DCS - Fix the eye strain on Your Spotting . Another Gripe . !!! about DCS .

KoN

I think ill give the WWII stuff a miss .

Been on SOW and WWII servers .

The spotting is just Awful .

Just black Dots that melt into the background . .!!

This is no good in 2022 -  DCS seems to avoid any complaint's over this . 

The amount of eye strain is crazy . 😗

Cant even tell which direction things are happening . What and Who is Who . NUTS . !!!😆

Also DCS is supported by WWII Flying Legends , Do we want to push people away from fly these great WWII airframes  . 

• Like 4

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• ED Team

I agree there are some improvements needed, and these are reported. There are also some cases that you will in fact have a tough time identifying the type and direction of the aircraft, there are many reports of pilots suggesting they needed to get up close to be sure their target was an enemy target. I just flagged the issue again the other day, the team is on break right now, but I will see what they say on it again when they return, thanks for the feedback.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
15 minutes ago, Slice313 said:

My biggest issue is "vanishing points" depending on the "level of zoom". Sometimes "more zoom" equals to the "point disappearing" which is confusing.

That might be related to things like the TGP, such as zooming in with a targeting pod, but the zoom still renders like you are zoomed out. I hope that makes sense. So the draw distances and LODs dont know you are zooming in and remain like that would if you were look at 0 zoom.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

18 minutes ago, Slice313 said:

My biggest issue is "vanishing points" depending on the "level of zoom". Sometimes "more zoom" equals to the "point disappearing" which is confusing.

+1

If I want to spot contacts far away, I have to zoom out. Then you can clearly see the black dots. As soon as I zoom in, the dot dissapears again. 

• Like 4

@NineLine: Thanks for engaging the development team on this subject. It's a long-standing sore and I have completely given up on Multi-Player as I keep getting shot down before I even know there is a bandit. Of course that's also due to my eyesight. I'm doing fine in SP, with labels ON (not just a little blue dot that merges with the blue sky).

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

3 hours ago, Nirvi said:

+1

If I want to spot contacts far away, I have to zoom out. Then you can clearly see the black dots. As soon as I zoom in, the dot dissapears again. 

Aircraft “disappear” when they render if your draw distance is in that sour zone where the aircraft is still dot size when it renders. Zoom quite obviously just moves you closer temporarily causing this render vanishing act when using zoom.

It is a lighting issue in DCS and also a poor simulation of how the human eye works. DCS is rendering colors when the aircraft should be in silhouette (black) and the human eye does not differentiate color at the distance DCS is trying to present them to us. 

In VR, depending on settings (Ultra visibility range), I can spot fighter size aircraft up to 50 miles away only to have the aircraft render out of existence in the middle ranges and become visible again in the short range. I generally use High or Medium visibility range depending on the particular terrain and weather settings but none are satisfactory representations of what one would see in real life.

The mission performance will also impact spotting. I fly in VR exclusively and missions with excessive amounts of AI perform poorly and this makes aircraft even harder to spot.

In any case, varying the visibility range settings is your best tool for this problem (in VR) until it gets corrected..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

On 1/5/2022 at 11:29 PM, NineLine said:

I agree there are some improvements needed, and these are reported. There are also some cases that you will in fact have a tough time identifying the type and direction of the aircraft, there are many reports of pilots suggesting they needed to get up close to be sure their target was an enemy target. I just flagged the issue again the other day, the team is on break right now, but I will see what they say on it again when they return, thanks for the feedback.

Hi nine line 

I've been too Duxford on many occasions and even shared the Tent with  Flying Legends and WWII vets from Britain and Germany . Spoke to a few Pilots and they were very keen on the DCS flight models . This Really need addressing its very very Bad . 

With Vulkan coming i hope this will be Addressed . AS the  WWII airframes have some much too offer now .

With Great damage modelling and Gun splash marks ect . 

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

On 1/6/2022 at 8:48 AM, NineLine said:

That might be related to things like the TGP, such as zooming in with a targeting pod, but the zoom still renders like you are zoomed out. I hope that makes sense. So the draw distances and LODs dont know you are zooming in and remain like that would if you were look at 0 zoom.

That's correct , if I See a nice black dot and I zoom in to get an idea what it is that black Dot will disappear then I've got to zoom back out to get that black dot again . When in close the Whole black dot will blend into the back ground , Which is full of black dark shading .

The only time I can see and get what's going on is if black Dot is against clouds or a light back ground . 

I've now started to wear glasses while playing DCS and other flight sims . But DCS has big issue with WWII . 

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

On 1/6/2022 at 10:01 AM, Mogster said:

+1 for realism then 🤔

Jeee - Really do you think that . I fly real airframes As hobby .

I've also been around combat aircraft most of my life . 

This is a computer simulation on 2d screens of all makes and sizes . Then we have VR 3d screens , that cost hell of lot of money . All makes and sizes . 

I know for a fact the spotting has been a thorn in DCS side since 2016 . its NOW 2022 . 

We all want (as close as it gets )but there are other sims out there Doing a better job . And There is more too come . New kid on the block . !

Now don't come here and say go play them games then ect , because that's a cheap way out of admitting there are faults here . 🤪

Sorry for the rant . 😆

Edited by KoN
  • Like 5

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 2 weeks later...

Even ground targets are just black dots . Until you are right on top of them using mark one eye ball . 

DCS has never addressed this issue and when they have its a quick fix . 

We know its a jet sim . Radar lock and fire at 10Km . 

But we have WWII and now the ever increase in Combat Heli . 

This needs to be addressed I want to know if Vulkan will change this . 

Has DCS sat down and looked into the POOR spotting issues . 

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• 3 weeks later...

Storm of War server closed . Is that due to the poor spotting that the server was empty or ??? 

The times i joined the server was full but you can hear the frustration of people not being able too see the targets . !!!!

Edited by KoN

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

I have a really low-end system, so I may not be able to appreciate what someone with a better system sees in terms of detail, and I hope my comments can add something here. Something I haven't read about on the forums yet was how people are finding spotting on the Marianas map. I find myself flying more and more there with WWII birds because of this very reason. Maybe its just me, but I am finding it easier to keep track of the Ai plane I'm trying to shoot down over water than I do over land formations on the Channel/Normandy maps.

But I would also like to hear your input on what distances we should expect to see different levels of detail? To better explain what I mean, I can see a vehicle traveling towards me on a flat stretch of highway from quite a far distance, but I can't tell what type of vehicle it is until it gets fairly close, and depending on the closing speed even that can be difficult. And if I want to read the plate number of the guy in front of me, I have to pretty much be tailgating him.

So at what distance should we be able to start separating wings from fuselage, number of engines, canopy detail, plane markings ect...?

Edited by Callsign112