No distance to TACAN in HSI

jfri

In the third interactive tutorial I should navigate to a TACAN and I am told to watch out for distances to it. But my HSI always reads 53 miles so this tutorial is difficult to do. But the course deviation needle seem to work

13 hours ago, jfri said:

In the third interactive tutorial I should navigate to a TACAN and I am told to watch out for distances to it. But my HSI always reads 53 miles so this tutorial is difficult to do. But the course deviation needle seem to work

Hi.

As far as I know, this is a known bug/issue, A qorkaround should be to switch off and onthe TAC and normally it will cooperate this time. If not, do it again ( I think that was the trick...).

Saludos.

Saca111

Figure I should just add to this thread. 

I created this simple mission with ground start with LOS from Vaziani to Tbilisi (25X).

When I setup the mission for ground start HOT, the tacan works just fine. 

When I set it up for ground start cold, and do the startup routine.. tacan never works.  I tested both scenarios in 2D and VR...

Screen_220110_084947.png

Screen_220110_085905.png

TACAN_F5E.miz F5-Tacan-Cold-Fails.trk F5-Tacan-Hot-Worked.trk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sacarino111 said:

Hi.

As far as I know, this is a known bug/issue, A qorkaround should be to switch off and onthe TAC and normally it will cooperate this time. If not, do it again ( I think that was the trick...).

Saludos.

Saca111

I tried that and this time the distance was not stuck. But it seemed that the needle did not get active until after a while at which the distance got updated value. Si I turned to the right in order to intercept the localizer. When the beacon got active I could see that I rather should have turned to the left

7 hours ago, Frederf said:

TACAN equipment has a warmup time of 85 seconds. You'll hear the ident tones immediately during the warmup time (famously there's a bug where the volume can't be changed during this interval), but the bearing and distance will not function.

F5-Tacan-Cold-Fails-just-wait.trk 94.88 kB · 0 downloads

But in my case it was significantly more than 85 seconds that the TACAN was inactive

9 hours ago, Frederf said:

TACAN equipment has a warmup time of 85 seconds. You'll hear the ident tones immediately during the warmup time (famously there's a bug where the volume can't be changed during this interval), but the bearing and distance will not function.

F5-Tacan-Cold-Fails-just-wait.trk 94.88 kB · 0 downloads

Great to know!  That could explain my cold start 2D test..Ie i didn't wait long enough...

I will say I have never gotten tacan to work in VR in the F5.  the distance is always the barber pole blocked off.  even with air start... 

32 minutes ago, pchRage said:

Great to know!  That could explain my cold start 2D test..Ie i didn't wait long enough...

I will say I have never gotten tacan to work in VR in the F5.  the distance is always the barber pole blocked off.  even with air start... 

Really using VR or 2D should not matter for this. And btw I use VR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The issue I'm having is I can't see the ranging details in the HUD when TCN is activated and boxed in the HSI set to A/A in the Hornet.

Example with A/A on:

Screen_220127_155016.jpg

Example with only T/R (note that T/R shows ranging info in the HUD)Screen_220127_155013.jpg

The above is illustrated on DCS: 2.7.10.18996 Open Beta on a single player mission with a KC135MPRS "TXC" tanker set to 32Y

Edited by Inanity

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/22/2022 at 10:13 AM, Chuck_Henry said:

TACAN is bugged right now across multiple aircraft; just gotta wait for a fix.

Can we all confirm this is the case?  I just tried the "Hercules" mission and I can't get the Tacan to work at all in any mode with no amount of "turn it off and on again" solving my issue. 

Edited by Jetliner

We use air to air TACAN daily in the F-5 with few issues in several maps. We do have to recycle power sometimes but that is something that you sometimes have to do IRL. 

I have also been using TACAN in NTTR in the F5 with no issues. Other maps, TACAN is very hit or miss but few maps have actual TACAN or VORTAC stations so it is to be expected. 

Edited by =475FG= Dawger

EDsignaturefleet.jpg