An Open Letter to the Community

EvilBivol-1

We have a policy of not allowing copyright debates since the decision on a CP method has been made, and all that happens in these so called debates is a degeneration into ranting and flaming.
In that case, this should have been a locked thread. What is the point if negative comments are not welcome?

I'm glad I'm no longer running a Lockon fansite ...

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point of the thread was to inform you of what is going on.

You can say that you will not buy Black Shark because you don't like the CP; you can say you disagree with how it was handled, fine. The rest is fluff, unnecessary, and inflammatory.

I'm pretty sure that you'd be tired of it if someone constantly attacked you on your own fansite.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

open letter

I'm pretty sure that you'd be tired of it if someone constantly attacked you on your own fansite.

I think that you are wrong. We just wanted a little bit of confidence from ED.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

MB MSI x570 Prestige Creation, RYzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Ram 3333MHz, cooler Dark rock PRO 4, eVGA 1080Ti, 32 inch BenQ 32011pt, saitek X52Pro, HP Reverb, win 10 64bit

If ED feels that DCS sales are more hurt by the CP methods than helped, perhaps they will change their minds.

Is there a realistic chance of that? I don't mind StarForce, or any other copy protection, but online activation is a real deal breaker for me. I upgrade my hardware regularly and as a result I reformat several times a year. I also don't connect my gaming rig to the internet.

I'm sorry to hear the game has been hacked. I was delighted when I read, a week or so ago, that there would be no online activation required, but now, pfft. **** those hackers!

You should be able to activate by phone; and I believe there might be an option for de-activating and then re-activating your install to deal with upgrades, but I don't know what is being done for the western release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

What kind of hardware changes require you to reformat so much? i havent had to reformat my computer for years now.

And by the way, i'm also getting very tired of people trying to "help" or tell ED what to do over and over again, the same thing, and it's not even my product or anything so imagine how they must feel. (although of course i cant speak for ED in any case, this is just my speculation)

What kind of hardware changes require you to reformat so much? i havent had to reformat my computer for years now.

Its not just hardware, its about cleaning up the computer good. I use my computer HARD and a complete format from time to time is a very good thing. It makes sure you get all crap out of the system and also gain back all its power. I create, use and abuse my computer a lot. Defragging and anti virus progs does a good job, but not perfect. A complete blast is the only perfect cure. And its needed if you work with your computer to the max every single day.

And it is MY computer, so nothing should dictate when or why i format it, especially since i baught everything that is in and around it. I think ED's decision will be good though, i have no fear on that. Its all good. :)

Regards

Alex

• Like 1

Regards

Alex "Snuffer" D.

AMD FX8350 (8 core) 4.1GHZ ::: 8GB Dominator 1600mhz ::: GTX660 2GB ::: 2xHD ::: 24" ASUS

And its needed if you work with your computer to the max every single day.

I have a 128 CPU core machine working to the MAX every day, without so much as a reboot for a very, very long time, let alone any sort of reformat ;)

Kidding aside (because they're different machines for different purposes, obviously) ... seriously, WTF do you do that degrades the system so much? :) I haven't needed to reformat my personal PC for years - it works about as well as it did on day one.

And it is MY computer, so nothing should dictate when or why i format it, especially since i baught everything that is in and around it. I think ED's decision will be good though, i have no fear on that. Its all good.

That's quite right :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well dear GG, its all the install, uninstall, download, upload that degrades my small HD. Im doing it a lot since i create a lot on it, and my HD is 80GB atm, so it gets full all the time and defrag progs cant handle it after a while so it looks like crap even though i defrag after installs/uninstalls. Also not long ago some virus snuck into my system and nothing could kill it - except *drumroll* a format. :) And when a computer is blasted, you really feel that it gets its power back! And that is really needed on this crappy piece of electronics.

To be honest though, maybe it isnt needed all the time, but i usually do it once or twice a year. At least on this work hog. Im getting a brand new super duper machine for BS/ArmA2, and that one ill keep nice and tidy for the entertainment purpose only, and ill keep on abusing and formatting this one. :D

Regards

Alex

Regards

Alex "Snuffer" D.

AMD FX8350 (8 core) 4.1GHZ ::: 8GB Dominator 1600mhz ::: GTX660 2GB ::: 2xHD ::: 24" ASUS

My computer has been on 24/7 since the day i got it and it still runs nicely, i use my computer for everything, from programing and studying to playing games and other various forms of entertainment and i also download and upload alot, not to mention i overclock.

I believe one of the most important reason for those players have illegally dl Bs is ED didnt release the product properly. Like the western and Russian versions dont get released at the same time, and the Russian version can not be purchased outside CIS.

I can see a lot of ppl around me have already played BS illegally these days. I believe the fact of this is from ED itself by some reason.

However, I will definitely wait for Demo and get a western product in next yr, although i can see so many ppl have already started enjoying BS(they are Russian Players and those dl the product illegally)

After what just happened to DCS: BS, even this (moi) non-genius knows company that sells CP is no better than the pirate themselves. But ED will continue to do what they have been doing because of their --

My take away from that video is that I wonder just how much piracy really does hurt a very niche product like DCS. In truth, I'm beginning to wonder how much it really hurts ALL software developers. I'm beginning to wonder if all those measures out there against it are really protections againsts loss of income or just stubbornness and refusal to see reality on the grounds of some meaningless concept of "legality" that will stop piracy about as well as the surgeon general's warning stops cigarette smokers.

I don't agree with the heavy handed policy around here, but I can understand. I'm buying BS as soon as it comes out.

I can't afford to but if I could, I would send the power that be at ED that yellow book by Matt Mason now! :D

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

It certainly raises questions if a torrent of Black Shark were to be made, didn't this happen once before and wasn't the people responsible working for SF?(try checking the IPs of the offenders where were they from I wonder:music_whistling:)

On March 5, 2006, a Protection Technology employee posted a link to a torrent search engine for the results of the search for Galactic Civilizations 2, a game developed by StarDock which does not use mandatory copy prevention, as a demonstration of what a lack of prevention can lead to. StarForce later issued an apology for this act after it received a great deal of attention on the Internet.

Piracy is a worldwide problem not just a western one, there is just as much piracy in Russia as anywhere else so it makes no difference weather BS is released online worldwide or only too Russia as the program could just as easily be distributed into the west via the internet or airmail. At least now days it ain't as bad as it used to be where games where cracked and distributed online before they even reached the stores.

The real answer is just get on with the job and release the sim regardless of any torrents etc. If each disc or download requires a key then official patches can verify that the software isn't pirated such as what MS uses. Thats one way around it and such a case a pirate would miss out on the official patches and be left behind as online players would all require the same patch to play online. Another way to fix it is subscription which ensures a steady flow of income as long as you're providing a quality product people will continue to pay. I might not be a fan of SF but I'll certainly be up for a Black Shark CD when its released.:thumbup:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

You should be able to activate by phone; and I believe there might be an option for de-activating and then re-activating your install to deal with upgrades, but I don't know what is being done for the western release.

OK, but what happens if the company behind that phone/server goes under? It has been brought up in the thread a few times, but I have still not seen any reassuring answer. I hope they have some plan in this case (e.g. like releasing a patch which removes protection).

Besides, I think SUBS17 has a point. The first release might get cracked, but with further patches and modifications to the original exe, the crack will not work anymore. And this is a niche product so I doubt it will be in the pirates spotlight for long. Maybe the online activation could be replaced with a DVD check only after some time?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

ED are going to do what they think is right for their particular case. The only thing we can do is accept it or move on. I wish they wouldn't use it but to me it is not the end of the world. If you worry that in ten years your 50 dollar entertainment software might not work because ED went t!ts up then you need to be spanked by a woman immediately.

• Like 1

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

If you worry that in ten years your 50 dollar entertainment software might not work because ED went t!ts up then you need to be spanked by a woman immediately.

Rofl Leafer, thanks a bunch, was reading that with a mouthful of coffee which is now laminating my monitor.:megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.dfa-squadron.co.uk

My rig:Intel i5 2500K @4.5Ghz ,ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe,MSI 1080 GTX Gaming X edition,16gig Cosair DDR3 2400Mhz RAM, Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog/Saitek pro pedals,TrackIR4

This is lamme!

The best militar flight simulator we have.. and those hackers ruining their job. Can't imagine how ED guys are feeling right now..

Still... their job just begun. They can change the code with patches and add-ons, in a way that only who have the last patch can install new features.

Wondering how come FC hold for so long without being cracked...

Also.. IMHO releasing the demo ASAP is the best you guys can do right now.. so we can hold and buy as soon as BS is available.

:noexpression:

Edit: not everything is negative. This will increase Black Shark popularity... :huh:

Edited by Cyb0rg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asteroids

Update this

:D

If you worry that in ten years your 50 dollar entertainment software might not work because ED went t!ts up then you need to be spanked by a woman immediately.

Look, you may not care, but I do and it's none of your business. Simulators like this are not really coming of the track..

And where did you come up with the 10 year figure? Oh, yes. Silly me. Today's financial market is so stable that it's impossible that some companies go under in the near future, especially in the niche games industry..

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

This is lamme!

The best militar flight simulator we have.. and those hackers ruining their job. Can't imagine how ED guys are feeling right now..

Still... their job just begun. They can change the code with patches and add-ons, in a way that only who have the last patch can install new features.

Wondering how come FC hold for so long without being cracked...

Also.. IMHO releasing the demo ASAP is the best you guys can do right now.. so we can hold and buy as soon as BS is available.

:noexpression:

Edit: not everything is negative. This will increase Black Shark popularity... :huh:

I think its highly unlikely anyone has managed to crack Black Shark, its one thing to make a torrent but to crack it would be quite difficult.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

While I do find this hilarious ( :megalol: ), there is nothing unreasonable about wanting something you purchased to still work 10 years from now. I discussed this in a PM with washout. I still have my original copy of Half Life, 10 years after I bought it, and I can install it on any machine I wish with zero limitations.

Think about it...how old is LOMAC/FC? The 10 year mark isn't so far away, and we are STILL playing it!! Food for thought.

Now excuse me while I go ask my wife to spank me...

Think about it...how old is LOMAC/FC? The 10 year mark isn't so far away, and we are STILL playing it!! Food for thought.

Well, Falcon 4.0 is few months from being 10 years old. Now, imagine Microprose had an online activation system.. how long would it have lasted? :)

Hi I think you, ED, are mistaken. You must assume that there is people who buy games and another people who don't. Make the things confortable for the people who will buy the game. Pirate will not buy the game, there is nothing you can do. There is not any protection system unbreakable. And your decision is to attack to the legal users with a draconian protection system. Bad decision, I think, and that's bad for all of us. I will buy the sim anyway, but probably some people will prefer to install the pirated version which has not activations limits. Do you think that your measures will increase your sales?. Really?. Take Stardock as an example. They sold a lot Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations 2. Those games has not ANY copy protection system. As I have said, there is people who buy games and does not care they could pirate it. They buy because they like it. And I'm sure that most people of this forum likes BS and Will buy it. Now, there is a pirated copy and many people did not wait until february. But most probably they will buy the game then. Also, you could use Steam, you can't pirate Steam. But, it's your decision. Mine is to buy the game when it be released in Europe.

Hi I think you, ED, are mistaken. You must assume that there is people who buy games and another people who don't. Make the things confortable for the people who will buy the game. Pirate will not buy the game, there is nothing you can do. There is not any protection system unbreakable. And your decision is to attack to the legal users with a draconian protection system. Bad decision, I think, and that's bad for all of us. I will buy the sim anyway, but probably some people will prefer to install the pirated version which has not activations limits. Do you think that your measures will increase your sales?. Really?. Take Stardock as an example. They sold a lot Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations 2. Those games has not ANY copy protection system. As I have said, there is people who buy games and does not care they could pirate it. They buy because they like it. And I'm sure that most people of this forum likes BS and Will buy it. Now, there is a pirated copy and many people did not wait until february. But most probably they will buy the game then. Also, you could use Steam, you can't pirate Steam. But, it's your decision. Mine is to buy the game when it be released in Europe.

:thumbup: +1

1 post but a good one

ED/TFC is afraid of something thats not there... and "saying" that a small fraction of the community are "thieves". I have news for ya - Nobody else (outside this community) likes this game and NOBODY else outside this community is going to buy this game. We are few and chosen.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p