Engine shuts down in cold start (only on few MP servers)

skywalker22

I know (at least I think) how to perform a cold start on F-16. So, offline always all fine, online it happened few times in last few days, it just didn`t wanna start. When engine reached 60%, it just shut off. Tried everything I know, with pump Start 1 and Start 2 knobs, but it didn`t make any difference. There must be some trick to start it, some different procedure or something.

Check it out:

14 minutes ago, ice41 said:

Not certain if it is the cause here.

But why is ELEC only on BATT and not MAIN PWR?

Also tried on main power, but result is the same. Although usually I put on Main Power afterwards when engine settles down at 65% and TIT at around 400C.

7 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Also tried on main power, but result is the same. Although usually I put on Main Power afterwards when engine settles down at 65% and TIT at around 400C.

I managed to reproduce something that looks the same if my jet started with 0% fuel.

Do you know for sure that there was fuel in the jet?

Edit: looks like SteelFalcon beat me to it

Edited by ice41
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, _SteelFalcon_ said:

Looks like buddyspike. Afaik you spawn with 0% fuel there, so make sure to talk to the ground crew when the battery is on and request refuel before you crank the engine

Hmmm, Im sure thats the reason why it didn't wanna start. Thanks mate 😉👍

• Like 1

The fuel sensing system requires certain electrical power and I don't know if that is on before the engine is running. If you use ground power you do get the low fuel indications.

Realistically there is some unusable fuel in the system which is usable. The unusable fuel figure is calculated for an aircraft fuel tank in "the most adverse fuel feed condition occurring under each intended operation and flight maneuver involving that tank", at least for FAA certified airplanes which the F-16 might not be. It is perfectly reasonable for fuel state 0 to have some fuel on board. The JFS has access to fuel directly (even with master to engine off) and probably can run under fuel conditions the engine itself can't.

If 0 fuel state corresponds to not a single drop of JP8 in the airplane then the JFS light probably should not illuminate as that only happens in the normal working RPM range. I think that requires fuel. The FTIT during start rises to over 800C which is simply not possible unless fuel is present. If the start process is "canned" in the simulation and doesn't check fuel until the process is over then that would be a limitation of the simulation. Otherwise it could be modeling some quantity of fuel available for JFS and engine operation even though the editor value is 0.

What I'm curious to test if is running the JFS burns fuel. It should.

EDIT: From test JFS is not burning fuel.

Edited by Frederf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team
36 minutes ago, Frederf said:

What I'm curious to test if is running the JFS burns fuel. It should.

EDIT: From test JFS is not burning fuel.

this is known.

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2