OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

1 hour ago, DeltaMike said:

All I can figure is, @edmuss has his 3070 on testosterone shots or something.  

Bog standard 3070fe.

If I want to put up with the heat and noise then overclocked +175 core/+1200 VRAM. Typically boosts to 2080ish core in DCS and sits at about 76°C. Medium settings 85% will easily pull 60fps over Syria open country, drops to 55ish over cities.

If I want it a bit quieter then I run undervolted to 850mv -200 core/+1200 VRAM. Boosts to 1950 consistently and is generally below 70°C. Obviously lose some performance but it's fine for >60fps on Caucasus.

With 90hz and RTSS frame locking to 45fps I can comfortably run 100% with high settings but it's more comfortable in the ka50 over the a10 as there's generally less delta in relative cockpit/ground movement causing the vsync ghosting.

If I want perfectly smooth then it's 60hz and adjust settings to sit above refresh rate.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 3/17/2022 at 5:33 AM, nikoel said:

4) Set runtime to OpenComposite (Which connects to OpenXR) - On first startup it needs to download DLL's. Wait for that to complete before going to the next step

• The application allows you to select which individual games you would like to connect via SteamVR and OpenComposite and comes with a built in update utility! Just run it every now and then to check for updates - Neato! (This is also why this version of the guide might be it's final iteration)

image.png

OK, I followed your instructions TO THE LETTER, and I got this app downloaded, up, and running.  The only problem is that it did NOT have any DCS logo in it, nor did I see any way to get one.  Yes, I did the whole clean/repair thing too, even though my install is but a week old.  Is this a problem?

OK, I followed your instructions TO THE LETTER, and I got this app downloaded, up, and running.  The only problem is that it did NOT have any DCS logo in it, nor did I see any way to get one.  Yes, I did the whole clean/repair thing too, even though my install is but a week old.  Is this a problem?
Did you try to launch dcs in VR? Does it start up? If so, then everything should be good. Once you start it, it should show up in there.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

1 hour ago, sze5003 said:

Did you try to launch dcs in VR? Does it start up? If so, then everything should be good. Once you start it, it should show up in there.

Yes, and it seems to be working though I had a problem that just went away.  But I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the performance.  I'm going to reset OpenXR to 70% (which is what I run for MSFS) and see what happens, but it was noticeably slower when I tried a quick mission, especially while taxiing.  I also noticed some "pop-ups" in the mountains I was flying by, not sure if it was LOD related, or because the sun was coming up in "ticks", and it's COMPLETELY possible it was happening before, but now I'm looking for potential problems.  Sometimes, seek and you shall find turns out to be true, so I can't say with any certainty that is a new "thing".  

On 5/2/2022 at 1:18 PM, speed-of-heat said:

Yep, you can also copy the new d3dcompiler_47.dll into the directory with the 2nd approach, which I do mostly so I can manage it with a mod manager.

This is exactly what I do with the Global OpenComposite method.  Makes it easier for me just using my mod manager.

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

15 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

i got an update to opencomposite today and now i'm getting this :

image.png

during missions

I think its sleeping time not working well with latest build, and WMR put googles to sleep and crush game. Try set to NEVER this:

image.png

or in Regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic

IdleTimerDuration=0

image.png

Ill test and write feedback.

P.s. Ive looked at crashlog, and found some karnelbase.dll bug, so went here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kernelbasedll-is-causing-crash/111aa20b-b223-426a-b07d-7fe4daa01e46

Solution:

image.png

,so now cleaning about 30 different Visual Studios installed and after that reinstal newest:
Visual Studio 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2022 - Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable latest supported downloads

Those last ones before uninstaling... 2005 O_o
image.png

Edited by TylerPL666

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

9 minutes ago, TylerPL666 said:

I think its sleeping time not working well with latest build, and WMR put googles to sleep and crush game. Try set to NEVER this:

image.png

or in Regedit:

IdleTimerDuration=0

image.png

mine is not set to let windows decide.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

11 hours ago, KevyKevTPA said:

Yeah same thing happened to me.  Maybe because I have DCS on its own drive, or maybe that's how it is.  I had to start DCS in VR (it actually started in pancake mode) then re-run opencomposite.exe, then DCS showed up in the window.  I also had to select "Switch to OpenComposite" a couple of times before it "took." 

Sorry for the frustration.  Things have been moving extremely quickly -- I'm amazed how much things have changed for the better over the last month.  The developers have been working their fannies off (for free).  Three cheers for that.  

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

mine is not set to let windows decide.

My either, but any time that is set will probably cause bug. My thoughts are that now when DCS starts, the sleeping clock starts ticking, and after that time it turns off WMR and crush opencomposite. If u have timer on u can predict how much time u have left. With windows decide its russian rulette

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

22 minutes ago, TylerPL666 said:

image.png

or in Regedit:

IdleTimerDuration=0

image.png

It has nothing to do with power saving and placing the headset to sleep. To keep it simple, a function in OpenXR is waiting for an image to be released by a certain time. It wasn't, the function timed out and an error is reported. Here is the API documentation from the OpenXR specification for that specific function.

2022-05-04 10_11_04-The OpenXR Specification and 8 more pages - Personal - Microsoft Edge.png

Edited by slughead

18 hours ago, Sr. said:

Near migraine inducing.

Which may be the problem precisely.  I'll bet a lot of people who are sensitive to the flicker have at least a family history of migraine.  

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

6 minutes ago, slughead said:

nothing to do with power saving and placing the headset to sleep. To keep it simple, a function in OpenXR is waiting for an image to be released by a certain time. It wasn't, the function timed out and an error is reported. Here is the API documentation from the OpenXR specification for that specific function.

I think the problem is Taz's latest mod for trees in Syria, which is where i encountered the problem, i'm now going through the mod 1 file at a time to see if i can isolate it.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

3 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

I think the problem is Taz's latest mod for trees in Syria, which is where i encountered the problem, i'm now going through the mod 1 file at a time to see if i can isolate it.

Its not mods - its Windows. I follow that Windows Visual Studio (VC++) library lead, because of bugs with fresh instal I had to use:

Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall meta diagcab:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d

After about 15 min of uninstaling everything with "Microsoft Visual Studio" or "Microsoft VC++" by this software above and Delating all files from today (during attemts to instal Visual Studio, to solfe Karnelbase problem, instaler left some files and crash during instal) in those location (looka at bin oryginal directory):
image.png

I was able to instal those:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

And run DCS without problems for now.

Edited by TylerPL666

4 minutes ago, TylerPL666 said:

Its not mods - its Windows. I follow that Windows Visual Studio (VC++) library, because of bugs with fresh instal I had to use:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d

After about 15 min of uninstaling everything with "Microsoft Visual Studio" or "Microsoft VC++" by this software above and Delating all files from today (during attemts to instal Visual Studio, to solfe Karnelbase problem) in those location (looka at bin oryginal directory):
image.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

What evidence, other than guess work, did you find to reach this conclusion?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TylerPL666 said:

Its not mods - its Windows. I follow that Windows Visual Studio (VC++) library lead, because of bugs with fresh instal I had to use:

After about 15 min of uninstaling everything with "Microsoft Visual Studio" or "Microsoft VC++" by this software above and Delating all files from today (during attemts to instal Visual Studio, to solfe Karnelbase problem, instaler left some files and crash during instal) in those location (looka at bin oryginal directory):
image.png

maybe you have a different problem; but the problem i am having is not related to a "Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed"...it installed just fine.  my probl;em is 100% replicable (or was yesterday, i noticed we had another update this morning) mod present it fails mod mot present it doesn't... 

Edited by speed-of-heat
fix to update

15 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

maybe you have a different problem; but the problem i am having is not related to a "Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed"...it installed just fine.  my probl;em is 100% replicable (or was yesterday, i noticed we had another fix this morning) mod present it fails mod mot present it doesn't... 

I think he was providing a link to remove all MSVC++ redistributables as he was trying to remove them all for some unfathomable reason.

With regards to the OpenComposite changes from today, they're not fixes. It's just ongoing development. You'll not notice any benefits from this mornings changes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slughead said:

What evidence, other than guess work, did you find to reach this conclusion?

My game crashed, with report:

# -------------- 20220409-173829 --------------
DCS/2.7.11.22211 (x86_64; Windows NT 10.0.19043)
C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
# 00000000 STATUS_SUCCESS at DA3F4F69 00:00000000

Zip attached.

Then I just start google, and try to instal latest Visual Studio, that cause KERNELBASE.dll, but instalation keep crashing... so I go deeper, and deeper... So in the end simple VC++ took me over 1,5h to figure out how to do it, so I thought maybe it will help someone else, cause when look at forum found that not only me had this iussue.

dcs.log-20220504-082354_.rar

Edited by TylerPL666

1 hour ago, TylerPL666 said:

My game crashed, with report:

# -------------- 20220409-173829 --------------
DCS/2.7.11.22211 (x86_64; Windows NT 10.0.19043)
C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
# 00000000 STATUS_SUCCESS at DA3F4F69 00:00000000

Zip attached.

Then I just start google, and try to instal latest Visual Studio, that cause KERNELBASE.dll, but instalation keep crashing... so I go deeper, and deeper... So in the end simple VC++ took me over 1,5h to figure out how to do it, so I thought maybe it will help someone else, cause when look at forum found that not only me had this iussue.

dcs.log-20220504-082354_.rar 203.26 kB · 1 download

Your problem is highly unlikely to be down to a MSVC++ dll. They're extensively tested and proven throughout the world. It's more likely code higher up the chain has tried to access memory not allocated to it and it has crashed out in that dll or the developers have put in an exit routine when they detect an unexpected/unhandled error. You're far better off to grab the log files and send them to  jabbah to debug properly than guess at a solution. He'll either identify a problem in his code, or point you elsewhere such as DCS.

If you have any other mods, I'd remove them and retest. Go back to vanilla DCS, test. If it doesn't crash, add OpenComposite, test. If that doesn't crash, add one of your mods Repeat until you isolate what introduced the problem. Then take it from there. Repeat each test a number of times even if it doesn't crash as sometimes faults can be caused by the timing of events.

But first.... install the latest beta. You're a release behind. If it is a DCS bug, it may have been fixed already.

Edited by slughead
  • Like 2

I'm not using Taz's shaders anymore but it is similar ish 🙂

38 minutes ago, tomeye said:

I removed shaders and restarted with vanilla shaders and then I faced no problems. I was flying Syria noe all the time.

@speed-of-heat are you using other shaders?

not using any shaders at all at the moment; but it was Taz's Syrian tree mod i was using that caused the error

21 hours ago, slughead said:

But first.... install the latest beta. You're a release behind. If it is a DCS bug, it may have been fixed already

I had nevest when crashed.

image.png