Need help making a decision about my HOTAS

So I bought a Warthog HOTAS whilst furloughed in 2020...I had been looking at upgrading my venerable TM HOTAS X and had narrowed it down to the Warthog and the X56 (VKB and Virpil were too expensive). I basically went with the Warthog as it was the first to come into stock...Im not a serious simmer btw

Now whilst I used it for a while after purchase I havent used it nearly as much as i should have, and after getting a new, smaller, desk i noticed what when using Monstertech desk mounts the stiff centering spring is actually shaking my desk and monitors and im worried that something may break.

So i thought about spending a bit of money to fix the situation...get a new spring (may end up breaking the joystick), converting the desk mount to a chair mount (I have a small room so it may get in the way a bit)...in the end i decided it might be the best idea to sell the whole HOTAS and downgrade to the X56 and not pay any money...or I could buy a virpil/vkb stick and that £50 Raptor throttle that came out recently

So ive put  the Warthog on ebay but now im having second thoughts, do i really want to downgrade for free or should i shell out a bit of cash to try and live with the Warthog...and then i thought about upgrading, just selling the Warthog stick and getting a Virpil/vkb stick.

Ive got both the full HOTAS and just the stick on ebay and am waiting to see if either sell to see what money i end up with

As I said above, I am not a super serious simmer so probably wouldnt notice the shortcomings of downgrading but as I am out of work atm I really need to consider if its worth paying more to keep the Warthog or upgrade it.

Let me know your thought below, hopefully they will help me make up my mind

Edited by The_Chugster

If it helps I am not a serious simmer but I am an enthusiastic one, 20yrs plus. I have the X56 and I love it. If it broke I would buy it again. It fits on my desk without too much fuss and has enough buttons for DCS.

Never used a Warthog hotas so I cant compare. 

I have the Warthog and both Virpil bases. My 2 cents? Keep the Warthog or just sell the base and get a Virpil base. If you want to keep the Warthog, you can easily get a softer spring from Sahaj: 

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/de/product-category/federn/

The green spring is significant softer than the standard black spring of the Warthog and should help a lot with your shaking desk issue. Red is slightly harder for extensions up to 200mm and the blue one is for extensions longer than 200mm. These aren't cheap, but quality is top notch (i have the blue one). I wouldn't downgrade if i were you. After beeing used to the Warthog, you will regret getting the X-56. Prior to the Warthog, i had the X-55 a long, long time ago wich is basically the same as the X-56. It's just that the X-55 was worth it's price as it was pretty much exactly half the price of the X-56 today. Logitech just changed color, added a 4 way hat and doubled the price. Some would call that scalping. Not to talk about, that the X-56 still suffers from ghosting wich a lot of people experience with it. For some it works like a charm and others cannot even stop the ghosting with a powered USB hub. The Warthog was a massive upgrade in terms of build quality, precision, used materials etc. and the Virpil bases again were a massive upgrade to the Warthog. Take it off ebay ASAP and get the green spring from Sahaj. Or sell the Warthog base only, keep throttle as well as the grip and get a Virpil WarBRD base.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

I have removed it from ebay now, but im still not sure if I want to stick with the warthog stick (chair mount or spring swap) or just buy a new stick, either a cheap one for short term (like the TM Airbus or T1600m) or a mid range stick like the Gladiator for medium term with a view to sorting something for the Warthog stick later...or get a Viirpil base and use the Warthog stick...I do want that Warbrd grip for when the F-4E comes to DCS

@VpR81 How much of a risk is there to frack up the stick when replacing the spring? I switched out the Slew on the throttle, is it easier or harder than that? Do you have to get rid of the round plastic surrounding the stick like the video says?

Edited by The_Chugster

One more vote here for keeping the Warthog HOTAS and swap the original spring on the stick (which is just far too hard) for the softer "green spring" from Sahaj.
I'd get also one of the Warthog soft "hoodies" from Sahaj, to keep dust out of the inner parts.

Pretty much every user (with similar problems as yours) seems over the moon after the mod is done, confirming that the Warthog stick becomes what it should have been originally from factory.

The operation seems very simple and purely mechanical (no messing with electronics).

From your position, it's worth the trouble as I see it, Chugster. I'd say you have more to gain going that specifc route (also least expensive), than with any other possible option.

Edited by LucShep
added video

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

There is really no need to get a new stick to replace the Warthog stick/base.
Just (if financially possible of course) get a Virpil base (WarBRD will do just fine), mount the heavier spring set that comes with it and you will be a happy camper.
On a plus note, the Virpil base will be performing way better you will never return to the Warthog base.
And on an extra plus note, if you happen to use Target GUI or Script to program your Warthog, you can rename the Virpil base so the TM software still thinks it's a TM based that is attached. So no need to do redo all your programming.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

40 minutes ago, LucShep said:

One more vote here for keeping the Warthog HOTAS and swap the original spring on the stick (which is just far too hard) for the softer "green spring" from Sahaj.
I'd get also one of the Warthog soft "hoodies" from Sahaj, to keep dust out of the inner parts.

Pretty much every user (with similar problems as yours) seems over the moon after the mod is done, confirming that the Warthog stick becomes what it should have been originally from factory.

The operation seems very simple and purely mechanical (no messing with electronics).

From your position, it's worth the trouble as I see it, Chugster. I'd say you have more to gain going that specifc route (also least expensive), than with any other possible option.

I just watched that, do you have to get rid of the outer cover or can you put it back on?

I am just worried about breaking something during or after install and flushing £200 down the drain

Edited by The_Chugster

6 minutes ago, The_Chugster said:

I just watched that, do you have to get rid of the outer cover or can you put it back on?

I believe you can, but can not confirm.

😉 Better ask directly to the man himself, and other users who have done the mod:  

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

1 hour ago, The_Chugster said:

How much of a risk is there to frack up the stick when replacing the spring? I switched out the Slew on the throttle, is it easier or harder than that? Do you have to get rid of the round plastic surrounding the stick like the video says?

The process is pretty easy, though more complex than switching the AB detent on the thtottle. I was able to put my outer cover back on after switching springs (blue spring, as mentioned), but i've seen a thread here on the forum where someone wasn't (also blue spring irrc). The green spring shouldn't be as massive as the blue and should be ok, i guess. But you realy should ask that Sahaj himself. If budget allows it, scratch that all and go for the WarBRD base.

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

Basically Virpil grips do work on the Warthog base, although some of them with limitations. The Warthog base supports 19 Buttons + POV hat, so 23 Buttons in total. Some Virpil grips do have more buttons and some have additional axis wich is then not recognised by the warthog base. The WarBRD grip does have 18 Buttons in total so it should be ok, but unlike other Virpil grips their homepage does not list the Warthog base as compatible with the WarBRD grip. This may be just a mistake on the homepage. To be sure, i'd email Virpil support and ask them.

On 2/26/2022 at 5:20 PM, The_Chugster said:

Before i got me a Virpil WarBRD base to replace the Warthog base i got me a green Sajah spring.
When the springs are changed and the job is done, everything can be put together come orginal, no worries there (so the outher cover will get back installed).
But... although much better then the original spring, Sajah's green spring didn't cut it for me, hence the change to a Virpil base and i use that on the original Warthog base plate, much more stable then the Virpil one which is made for their much lighter stick. I just drilled 4 extra holes for the Virpil base which will cover the original holes so it looks as clean as it was before.

Virpil base.jpg

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

You could watch winwing for sales. They've been discounting their F18 stick ever since their f16 gear came out. I don't know if it's as nice as virpil but it's head and shoulders above the warthog.  I paid about as much for the whole stick as I would have for just the virpil base. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

6 hours ago, The_Chugster said:

i would need to know if the Warthog adaptor they sell also works with Virpil grips

Nope.

Just to chime in that replacing the spring in the Warthog base with a softer (green) one is a very simple and safe process from my experience.

That said my plan is to replace the base with a Virpil one when funds allow and use the TM grip.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Has anyone here used the Warbrd or VFX grips on the Warthog base?

An email from Virpil said they should both work fine as they have less buttons than the Warthog stick but i would like to get some firsthand knowledge

Edited by The_Chugster

Decided to go with the green spring for now, its the cheapest option and should be the best short term option....I can grab the Warbird grip for when the Phantom comes out and then look at getting a better base in a year or two (probably a Virpil for grip compatability)

Edited by The_Chugster