Gunner tasks

Shibbyland

Hi All,

What are the roles of the gunner beyond firing the ATGM? I'm just speculating in real life that the gunner would be handling a number of non flying tasks such as comms and nav enroute.

Given the guns and rockets are fixed in position and operated by the pilot, I'm not sure what the gunner will be doing if you're not armed with ATGMs.

Cheers

• Like 2

Comms and Nav I would guess and of course lookout for enemy threats etc etc. Perhaps making a grocery list of what to buy when they get back to base, what movie to rent at the video store (80's scenarios only).

• Like 3

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

Spotting and helping in situational awareness are the main tasks I think... our petrovich should soon be able to do this also! Looking forward to the spotting feature... and the voiceovers 😃

• Like 3

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

What’s the front sight up the front though? He’s got the main sight we use but there’s that glass/Perspex sight directly infront that I can’t see a use for with the weapons we have planned unless maybe he takes over as pilot perhaps following the incapacitation of the pilot…but then if that were the case you probably wouldn’t remain in combat 

• Like 1

I believe that sight would be used by the gunner to fire rockets ,Machine Guns, etc but as of now it doesn't fold down. However if you lower the Gunners seat position enough you can see the crosshairs reflected enough in it and can do a decent job of attacking targets from the front seat if you wish. 

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

When I fly with a front seat player, I leave all navigation to him, and also have him guide me in and out of the target area. I also have him tell me when I am about 4.5km away from the target area after an attack so we can turn in to re-attack. With a live front seat player, I only fly and I let the front seater command.

• Like 1

The Observer title alone implies so much, along side the equipment that he has available up front.  The most obvious job being that of acquiring and engaging targets with the ATGM system, but also really being that second set of eyes.  There are many things that the observer seat could also, and maybe should, be able to do.

• Use the ARC-15 navigation set
  • Be able to fly the helicopter at any given time, do not assume that you will never need to.  There are controls there for a reason, and you can help to mitigate your pilots workload at times where he may have to go head down in the pit.  This involves knowing what keys are used to switch, and the process of doing so.
  • Have a basic understanding of your front seat unguided weapons controls.  Though I can't see many scenarios where the observer engaging would be preferable another way to think of the front seat is almost as a training seat.  It's simpler and thus easier to learn.  It's a good place for a Hind pilot to start, especially if they can get someone more practiced to take the back seat and show them ins and outs.
  • Have a full understanding of the counter measure system.
  • Understand how to use the 9K113 as more than just a weapon reticle.  While its not a Vivianne on top of the Gazelle it is still a powerful optic that can be trained where you wish to spot ground units at range with practice. I've personally spotted AAA assets at 10kms.

The biggest snags I fear most starting observers will run into is communication with their pilot, this is also where Petro fails miserably for now, as basically texting your back seater to let him know whats going on is hilariously inefficient.  Especially in a high stress environment where simple verbal cues would be far more effective.

• Be communicative, let your pilot know what you're doing.  If you're opening the doors to the 9k113 make sure they know, and make sure they know when you've closed them.  Flip side, they should be just as communicative back.  While I'm not saying a Jester level of banter need exist, information not passed through can lead to uncertainty and a bad time.  
  • Know how to use the radio system as best you can in the front seat.  While you don't have full control over the radios by any means you can still know how to use them. Be it via srs, the built in vox, teamspeak, discord, doesn't matter.  When your pilot is cruising at 25ft agl and weaving around obstacles the last thing he needs is to be trying to communicate complex radio responses.  This is where you can, and should come in.
  • Be proactive about your continued existence, and the safety of the helicopter.  Tell the pilot that certain things are a bad idea.  Don't let him hot rod you around like his first girlfriend in his first car.  Or do, I suppose, if you enjoy the start up procedure that much.  

Most importantly, I feel, is find a pilot you can fly with regularly and switch seats from time to time.  The fact of the matter is that both of you will improve rapidly by filling the others shoes from time to time.  The pilot will never understand how frustrating it is to be jostled constantly while in the gunsight, or the blind spots in the front seat, if he never ever sits up there.  Just like the observer will never understand the pilots workflow, blindspots, and weaknesses (like nose low visibility) if he never sits in that seat.  You will learn each others weaknesses, and strengths over time, and be able to much more easily focus on building yourself into a proper little one ship team.  Which will already make you far, far more efficient than any pilot forced into using Petrovich.

Of course, this is all for not if your tail desyncs and ejects itself like a confused journalist. 🤣

Edited by Fenin
  • Like 3

On 7/11/2021 at 1:45 AM, Fenin said:
  • Be proactive about your continued existence, and the safety of the helicopter.  Tell the pilot that certain things are a bad idea. ... 

Not that pilots listen.... 🤨😁

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, Sealpup said:

More like an example of, as the associated report called it, a couple of 'cowboys'.

They were insanely low the entire time.  It wouldn't be worth it even in combat IMO.  A weird gust of wind; a tiny muscle spasm and you're dead. 

The pilot obviously must be skilled af.  But also reckless af. I wonder if he flew after this.

Edited by sublime