Gear Alternate Release Reset Control in wrong position

TheCamper

Hello Guys, I notice that switch was in wrong position, this need to be in Reset Position in normal cases but when I put the airplane cold in a ramp, hot on park or in flight this switch appears in OFF position (down), I have to lost my nose weel steering when this switch is in off postion.

In time: when I release the Alternate Release handle, this switch don't change it position.

Notes: English is not my native language.

Ref:

DCS F-5E-3 Flight Manual, pages 101-102

T.O 1F-5E-1, 1980_OCR, pages 1-67, 1-68 and 1-69

Screen_211015_233009.png

Alternate.png

DCS.png

TO.png

Edited by TheCamper
New infos
  • Thanks 1

[DCS: F-5E BRASIL]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure what you mean. I have mapped the nose wheel steering button to a button on my stick. To steer I press and hold it. It's not like the F-16 or others, where you press and release to activate.
Apologies if I misunderstand what you mean.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Not sure what you mean. I have mapped the nose wheel steering button to a button on my stick. To steer I press and hold it. It's not like the F-16 or others, where you press and release to activate.
Apologies if I misunderstand what you mean. emoji4.png

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Hello, I was saying that switch is not working in right way, Gear Alternate Release Reset Control must be in Reset position, in OFF position I should didn't have nose wheel steering.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reading that manual, the position of the handle is correct in most cases. In normal operation it should be in the off position "- No function". When the alternate release handle is used there should be no nosewheel steering until the switch is raised into the reset position. (And the plane has functioning hydraulics again obviously). It's most likely a spring loaded switch since it's purpose to re-enable whatever hydraulic bypass is activated to release the up-locks. 

Basically, it should always be off unless you've used the emergency gear release and need to restore your nosewheel steering. That's generally what reset means anyway, you would not expect a switch to ever be in a "reset" position by default. 

6 hours ago, Golo said:

I agree, I can use NWS just fine with that switch in OFF position. It just for reset after using LG alternate release.

Hello, when I use the Alternate release handle to put my gear down, this switch don't change it posistion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

7 hours ago, TheCamper said:

Hello, when I use the Alternate release handle to put my gear down, this switch don't change it posistion.

Its not automatic switch, after landing using LG alternate release you can not operate NWS. You have to put that switch into reset position yourself and you will be able to use NWS again, if you have utility hydraulic pressure available. Then put it back to OFF after.

I found that its not an instant reset witch, in my case I had to wait couple seconds for it to restore NWS with running engines.

Edited by Golo

On 10/22/2021 at 7:24 AM, Golo said:

Its not automatic switch, after landing using LG alternate release you can not operate NWS. You have to put that switch into reset position yourself and you will be able to use NWS again, if you have utility hydraulic pressure available. Then put it back to OFF after.

I found that its not an instant reset witch, in my case I had to wait couple seconds for it to restore NWS with running engines.

Hello man, The switch should always remain in the RESET position, and when I pull the alternate release the swich should go to the OFF position and cut the power to the steering, which isn't happening.

and when lowering the landing gear by the alternate the alternate release reset switch is not going to OFF.

The definition given in T.O 1F-5E-2-20-7 is:

The alternate release system is a cable-operated system providing a method of extending the landing gears should the normal extension system fail. The system consists of a handle in the cockpit outboard of the left vertical control panel and a system of cable controls connected to the nose gear and nose gear forward door overcenter mechanisms, the main gear inboard door locks, and main gear uplocks. Initial movement of the alternate release cable actuates a microswitch in the alternate release control mechanism which removes electrical power from the landing gear selector valve and sequencing system. Pulling the handle out its full travel (9.5 ±0.5 inches) releases the main gear inboard door locks, the main gear uplocks, nose gear forward door, and nose gear from the overcenter position. Gear doors open and the landing gear extends to the down position, assisted by gravity, airloads, and a spring bungee at each landing gear strut. (Gear doors do not close after the gear is extended.) As each gear extends to its downlock position, the respective green indicator light on the gear control panel illuminates. Red warning lights in landing gear control handle remain on if landing gear handle is in up position when alternate release is actuated. If gear handle is in down position when alternate release is actuated, the red warning lights go out. After using the alternate release system to extend landing gear, control mechanism switches must be reset to restore electrical power to the landing gear system and hydraulic pressure to the nosewheel steering system. Switches may be reset by placing the release handle back in its socket and placing the gear control handle at LG DOWN and then at LG UP (setting alternate release reset control swicht to reset by landing gear lever). Gear position green indicator lights remain on, and red warning lights in gear control handle go out.

f5e.png

Edited by TheCamper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

I don't see anything that suggests it should be in the reset position all the time, rather it shouldn't be from what I can see. The reset is used to reset the gear when power and/or hydraulics is restored?

If it was always in the reset position, it sounds like you could be at risk of gear collapse if you had a problem and had to use the emergency/alternate release.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 5:23 PM, NineLine said:

I don't see anything that suggests it should be in the reset position all the time, rather it shouldn't be from what I can see. The reset is used to reset the gear when power and/or hydraulics is restored?

If it was always in the reset position, it sounds like you could be at risk of gear collapse if you had a problem and had to use the emergency/alternate release.

I send to you on your inbox

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Are you HOLDING down the NWS button to steer? It's not a toggle in the F-5. 

And no it should never stay in the Reset Position, the reset position is literally a mechanical reset. You pull it up and stuff goes clunk. Once it's reset it goes back to OFF when you let go. 

Or it SHOULD. 

Pulling the Gear Release does nothing to the switch. Pushing the Gear Release back in does NOTHING to the switch. After you push the gear release back in you reach down and plunk the switch to RESET then let it go back to OFF. 

• Like 1