The sound of two Merlins ...

Terry Dactil

50 minutes ago, grafspee said:

I choose perfect fly model over sounds of the engine/prop every day.

Why can't we have both? 

As always I'm sure BTD has done an amazing job. He is open to improvements as well so if we find something I'm sure he will be willing to implement. 

I hope we have the option to have realistic props (ie we have to sync them otherwise we get the constant droaning). 

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

Yes, but if the sounds are poor it doesn’t even get used…

There is a certain driving franchise the marketed on being the driving simulator, but all the vehicles sounded so similar it ruined the immersion - especially if you had driven some of the models in the sim.  That franchise has improved sounds👍

For Flight Sims sound is vital to immersion, and especially for piston engined aircraft where every cough and splutter is part of the aircraft’s “heartbeat” (as a boat helm my ear is tuned to any off-beat engine sounds, I’d imagine even more acute for a RL pilot)

FM is classic 80:20 rule - the last 20% is going to take an inordinate amount of effort and add very little additional user benefit… and if the last 20% perfection on FM is at the expense of something else, eg sounds, then the whole package is lacking

I expect  FM to be 100% not 80%, if not i'm out of here.

If sound is not right you can mod it in DCS, FM you can't edit.

@hazzer I only said that FM is always more important then sounds that's it. Why you assume that i exclude sounds being as good as FM at thew same time? i don't know

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Excellent video there Terry thanks for sharing.....it won't be long now and we'll all get our hands on this beautiful big bird,hope the DCS module will do justice to the twin Merlin 25's that we're apparently going to get with it.

Great stuff mate 👍

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

4 hours ago, grafspee said:

Good luck with that…

I respect the aspiration, but as a professional engineer, just can’t see how that would be practicable - or even beneficial to the sim experience…

I’d expect change of weight on weapons release or fuel transfer to be modelled in a sim of DCS’ calibre - what about cannon rounds weight change, or in a larger aircraft, crew moving station…

Is icing modelled?

How sophisticated are the links between FM and DM - fuel weight loss, component weight loss, loss of lift / control from damaged wings / control surfaces, increased drag ???

100% or you’re out … sure about that???

😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Good luck with that…

I respect the aspiration, but as a professional engineer, just can’t see how that would be practicable - or even beneficial to the sim experience…

I’d expect change of weight on weapons release or fuel transfer to be modelled in a sim of DCS’ calibre - what about cannon rounds weight change, or in a larger aircraft, crew moving station…

Is icing modelled?

How sophisticated are the links between FM and DM - fuel weight loss, component weight loss, loss of lift / control from damaged wings / control surfaces, increased drag ???

100% or you’re out … sure about that???

😉

It is very beneficial for sim.

Change of weight on weapon release fuel balance and weight lost in ammo is simulated.

I can feel that, when i fly with rear tank full in P-51 i can feel deference when i drop bombs so, i don't know what are you talking about.

Damage modeling is a different story and it is still very much VIP

But i will say it again i rather have near perfect FM then near perfect sounding.

Good thing is that sound engineer departament is independent and will not effect FM. 

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

7 hours ago, grafspee said:

How could ED ever achieve 100% accuracy on a flight model within the constraints of a flight sim?.

And even if they could how would we ever know if it indeed was 100% accurate ourselves without obtaining a PPL, twin engine rating, tail dragger rating, warbird conversion and then going out and buying a restored MKVI Mosquito and doing a direct comparison?....then finding out it ain't 100% accurate and asking ED for your $41.95 back as you're not happy with it! lol.  

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

33 minutes ago, bart said:

How could ED ever achieve 100% accuracy on a flight model within the constraints of a flight sim?.

And even if they could how would we ever know if it indeed was 100% accurate ourselves without obtaining a PPL, twin engine rating, tail dragger rating, warbird conversion and then going out and buying a restored MKVI Mosquito and doing a direct comparison?....then finding out it ain't 100% accurate and asking ED for your $41.95 back as you're not happy with it! lol.  

Comon stop  doing that, 100% = 100% what is possible.

I can say the same thing about sound, no reason to do it in your meaning of 100% because it is impossible, loudspeaker will never do same thing what engine or prop can do.

I say it again if i have to choose between better sound or better FM i will go with FM every time, but this is my opinion and no one will convince me otherwise. 

I didn't say that i want bad sound or good sound exclude good FM or anything like that.

80% FM for me mean that FM will ignore some of the phenomena like compressibility, tail buffeting due to open cowl flaps, trim behavior, stick forces etc.

100% FM = is accurate as could be with available data.

Edited by grafspee

14 minutes ago, grafspee said:

I say it again if i have to choose between better sound or better FM i will go with FM every time

Ok mate.....we all got that....don't feel you need to say it again though eh,Lol 😉

Btw....100% FM expected,or your out of here.....that's a bit drastic ain't it ?

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, Basco1 said:

Ok mate.....we all got that....don't feel you need to say it again though eh,Lol 😉

Btw....100% FM expected,or your out of here.....that's a bit drastic ain't it ?

No at all 🙂 ED says the top notch FM at description of the plane then i take word for it 🙂

• Flight Dynamics based on official reports, our own CFD research and pilot feedback

This for is 100% FM for me.

Edited by grafspee

DCS sound design is simply the best out of all flight simulators out there. It's one of the main reasons I love DCS.

I've been flying the IL2 BoX since it introduced VR support in 2017. Then I gave the DCS a try about 6-7 months ago and now IL2 to me sounds like some arcade toy.

The sound directionality in DCS is spot on. The sound variation due to changing airpressue is amazing. There's a lot of engine detail in the sound and it's also very dynamic. I was watching a replay of my A8 mission from the ground level and after hearing the delayed sound of cannons I had a stupid grin on my face from how awesome it was.

The twin-engine Mosquito will surely move the plank even higher.

2 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

DCS sound design is simply the best out of all flight simulators out there. It's one of the main reasons I love DCS.

I've been flying the IL2 BoX since it introduced VR support in 2017. Then I gave the DCS a try about 6-7 months ago and now IL2 to me sounds like some arcade toy.

The sound directionality in DCS is spot on. The sound variation due to changing airpressue is amazing. There's a lot of engine detail in the sound and it's also very dynamic. I was watching a replay of my A8 mission from the ground level and after hearing the delayed sound of cannons I had a stupid grin on my face from how awesome it was.

The twin-engine Mosquito will surely move the plank even higher.

Yes, current sounds are really good. It's not always been like that..couple of years ago most of the warbirds had very dull sounds in dcs too. Fortunately that is changed totally and updates to sounds and graphics have truely transformed dcs from mediocore to the best in those areas.

Edited by DB 605
  • Like 2

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]