When to trim video?

Stratos

My question is, what technique is used for trim in the real bird. Because, I'm seeing lots of hot takes here on the forums. Some people are saying you need to HOLD the trim button down until your stabilized like in the KA-50, others are saying you use many frequent TAPs of the trim button. One person said you need to do both. lol

My problem is that every so often when I try to trim, the autopilot seems to spaz out momentarily and I occasionally end up with oscillations usually in pitch. They tend to work themselves out after a few seconds but the issue is when I'm trying to aim on an attack run and I want to quickly establish an attitude, I encounter this issue it makes aiming infuriating. The settings I have are center position trim, and rudder trim selected in special options and I'm using a TMW grip and base.

For context I've been researching the Mi-8s autopilot system and I don't know if its an issue where I'm running into the servo stops and I need to adjust the rotary knobs, like in that aircraft or if its even similar in the Mi-24 or if I just don't understand how trim and autopilot interact, or how your supposed to work them together? Am I being to aggressive when I roll in? Is this normal behavior?

Any ideas? haha

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Wizard_03:

My problem is that every so often when I try to trim, the autopilot seems to spaz out momentarily and I occasionally end up with oscillations usually in pitch.

I'm experiencing the same behaviour and opted to the Ka-50 method of holding until stable. Also I try to incorporate the plane like trim as much as possible. I'd really like to know how the real procedures look like.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wizard_03 said:

My question is, what technique is used for trim in the real bird. Because, I'm seeing lots of hot takes here on the forums. Some people are saying you need to HOLD the trim button down until your stabilized like in the KA-50, others are saying you use many frequent TAPs of the trim button. One person said you need to do both. lol

My problem is that every so often when I try to trim, the autopilot seems to spaz out momentarily and I occasionally end up with oscillations usually in pitch. They tend to work themselves out after a few seconds but the issue is when I'm trying to aim on an attack run and I want to quickly establish an attitude, I encounter this issue it makes aiming infuriating. The settings I have are center position trim, and rudder trim selected in special options and I'm using a TMW grip and base.

For context I've been researching the Mi-8s autopilot system and I don't know if its an issue where I'm running into the servo stops and I need to adjust the rotary knobs, like in that aircraft or if its even similar in the Mi-24 or if I just don't understand how trim and autopilot interact, or how your supposed to work them together? Am I being to aggressive when I roll in? Is this normal behavior?

Any ideas? haha

On a Mi-8. holding the button is quite similar to tapping the button frequently, it constantly or frequently zeroes out the AP pitch/roll stick position signals, but unlike Ka-50, it does not update SAS attitude reference.

The holding/tapping technique is emphasized because it contrasts with western helicopters usage of the force trim, where you use the stick often, but only sets force trim every once a while.

8 hours ago, TheCrysinator said:

I'm experiencing the same behaviour and opted to the Ka-50 method of holding until stable. Also I try to incorporate the plane like trim as much as possible. I'd really like to know how the real procedures look like.

My methode is to hold trim and release until stable (exactly like video above). I love Hind flight model. Its a joy to fly and its easy to fly with my MS FFB2. its easier to fly than the Hip IMO.

• Like 1

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

1 hour ago, Oceandar said:

My methode is to hold trim and release until stable (exactly like video above). I love Hind flight model. Its a joy to fly and its easy to fly with my MS FFB2. its easier to fly than the Hip IMO.

Hey, you've got my interest here knowing you also fly with the MS FFB2, how is your feeling flying the Hind with it especially at takeoff, slow speed, landing and the hardest, hovering ?

Day one was really hard for me, made a long post about my experience flying the hind and quoted it as being unflyable because of how sensitive it was !

I've applied a few things people told me and i'm feeling much better about it now with the modifications i've done but still experience difficulty taking off stable, hovering stable and landing stable, the chopper really feels wayyy too sensitive, every tiny input constantly sways the chopper and therefore induces drift that i'm constantly having to readjust for which ends up in more sway in another direction and simply goes into a repeating process.

I've seen videos of people managing an almost perfect hover and very stable lift off/landing like as if the chopper had some hover autopilot ON (But those people clearly were not using the hover autopilot). And talking about the hover autopilot, i have tried using it, i can say it pretty much is useless, i was able to keep the chopper more stable myself even with the constant sways than what the autopilot did.

So i'm still on the hunt for things i could do/use to make my takeoffs, hovers and landing as stable as possible (Would it even be possible to reach a point where i can let go off the stick and have my chopper remain almost on the spot ?).

6 hours ago, malcheus said:

So when they trim, they're holding the button during the whole evolution until it's in the position they want. They are NOT moving the stick to the desired position and then press/tapping it. It looks like its being held from the beginning of cyclic movement until the movement is finished, and the they're using the hat for fine tuning. 

That makes sense if the trim is indeed pausing the autopilot, but I don't know how they interact. 

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

5 minutes ago, Wizard_03 said:

So when they trim, they're holding the button during the whole evolution until it's in the position they want. They are NOT moving the stick to the desired position and then press/tapping it. It looks like its being held from the beginning of cyclic movement until the movement is finished, and the they're using the hat for fine tuning. 

That makes sense if the trim is indeed pausing the autopilot, but I don't know how they interact. 

Both ways work ingame. Best habit is hold trim, get desired cyclic position, release, center physical stick (non ffb stick). The auto pilot channels in the Hind seem to be less intrusive than the Ka-50 ones are, so you also get away with move and tab strategy, but it's not recommended. Another thing are micro adjustments like I do in my video you have to be fast here so it's not super synced and you are better with the quick tab technique. 

• Like 1

Hey, you've got my interest here knowing you also fly with the MS FFB2, how is your feeling flying the Hind with it especially at takeoff, slow speed, landing and the hardest, hovering ?Day one was really hard for me, made a long post about my experience flying the hind and quoted it as being unflyable because of how sensitive it was !

To be honest I didnt like it at all first time I flew it. I tried flying it with my warthog and I hated it. But then I swapped to my FFB2 and it was amazing.
Yes its sensitive and you just need to be gentle with the stick. I believe its just a matter of time untill you can get used to it. After a while I could do crazy maneuver with it lol. My experience with the Hip helped alot I guess. I don't have problem with take off, landing and hovering.
I wish I could make a video of it but unfortunately have no time and skill for it.
Keep practice and you'll get there, dont worry.

Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

50 minutes ago, Stratos said:

and what's the name of the TRIM button control in english?

Trimmer button

• Like 1

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II