Hump in middle of Tinian North Field

Nealius

Unload camera coordinates command does not work. Nothing is saved to my clipboard. Location of the hump is along the central road that passes perpendicular through the middle of the runways. 

North Field is known to be used for STOL exercises present day, and should be relatively flat. this topographic map shows it should have a gentle incline on the east end. No hump is shown. 

Summit of the hump looking west. Note the decline. 

AavwJR2.png

Summit of the hump looking east. Note the decline on this side too.

IvwUpY0.png

Hump visible from distance on runways Able and Baker.

E2XMRui.png

Present-day picture of runway Able, showing it to be mostly flat, and with significantly fewer trees.

800px-Runway_Able,_North_Field_(Tinian),

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

Here's a camera position for you, I've tried my best to line it up with the screenshots you posted

Here's the one looking to the west: -camera 175.187876 0.043040 92.087912 -cameradir 0.006132 0.034124 -0.999399

And here's the one looking to the east: -camera 175.187876 0.043040 92.087912 -cameradir -0.044981 0.006807 0.998965

I'm noticing that these issues keep cropping up, there seem to be a lot of areas on the Marianas islands where the geometry is just off, and it's typically areas that should be flat IRL being much more hilly.

As for the trees, you're right, it should mostly just be undergrowth (though fairly dense by the looks of it).

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

It looks like Guam's Northwest Field is experiencing some terrain issues as well, though it appears flat. The abandoned runways are still used for STOL exercises present-day, but trying to land something there and you get thrown around and flipped over. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 5:11 AM, Nealius said:

It looks like Guam's Northwest Field is experiencing some terrain issues as well, though it appears flat. The abandoned runways are still used for STOL exercises present-day, but trying to land something there and you get thrown around and flipped over. 

There's plenty of issues with the geometry all over the place if I'm honest and it's on all of the major islands.

If you follow the main road from around Apra harbour and follow it east, you see a load of bumps and some really rather alarming geometry (with roads with 60-80° inclines and bridges that in some cases, even the Caucasus map honestly does better on).

But all of the islands have issues with their geometry, namely roads that are nearly vertical, and areas being much more hilly and precarious than they actually are, and sometimes the geometry is just plain wrong, with varying levels of severity.

With me, my main gripe is placing things like SAM systems down - before the Marianas map released, I had gone over in Google Earth, C:MANO as well as some topographic mapping sites such as this one, such that I could find ample areas for SAM sites, FOBs, RADAR sites, etc, only to find that in DCS, the geometry is completely unsuitable and the foilage much too tall.

Personally, I think there should be a stickied geometry errors thread where users can post screenshots of geometric issues they come across, attaching camera positions, locations and supporting evidence.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 months later...

I hadn't tried to take off from them yet. Now that I did, I agree this looks a bit like a motocross ride. 😄

I'm doing a check with available raster data, compared to those from the game.

Tinian_NorthField_runway_1.trk Tinian_NorthField_runway_2.trk Tinian_NorthField_runway_3.trk

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the hump has been removed, but the runway has been made perfectly flat with a constant elevation of 30 m/98 ft.

The real place increases in elevation from west to east, being about 23 m at the western extremity and 41 m at the eastern extremity.

System:

• 2 weeks later...