An Open Letter to the Community

EvilBivol-1

Not being rude....but what is the point of the demo?

You obviously have to put a lot of resources into the demo to get it working, debugged, distributed etc.

We are going to buy the game no matter what we think of the demo. The demo may be full of bugs (remember lockon) in which case we will buy the game because obviously the game could not be released in the state the demo was in, or, the demo is a belter and we love, so we buy the game.....I just think it's a waste of time.

The flight sim community is tiny in comparison to other communities. We will buy the game no matter what state it is as this is the first of its kind for a very long time. I doubt Joe Bloggs off the street is gonna come across a demo of a game he has not heard of and think , this looks cool, I think I will buy it.

Edit...Maybe I answer my own question. Maybe it is fairly easy to do a demo and will just give us a taster of what the full game has to offer, just a bloomin teasing us then I guess!!!

Well the delay of the western release mostly due to the legal distribution methods in the western countries.

And I don't really think that the programmers doing the Demo are responsible for the localisation either ;).

When you look at the posts by Wags you get a clear picture of whom is the targeted audience of the demo.

Their will to even speed up the Demo release to compensate for the late western release shows that they do care about the community and want to give us something to play with for the time being.

And that's not something you can take for granted in the sim world.

In fact I want to thank ED and the community representatives very much for the dedication and top notch effort they are showing. :)

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt Joe Bloggs off the street is gonna come across a demo of a game he has not heard of and think , this looks cool, I think I will buy it.

It all depends on proper marketing. And of course the point of a demo is not to convince those who have already been convinced, i.e. "hardcore" simmers. It is targeted at people who are not sure if they want to buy a game, and, as you said in your edit, want to see if the gameplay suits their preferences or not. Plus you can check if your hardware is sufficient to run it. Usually customers should have the possibility to test a product before they buy it.

And don't forget that DCS is not only targeted at hardcore simmers, but also more casual gamers that would enjoy games à la Ace Combat etc., and Sim newbies. So even if the flight sim community might be small (which I doubt actually, see FS series + add-on market for example), the possible market could be larger than just that community. New people might be attracted by the more arcade side of DCS, and if scalability and training tools are good, a lot will eventually end up delving into the intricacies of the simulation mode. But these people have to be convinced at first. That's why I hope the demo will include at least a part of the casual mode and the training section, as people who have tasted blood once will probably want more and more. ;)

I support ED/DCS for what they are doing.It's there product ! IMHO I think the west getting it is a blessing. They could have easily not released it to the west. I will wait like all others for a legal copy.Thanks ED/DCS for the open letter.

As often happens in an information vacuum, wild and unfounded speculation breeds accusations and unnecessary emotions. Allow us to clarify some of what has happened over the past week.

Thx EB for clarifycation.. dosent make w8ing easier but could perhaps make ppl understand why things are unfolding as they are! :(

It takes a fool to remain sane :huh:

WOW alot has hapend since my last login. DCS sorry to here about your prolbems I hope this does not delay the western version verry long. I realy dislike people that do such things.

I am happy to here that you will push the demo out sooner. And cant wait to play around with it.

My best to all the legit simers out their. and Booo to you know who:mad:

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

I dont see the issue with ED requiring the DVD to be activated to secure there IP, i personally reinstall my OS every few months for either hardware updates or just to start a fresh due to clutter which in turn requires activation.

One click with the mouse and its activated, problem solved it will be the same with Blackshark.

People are making the DVD activation sound like a couple of large KGB agents will turn up at your house get out the thumb screws and demand that you give them your serial number for clarification or else! :lol:

Anyway just my two rubles.

Edited by Washout

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.dfa-squadron.co.uk

My rig:Intel i5 2500K @4.5Ghz ,ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe,MSI 1080 GTX Gaming X edition,16gig Cosair DDR3 2400Mhz RAM, Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog/Saitek pro pedals,TrackIR4

The KGB is going to come to my house? Oh boy hope its this KGB (http://www.kgbflat.com/v2/)and not the soviet intelligence agency! If the former comes I havent been riding enough or I havent bought a new frame from them yet!

I'm cool with waiting, especially a top notch product like this is sure to be. I wont bug DCS or steal their work, just patiently wait.

Well thats pirates... they can hack pretty much anything even Securom with online activation, and latest starforce...

About pirated copy, actual game didn't get hacked(game files not even touched), its the starforce that got hacked. So any game with same version is compromised... :mad:

I think ED has the right to be pissed off, since they paid money to 1C so they can protect the game and they failed. Before game was even released pirates were already confident they could play it as soon as they download it.

Edited by ObvilionLost

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5472_1.gif[/sIGPIC]:joystick:

Win 10 | i5-6600K | 16GB DDR4 RAM | MSI Radeon RX480 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek X52

Zeus Gaming Community

Well without online registration there is no save copy protection. The only thing you can do is bind the game to a certain hardware profile and register that in your own database, which is exactly what they will do now.

I mean when westerners have a problem with mandatory online activation the picture won't be any different for Russia, if it's not worse there because of more sparse internet availability.

I don't think 1C could hope to sell a lot of copies when they included the online activation.

Edited by Dvst

Well without online registration there is no save copy protection. The only thing you can do is bind the game to a certain hardware profile and register that in your own database, which is exactly what they will do now.

I mean when westerners have a problem with mandatory online activation the picture won't be any different for Russia, if it's not worse there because of more sparse internet availability.

I don't think 1C could hope to sell a lot of copies when they included the online activation.

If they gonna use online activation, definatley starforce is not the

way to go... Well there is one way which would make game unhackable, it's by using USB key. Steel beasts Pro PE has it, and still no pirated copies for few years already. But the downside is, it is expensive and could make the game cost 100+ dollars.

Edited by ObvilionLost

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5472_1.gif[/sIGPIC]:joystick:

Win 10 | i5-6600K | 16GB DDR4 RAM | MSI Radeon RX480 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek X52

Zeus Gaming Community

The CP has been already chosen, it isn't going to change, and you all know that talking about it just degenerates into a flame fest - so please, cut it out.

I would prefer to not see this thread closed. Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

As far as I'm concerned, everything that needed to be said was in the first post; all reply's thereafter should be deleted and the 'Open Letter to the Community' should be stickied...

Once again, thank you ED and associates for looking after the best interest of Black Shark, and by extension, the real community!

I will say that I don't like Star Force. But since the demise of North American Flight Combat producers like Microprose and such. We are reliant on 1C an ED to produce quality Combat Flight Sims. I will always support anyone who makes an attempt to keep this Genre alive. looking forward to flying the KA-50 and others in the DCS series.

S!

Boxer. !!!!

What I would really like to see someone do is put a EULA on a game such that cracking the game (and installing it) would actually be profitable to the company. For example: write in the EULA that if you agree you have obtained the product legally, and if not you will pay the full development cost of the game. Then if you catch just a few of those people, and bankrupt them, no one will ever pirate your game, it is way too dangerous. And the company would make far more off pirated copies then legal ones. Is this legal or possible? Probably not. But I would really like to see something like that happen, there is no reason a few people should be able to ruin something that benefits so many.

The copy protection means very little to me. I mean if registering the game to play it meant I had to let Eagle Dynamics kill my dog, I would probably allow it. Okay that is a bit extreme, but you get the point. I've been waiting way to long to just say "forget it" to Black Shark now, because of the copy protection. In most cases I would care, but not for this.

Well there is one way which would make game unhackable, it's by using USB key. ...

offtopic:

Hardware keys are exactly as crackable as any other protection.. They only add to the hassle.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

It all depends on proper marketing. And of course the point of a demo is not to convince those who have already been convinced, i.e. "hardcore" simmers. It is targeted at people who are not sure if they want to buy a game, and, as you said in your edit, want to see if the gameplay suits their preferences or not. Plus you can check if your hardware is sufficient to run it. Usually customers should have the possibility to test a product before they buy it.

And don't forget that DCS is not only targeted at hardcore simmers, but also more casual gamers that would enjoy games à la Ace Combat etc., and Sim newbies. So even if the flight sim community might be small (which I doubt actually, see FS series + add-on market for example), the possible market could be larger than just that community. New people might be attracted by the more arcade side of DCS, and if scalability and training tools are good, a lot will eventually end up delving into the intricacies of the simulation mode. But these people have to be convinced at first. That's why I hope the demo will include at least a part of the casual mode and the training section, as people who have tasted blood once will probably want more and more. ;)

VG points from you and DVST!

Tahnks sir for a well informed and well written post.

I believe that most of the community members are patient, and do understand the position of ED/DC in this matter. It is just a few member who are impatient, and worst than babies in this matter.

I apperciate that you and developers/testers/moderators take their time and tr their best to answer the questions.

About pirates: Well, I'd like to shove an umbrella in their tailpiple, and click it open

Edited by muamshai

This space is available for your advertisement

My opinion is that ED is losing resources by implementing costly (to buy and support) protection methods (no matter the name of the protection system!!) and working to a Demo.

ED should steam ahead to finish the full western version and release it in a way it will bring most money and be less costly to do it. Steam, as it was previously suggested, is a good option. I don't know if is posible due to ED-1C contract though...

Although I understand the reaction of ED to recent events I think is an unappropiate one. Developing "paranoia" instead of rethinking the position and adapting to enviroment can be bad bussiness. Banning, threatening it's custommers or forum members (if they speak about this or that) is looking more like a religion than a bussiness... but, hey, bussiness is a religion in a sense :).

I would like to recommend you to see this book presentation movie on Googlevideo, is a presentation made in a quite select audience and not what the title would make you think to in a quick draw.

The Pirate's dilema on googlevideo presentation

and you can get the book (at what price you want, realy) from here:

http://thepiratesdilemma.com/download-the-book

I hope ED have the time to see/read this and think about it... maybe future products would have less costs, less customer problems and beter income.

A big salute to you all!

... just in case. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

ED shouldn´t be afraid, if the product is good gamers pay for it.

No matter if the game hasn´t got a copy protection hard, look "Heroes of Might and Magic V" you can download cracked, but look sales, one of the more sold.

Also, i know people that have the cracked version of BS, but in the moment that they can buy, they will buy twice!! and it´s true!!

ED should be afraid, because, they still continue with Starforce, and i know many many people that if BS is protected with him, they would NOT buy BS, and it´s a pity.

There are alternatives to Starforce, but they don´t want.

In the end, the legal user is ****ed, and the pirate not, a pity.

Please ED think it again, if you do the same with DVD, i will be another guy that don´t buy.

Greetings

P.D. A good box edition, with maps, manuals, a figure, cartography of zone, will help too.

Edited by Rikus

Fellas, PLEASE, GGTharos already asked you to stop the debate about SF and copy protection. The topic has been beaten to death and everybody knows the pros and cons, first of all ED, restating them over and over again is not going to help anybody. Please use other fourms if you really want to continue that discussion. And I would also like to remind you of forum rule no. 1.10:

...Additionally, to bring up a particular issue repeatedly after it has already been acknowledged will be considered "trolling" - in such cases a warning will be issued to the author and the post will be removed.

http://forums.eagle.ru/rules.php#en

Please don't push it! Thank you! :)

Edited by Acedy