cruising ALT

3)TAS can be derivated from IAS and ALT

4)wind corrected HDG and GS determined by current wind dir*/speed

5)ETE per leg results from GS

*wind direction and track need to be magnetic (magn.variation varies, and can be retrieved using the magvar class -thanks @Chump).

please let me know, in case you're interested and if i can be of any assistance.
thanks

Hello, good suggestion, I am sure this will be useful for some players out there, I will consider adding this functionality if time allows it

On 10/13/2023 at 6:13 PM, egnbv said:

3.png

I have a problem here, the crosshair of TheWay.exe is not in the center of the screen, so the coordinates obtained are also a bit off, I used a third party screen crosshair to temporarily solve this problem, I hope you can fix this bug 🙂

The resolution of my monitor is 3440*1440/21:9

1.png

2.png

Above are the coordinates obtained using TheWay.exe crosshairs.
Below are the coordinates obtained using the crosshairs at the center of the screen.

Good find, this will be fixed in the next version

On 10/13/2023 at 6:21 PM, egnbv said:

I have a suggestion that the A-10C add a mode to overwrite existing waypoint data like the F-16C (using the Waypoint Selector Boat Switch in the lower right corner of the CDU panel, as long as the player has copied the number of waypoints they need beforehand), instead of just copying and add a new one. Since the A-10C can only manually add 50 waypoints and cannot delete them, the CDU will indicate an error if it exceeds that number. 😞

sadly I am not too familiar with the A10 to know how to override the points, maybe if someone else can contribute to that code...

• Like 1

Hello all, New Release incoming, here are the changes:

• The UH60 Blackhawk is now supported
  • F15E routes bugfixes and improvements
  • Improved crosshair visibility
  • Fixed crosshair not being centered properly

You can find the link to download HERE

If you are updating from an older version, simply run the new installer.

As always thank you for your interest and support in this project, it has come a long way (pun intended) since the beginning!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Comrade Doge Thanks for the update!

I had made a suggestion a couple pages back that I’m not sure if you saw. I don’t think I saw you respond to it, one way or the other. Figured I would mention it again in case you missed it.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/272110-transfer-steerpoints-from-the-f10-map-into-the-aircraft-dcs-the-way/?do=findComment&comment=5278504

if it’s not a feature that sounds interesting to you, that’s fine too. 

10 minutes ago, Floyd1212 said:

@Comrade Doge Thanks for the update!

I had made a suggestion a couple pages back that I’m not sure if you saw. I don’t think I saw you respond to it, one way or the other. Figured I would mention it again in case you missed it.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/272110-transfer-steerpoints-from-the-f10-map-into-the-aircraft-dcs-the-way/?do=findComment&comment=5278504

if it’s not a feature that sounds interesting to you, that’s fine too. 

Hello, must have missed it, interesting request. If I find the time necessary, I must find a proper UI implementation that won't clutter the interface. In the meantime, you can try saving the points to files, for the target and nav options, then import each of them when needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can only load the tools internal format, so something you’ve saved yourself. It may be possible to write some code that translates from other formats, but that’s not supported yet.

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 5900X, AMD 6700XT, 64GB DDR4, WD SN850X. Samsung Odyssey G5 34”, or an Oculus Rift S.

Eagerly Anticipating: OH-58, Eurofighter Typhoon, C-130, Chinook

20 hours ago, Buzzf18e said:

I have to ask about the latest iteration (2.3.0) and why does it ask me to transfer as front or back seater and the A-route or B-route, what the heck is that?

What aircraft are you in? An F15?

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 5900X, AMD 6700XT, 64GB DDR4, WD SN850X. Samsung Odyssey G5 34”, or an Oculus Rift S.

41 minutes ago, Buzzf18e said:

Yes, F-15E.

Yeah, so different button IDs for front/back seat, and I think you can have 2 routes stored at a time in the F15E, so it needs to know which to update. There’s a checkbox to save what you tell it I believe.

• 2 weeks later...