F14 module so expensive!

cptmrcalm

On 6/25/2021 at 4:14 AM, cptmrcalm said:

Hi all.

Difficult to put into words my thoughts on the pricing of these modules.

Being a steam user of DCS, I wonder has the F14 module been on a more reasonable sale price with ED? Steam at the moment only has ever shown 15%, which makes the price fall down from insanely high to now eye watering.

I am not sure what it is I am trying to achieve here by casting my thoughts.

But £65 for a flight module I think is so high a price to make it feel offensive.

I bought the F16 and F18 at £30 each (with a year or so apart) and thought that price to be a little steep at the time. I feel now that those modules were worth it. At that price. I am not sure I would have bought the two as quickly as I did if they had been £65 -probably only buying one.

Is the F14 so much more a module over the F16 and F18? I am not talking about performance of the jet, but I guess the 3d model and systems and sound etc etc.

I just find it hard to believe that I would be getting that much more.

I've no doubt its a great module btw. I don't mean to suggest its poor in any way. Everyone has the right to charge what they feel its worth and I understand the model of business here adopted by ED and its partners. 

I suppose I can just keep it on my wish-list for it to fall down to more reasonable but expensive £30+ .

I bought the Tomcat last year for about $55 and it’s worth very penny. But save and think about because right it doesn’t work properly and ain’t worth the money. It’s not Heatblurs fault and hopeful E D will get it fixed. But it is the best mod in my opinion.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 6/25/2021 at 11:14 AM, cptmrcalm said:

Hi all.

Difficult to put into words my thoughts on the pricing of these modules.

Being a steam user of DCS, I wonder has the F14 module been on a more reasonable sale price with ED? Steam at the moment only has ever shown 15%, which makes the price fall down from insanely high to now eye watering.

I am not sure what it is I am trying to achieve here by casting my thoughts.

But £65 for a flight module I think is so high a price to make it feel offensive.

I bought the F16 and F18 at £30 each (with a year or so apart) and thought that price to be a little steep at the time. I feel now that those modules were worth it. At that price. I am not sure I would have bought the two as quickly as I did if they had been £65 -probably only buying one.

Is the F14 so much more a module over the F16 and F18? I am not talking about performance of the jet, but I guess the 3d model and systems and sound etc etc.

I just find it hard to believe that I would be getting that much more.

I've no doubt its a great module btw. I don't mean to suggest its poor in any way. Everyone has the right to charge what they feel its worth and I understand the model of business here adopted by ED and its partners. 

I suppose I can just keep it on my wish-list for it to fall down to more reasonable but expensive £30+ .

The price is justified. Yes, it is that good. Worth every cent. And still cheaper than certain civilian modules that are inferior in fidelity.

It'll never drop down to 30 quid.

The reason the F-16C and the F/A-18C have a higher discount is because those are ED modules, owned by ED themselves. So they can set the price to whatever they want. They do not have quite the same control over the prices of third party developers, it seems. Which is fair enough. Not every third party developer has the resources to just axe the price in half on a quarterly basis.

In the end, it doesn't matter. What matters is, how badly do you want the Tomcat? And how much do you think the developer of arguably one of the finest modules in flight sim history should be rewarded for their effort? I have seen plane modules for other sims go for 130 bucks and more... think about it.

http://www.csg-2.net/ | i7 7700k - NVIDIA 1080 - 32GB RAM | BKR!

Heatblur has created the most comprehensive simulation of a Tomcat that anyone could have ever fantasized about in their wildest dreams. Factor that in with all of the things we're getting along with it - for free - and anyone can see that their asking price is shockingly low. But even if it had been more, and I would have had to pay for each extra F-14 variant they're offering, I would still buy them all without hesitation.

I don't give a damn what it costs.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

19 minutes ago, Nexus-6 said:

Heatblur has created the most comprehensive simulation of a Tomcat that anyone could have ever fantasized about in their wildest dreams. Factor that in with all of the things we're getting along with it - for free - and anyone can see that their asking price is shockingly low. But even if it had been more, and I would have had to pay for each extra F-14 variant they're offering, I would still buy them all without hesitation.

I don't give a damn what it costs.

I'm traditionally a warbird and vintage pilot, but the F-14 is an amazing module. You get the rare combination of visceral warbird-level stick and rudder feel along with the BVR capabilities and raw speed of a modern jet. Operate from carriers or land. Campaigns. Training missions. You just can't beat it.

To the OP, how much have you spent on hardware? The F-14, especially on sale, is a drop in the bucket compared to other expenses in this hobby. Vote with your dollars and support the hard-working devs of modules like this that make our hobby possible.

Edit - I didn't expect to be into the Tomcat as much as I am. But to ED's credit, it was during a free-to-play session that I tried it and immediately thought "holy crap, this thing is damn fun to fly".

And systems aside, the thing is simply gorgeous when it comes to visual fidelity. If there ever is a court case where developers of shovelware are on the stand, this module could be Exhibit A as to how things SHOULD be done in the industry.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1