Bugs in SHKVAL

Doggy

I have had this happen to me a couple of times on my X52 Pro.

I have the slew controls mapped using the built in profile editor to the throttle hat.

I have managed to correct this problem when it happens, by frantically pushing the hat around randomly for a couple of seconds and then letting go. It then stops doing it and I can resume normal operation.

I hope this works for others as a workaround.

Spanner in the works for you here.....

I get this continued tracking also but I use the keyboard to move the Shkval.

I find that this continued tracking orcurs when Im targetting civ traffic that moving along a road say from left to right @ 6Km. What happens is I target it, launch a missile, watch it explode then the Shkval continues to track where it should be before the target copped it.

Now if I try to move the shkval/retarget something else it keeps tracking in the direction the target was moving and it continues to do this until I enter Nav mode (backspace) ans then return to targeting mode (o).

~~~ Win7 64bit // i5 2500K @4.2Ghz // ASUS P8P67 Pro ~~~

~~~ H50 Cooler // 12GB 1600 DDR3 // EVGA GTX580 SC ~~~

~~~ TMW // Combat Pedals // TrackIR 4 ~~~

was a v quick post above as Im in work so apologies for all the spelling/grammer errors :)

~~~ Win7 64bit // i5 2500K @4.2Ghz // ASUS P8P67 Pro ~~~

~~~ H50 Cooler // 12GB 1600 DDR3 // EVGA GTX580 SC ~~~

~~~ TMW // Combat Pedals // TrackIR 4 ~~~

Once the hat is released it continues to move in some direction. If it reaches max point in that direction, starts moving in another way.

This is not sticky hat problem, because if it was, Shkval would not change direction after reaching max point.

It seems that you involuntary trigger SCAN mode (automatic movement of Shkval sensor to left and right). It is easy to trigger it: press Uncage Shkval once to get picture on TV, press the same button once again and SCAN mode will be activated. To stop it, you will need to move Shkval sensor manually or press uncage once again.

Maybe you are pressing buttons too much, or maybe you are using profile with complex keystrokes mapped to joystick buttons. Such keystrokes and macros can lead to strange behavior. Look for commands which contain the same button as Uncage one (even if it is LCTRL+something).

Edited by ZaltysZ

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

Well the same thing happens to me when i slew the skhval, but it sometimes happens when I use the keyboard slew keys. The scan mode moves the skhval at a constant speed and in horizontal plane (relative to the helicopter), but when the stated problem occurs the target designator can go horizontal, diagonal or any way, and also it accelerates like when you are using the slew buttons. I'm certain it is not the scanning mode because i cannot lock anything anymore when it starts moving. To me it doesn't happen often (once per 20+ flights) but when it happens i have to recover, change aircraft or something because it rarely stops by itself.

I noticed sometimes when it was pressed Shkval slew (;,./) or view slew (123456789) on numeric keyboard it freezes and turn all time until is pressed again same key.

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

some of my squad mates have had this bug as well and the thing they did to fix is was NOT having the slew skvall around in their profile for the stick and they had to do it in game to fix it. but in your case do you have a profile? so i'm not sure. maybe its double mapped?

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg

It seems that you involuntary trigger SCAN mode (automatic movement of Shkval sensor to left and right). It is easy to trigger it: press Uncage Shkval once to get picture on TV, press the same button once again and SCAN mode will be activated. To stop it, you will need to move Shkval sensor manually or press uncage once again.
Sounds like a good candidate. Can those of you who are reporting this as a bug do a test and see if pressing the Uncage/Designate (O) key twice will result in the behavior you are reporting? If so, it is not bug. You can test that it's really "SCAN" mode by switching the slew rates (right panel, below the autopilot lights).

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

EB, no chance it is it (in my case for sure). Once it starts only things you can do is either turn off the shkval or return to bore sight mode.

The automatic slew function behaves with no problem and absolutely in different manner.

In some cases I tried also to turn off and on the K-041 switch (now RTFM ;) ) to exclude possibility of any initiated function in the sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

C2D E4500@3GHz + Scythe Katana , 2GB/800, GF9600GT@720 (GV-NX96T512HP), Cyborg Evo, Freetrack (2.2), Samsung 20" @1680x1050, Fortron BSII 400W (peak 430W), Win7 HP x64

Well the same thing happens to me when i slew the skhval, but it sometimes happens when I use the keyboard slew keys. The scan mode moves the skhval at a constant speed and in horizontal plane (relative to the helicopter), but when the stated problem occurs the target designator can go horizontal, diagonal or any way, and also it accelerates like when you are using the slew buttons. I'm certain it is not the scanning mode because i cannot lock anything anymore when it starts moving. To me it doesn't happen often (once per 20+ flights) but when it happens i have to recover, change aircraft or something because it rarely stops by itself.

Actually, Arg0n has confirmed it is reproducible even with using just keyboard slew keys.

I didn't have chance to try it by myself as promised but I'm sure I will confirm the Arg0n "keyboard" experience

Also his description perfectly match my experience too

Arg0n, thanks for your post

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

C2D E4500@3GHz + Scythe Katana , 2GB/800, GF9600GT@720 (GV-NX96T512HP), Cyborg Evo, Freetrack (2.2), Samsung 20" @1680x1050, Fortron BSII 400W (peak 430W), Win7 HP x64

Does this happen immediately after you turn the Shkval on?

After you have had it on and have begun slewing it?

After you have ground stabilized it?

The Shkval does not stay slaved to the longitudinal axis of the helicopter. Once it is turned on it will slowly move horizontally as the nose of the chopper moves but if the gimbal limt is reached it will then move as fast as the nose of the chopper moves. If you ground stabilize it(press the lock button once) it will remain in the same position until it reaches it's gimbal limit and then will move with the same speed as the nose of the chopper until it's back within it's normal FOV.

If you spend a lot of time looking down at the TV screen and don't pay attention to the direction of the nose you can easily turn the nose far enough to reach the gimbal limit of the Shkval.

How about providing a track file?

If it is an input related problem then try assigning the slew commnads to a hat rather then using an axis.

Edited by Shepski

Shepski, I'm sure you did not read the whole thread...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

it continoues even if I unplug my joy. Right now I tried to reproduce it and have a luck. Please watch the trk file. Sorry for wobbly take-off :)

Firstly I was trying on the gound then in hover aaand suddenly it came again. When I open the door it is a signal that my hands are off of the stick and I'm going to unplug the stick. Then several times will resete the shkval...

I had a look at this and it seemed that when you switched to from "autotrack" mode to "gunsite" mode the problem started.

I took control after you had opened the door and it wasstill moving on it's own. I moved my hat(Shkval slewing hat) one press and it stopped and was fine after that. It may be that your hat got stuck after all the slewing you did up to that point.

I find that this continued tracking orcurs when Im targetting civ traffic that moving along a road say from left to right @ 6Km. What happens is I target it, launch a missile, watch it explode then the Shkval continues to track where it should be before the target copped it.

Read the manual - I don't think this is a bug - the targetting system is designed to keep moving the cursor along the previous track of a locked target if the lock is lost - presumably to make re-aquisition easier. Try briefly disengaging the “НПЦ” (Moving ground target mode) button.

"If optical contact with a target is lost during Auto-Tracking (for example: if the target goes behind a building (or disappears because you've just blown it up..)), the “ТА” cue on the TVM changes to a “П” cue (Russian for “memory”). The electro-optical tracking system stores the direction and motion parameters of the line of sight and initiates a tracking prolongation for up to three seconds. If the target reappears within this time, Auto-Tracking will be re-established. If however contact is lost for over three seconds, Auto-Tracking is disabled (“ТА” cue disappears) and the system automatically engages Inertial Tracking by utilizing data from the onboard computers based on range to target, coordinates and helicopter movement"

Cheers.

Read the manual - I don't think this is a bug - the targetting system is designed to keep moving the cursor along the previous track of a locked target if the lock is lost - presumably to make re-aquisition easier. Try briefly disengaging the “НПЦ” (Moving ground target mode) button.

I don't agree with you, I am aware about the memory mode but it happens even when the target is right in front of me. Other times I destroyed a target, and them i try to move to the next target the shkval stars acting wierd and then i cannot lock anything (the target locking is only one example, there ARE others). Also about this moving ground target, I have read the manual, but when you reset the skhval all of the controls reset for it including НПЦ. So that is ruled out. I am 100% certain that it is not the scan mode because to start it you have to uncage it the second time, and it is separated from the keyboard slew controls, or in the case of the joystick, it's not even on my stick. Also when this happens I center the skhval it persists in moving that way. Also I have also tried to completley reset the targeting system, but to no avail. By resetting the whole K-041 system you should be bring it under control if it were a pilot's mistake, but it it doesn't fix it so I am pretty certain it is a bug. Also Boberro mentioned the same thing happening to the view, I also had that problem but only in windowed mode (the first day I had the game installed).

Arg0n.

I've had this bug happen to me three times now. It's happening always in the same mission, and I have never had that bug in another mission.

I had no autotracking, no GMT selected, just manual control of the Shkval. Strange enough, ALL THREE times I was locking a ZSU-23-4 moving vehicle when the bug happened. I had previously dispatched some tanks and BTR before, and as soon as I lock that Shilka, the Shkval goes crazy and I can't stop it, nor change slew speed, it does not reset even if I turn it off...

I'll try putting another Shilka in another mission, and see what happens, but it may have been pure coincidence, I had done exactly the same in all three missions.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after some time of testing with using keybord only (for shkval slewing) I did not encounter the issue.

Seems to be kind of bug in joy data processing in BS. Using the hat switch works OK in other sims I ever tried.

BTW, is dev team working on this issue? Shouldn't be this thread moved to Problems and Bugs section?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Shkval

Is anyone else finding this a PITA to control sometimes? I find it wanders off on its own to such an extent that I can't actually override it with the keys, never mind be able to actually target something!

From what I can tell, it should ground stabilize.

On a related note, I find the ATGMs miss, even though the box is fully covering a target. It explodes right next to it, and acts like nothing happened. This can't be right!! As a result, I can't figure where to aim the reticle.

The same applies to rockets - anything less than a direct hit = no hit. WTF??

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango

I learned a very good way to target flying on the 159th's server. Use the helmet aiming recitcle, enable turn to target and moving target( if the target is moving) and turn on your laser. Now all you do is hold down the "uncage shkval" button then aim with the yellow monacle to where your targets are, then release the button. This will get you pretty close to the target. Your helicopter will slowly turn to the target, slew the shkval onto it and size the target box then press lock target. Fire away

Sometimes you have to rudder just a tiny bit to line up the larger circle over the aim point.

You need to keep a stable firing platform if at all possible. I'm no expert on the matter but I think you need to keep pointed at the target while the missile is in flight. It also seems to help to have some elevation over the target (seems to miss less) because if you're too low at such a low aspect angle only a minor error will cause a miss.

Turn on target only seems to work for me if I engage the auto hover mode, not sure if its supposed to be like that but I have not dug too deeply into the manual.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

• 1 month later...

This problem is easily solved by moving the shkval cursor towards its heading . It stops dead and off you go again , happy days . I dont think its a bug , its due to the sensor gimbals etc etc unless i didnt RTFM properly , which is quite likely . :smilewink:

I love you ED . kiss kiss . :pilotfly:

i am having a similar problem but with a LOGITECH 3D PRO...i can get into the air and fly around- lock up a target and everything is ok..for a few times...then out of the blue- the shkval sensor circle goes crazy and starts moving really fast by itself to the right....i reset the rensor- but it goes to the right by itself anyways...i slew the sensor to the left- but the circle still goes right...my SHKVAL SLEW controls are set to my joystick's HAT

any suggestions?

Exact same thing here.. hadn't happened before, i hadn't played for a couple of weeks, i tried to play on the weekend and i kept on getting the same as you describe, same stick. Game was unplayable :cry: It didn't matter whether i used the keyboard or hat for the Shkval, it just kept on going nuts.. and pointing straight below me..

Edited by MadTommy

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4