OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

5 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

When I update DCS I copy the \DCS World OpenBeta\bin\openvr_api.dll to a backup folder

I then overwrite this with my opencomposite openvr_api.dll I have downloaded from OpenComposite | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io)

I have added a shortcut on my desktop to DCS.exe (also in the bin folder) and added the parameters to test native (after putting the OpenBeta dll back)

• Thanks 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

5 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

When I update DCS I copy the \DCS World OpenBeta\bin\openvr_api.dll to a backup folder

I then overwrite this with my opencomposite openvr_api.dll I have downloaded from OpenComposite | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io)

I have added a shortcut on my desktop to DCS.exe (also in the bin folder) and added the parameters to test native (after putting the OpenBeta dll back)

Do you not use the Skatezilla updater, then?

Just now, greyeagle787 said:

Do you not use the Skatezilla updater, then?

Not for launching DCS but it should work the same.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

35 minutes ago, Grennymaster said:

sry for the question, im a bit confused now .)

can someone show where to put the  --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR  exactly? at best with a picture 🙂

Put it in the shortcut line after the quotation mark for DCS.exe. There should be one space after the end quotation. See pic attached.

image.png

Not to be a pain in the rear, but I will add that this isn't a very professional way to design consumer software. Having to add command lines to start the program for increasingly common equipment and modes of playing ain't the way to do it. ED needs to address a graphical interface for startup options.

Edited by davidrbarnette

vor 9 Minuten schrieb davidrbarnette:

Put it in the shortcut line after the quotation mark for DCS.exe. There should be one space after the end quotation. See pic attached.

image.png

Not to be a pain in the rear, but I will add that this isn't a very professional way to design consumer software. Having to add command lines to start the program for increasingly common equipment and modes of playing ain't the way to do it. ED needs to address a graphical interface for startup options.

Thanks mate, now i got it 🙂

Sadly game crashes after a few mins. same with open composite. Repair had no effekt. mabye i need to try it via Steam VR

Anyone else able to use CAS via the toolkit?

Thought I'd read somewhere it was broken... working for me.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

This native support for Open XR, this only means for DCS Open Beta? Or also for the non Beta version? I am having troubles starting up DCS (non beta) in VR without Open Composite program. Open Beta runs fine.

Edited by buin

On 1/29/2023 at 5:56 AM, Grennymaster said:

Thanks mate, now i got it 🙂

Sadly game crashes after a few mins. same with open composite. Repair had no effekt. mabye i need to try it via Steam VR

Do you have the toolkit installed ? if yes , try to set the toolkit in a safe mode .

Edited by dock999

I've tested DCS native OpenXR using hp Reverb G2 and Pico4 on both my Laptop and PC, and I'm sure that the Per-game installation 64 bit mentioned in this link worked much better with me: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr as the original DCS VR files used to halt a lot on my new Laptop. less on my PC but the driver from the link had much less issues with my Laptop and no issues at all with my PC, I have a PC with the following specifications  AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D PC  with 64 GB RAM DDR4 & Nvidia RTX 3080 ti GPU, and a Laptop with the following specifications Intel Core i7 12700H with 64GB RAM DDR5 & Nvidia RTX3070ti GPU, the Laptop is running on the dedicated GPU and both are having NVME 3TB drives each.

I hope that DCS focus more on the VR thread as many issues are appearing lately.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb dock999:

Do you have the toolkit installed ? if yes , try to set the toolkit in a safe mode .

i have installed it now again. makes no differens. BUT i could test some other Modules. ATM just the Apache gets the game to crash. Flew a 2 h mission with the Hornet yesterday an no crashes with very smooth gameplay. I just wait till next patch an get deeper into the Hornet 🙂 also a fun bird to fly 🙂

• nikoel changed the title to OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
1 hour ago, mbucchia said:

For those who were held back into OpenComposite, I just released a new version of OpenXR Toolkit 1.2.4, when used with DCS in native OpenXR mode, will let you use WMR reprojection and also Turbo Mode.

Quickstart | OpenXR Toolkit (mbucchia.github.io)

Do you know if DCS still has the double call that you mentioned previously?

5 hours ago, slughead said:

Do you know if DCS still has the double call that you mentioned previously?

It still does, though as explained below, the engine only makes the double call if the runtime/API layers feed it a certain pattern of data.

The change in 1.2.4 adds a safeguard to make sure the game never receives such pattern.

• Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

16 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

It still does, though as explained below, the engine only makes the double call if the runtime/API layers feed it a certain pattern of data.

The change in 1.2.4 adds a safeguard to make sure the game never receives such pattern.

Thanks. Understood. I must admit I turned off notifications on that thread as it was just appeared to become a loop of the same question. I’m looking forward to the improved motion reprojection in OpenXR. Do you have any rough ideas of availability date?

vor 13 Stunden schrieb mbucchia:

Thank you so much!

I am still hesitant about using the WMR Runtime for OpenXR, because i find the SteamVR Runtime Motion Smoothing produces a slightly sharper picture and less "jittering" on near and fast moving objects compared to what WMRs Motion Reprojection does. E.g. Jets in ACM or Formation.

Everything else in WMR (+MR) is smooth and feels superior to SteamVR.

Does your Change fix this too or is there still something to be done on EDs side?

Edited by Sile