Virpil collective base plus - had to increase friction after 2 weeks use

sirrah

I have had my Collective now for 3 months. I use it every day. I am retired so I use it a lot I have a wonderful wife lol. I am not having any issue with it. It still works like new out of the box. Other people say they had loss of friction after two weeks of use. I am not complaining just keep thinking to myself When I do - how will I deal with it? One thing I make sure I do not do from day one, I make sure I never pull it collective rod horizontally towards me when moving it. I am SURE everyone does this because the way it is mounted it just can't be a big issue. It is not for me at all.

After Mounting a Damper to my MFG Crosswind Pedals I like this Idea best. Question is How would this get done using off the shelf Products and only maybe drilling some new holes or simple mods to get the job done. If you have done this point me to pictures of it. I would like to see the magic you make. 

I mounted my Collective to my chair with a custom "off the Virpil shelf" goods it's on/off smooth and easy.

GOPR0172.JPG

A1.jpg

On 10/24/2022 at 3:41 PM, DishDoggie said:

I have had my Collective now for 3 months. I use it every day. I am retired so I use it a lot I have a wonderful wife lol. I am not having any issue with it. It still works like new out of the box. Other people say they had loss of friction after two weeks of use. I am not complaining just keep thinking to myself When I do - how will I deal with it? One thing I make sure I do not do from day one, I make sure I never pull it collective rod horizontally towards me when moving it. I am SURE everyone does this because the way it is mounted it just can't be a big issue. It is not for me at all.

After Mounting a Damper to my MFG Crosswind Pedals I like this Idea best. Question is How would this get done using off the shelf Products and only maybe drilling some new holes or simple mods to get the job done. If you have done this point me to pictures of it. I would like to see the magic you make. 

I mounted my Collective to my chair with a custom "off the Virpil shelf" goods it's on/off smooth and easy.

GOPR0172.JPG

A1.jpg

Have a look at -Dagger-'s post above. That was a very clean way of adding a damper with only a little bit of fabrication.

I think the issue with the friction clutch loosening may be vibration based. I have a couple of big speakers and a servo woofer mounted to my cockpit frame and you definitely feel it through the frame. Some people have swapped the nuts for nylocs and reported the problem solved. The loosening is only half of the problem though, the other problem is that the clutch makes small adjustments more difficult. If you have the space to the rear I'd definitely recommend a counterweight over a damper, having tried both.

Edited by Scott-S6
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Scott-S6 said:

Have a look at -Dagger-'s post above. That was a very clean way of adding a damper with only a little bit of fabrication.

I think the issue with the friction clutch loosening may be vibration based. I have a couple of big speakers and a servo woofer mounted to my cockpit frame and you definitely feel it through the frame. Some people have swapped the nuts for nylocs and reported the problem solved. The loosening is only half of the problem though, the other problem is that the clutch makes small adjustments more difficult. If you have the space to the rear I'd definitely recommend a counterweight over a damper, having tried both.

Absolute. My biggest - and only - complaint with my Virpil Rotor was what was mentioned above, the difference in force required to raise versus lower the collective. I added the following counterweight Mod. It was very quick and easy to mount. I am not much on taking to modding hardware but this one was very quick and easy as everything was done for me, only needed to mount the plate along with the counterweights. No muss no fuss.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1274557026/counterweight-system-for-virpil?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-electronics_and_accessories-video_games&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAjw2OiaBhBSEiwAh2ZSP4M8JsuqZmuHwf1TmPqx-XPBVD568UfAUEW5fL82bvskauQjC1pKNRoCFskQAvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_1843970779_69216056345_346429262066_aud-318222619806:pla-353987697789_c__1274557026_12768591&utm_custom2=1843970779&gclid=CjwKCAjw2OiaBhBSEiwAh2ZSP4M8JsuqZmuHwf1TmPqx-XPBVD568UfAUEW5fL82bvskauQjC1pKNRoCFskQAvD_BwE

While I have not got to use it that much due to other reasons it feels really nice in movement now and the force to raise and lower the collective is now about equal. 

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|