OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

Just now, Tony86 said:

i had the same issue.

managed to solve by restarting wmr portal and killed some process named acc.... etc....

but after that after à 3rd or 4th dcs boot. issue went back and first method was unsuccesful. i had to rebbot my computer. i guess à computer reboot is the best method.

See my post above. Try restarting the "Windows Perception Service" as an easier workaround.

Whatever you did with .6 seems to have solved the Apache B/S issue :).  I'll edit my OP where I explained it.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

New OpenCompositeACC version 0.6.1 released:

https://gitlab.com/Jabbah/open-composite-acc/-/releases

"Now GetProjectionRaw works using viewSpace at start up we can use it to fix the hidden area mesh without the manual steps. Fixed ACC menu appearing low down at start up."

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Managed to incorporate a poor man's motion smoothing using Radeon chill. it's not perfect, but it beats the hell out of the artifacting from openxr tools.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Some further information on the workings of OXR 🙂

With the OXR Dev toolkit you can set a customised render scale, if this is left to default it will calculate the recommended resolution based on the size of your VRAM.

With an 8GB 3070 the recommended resolution for the G2 is 2480x2428 per eye which is a little over 60% render scale.

It makes this recommendation based on the back buffer size (with worst case scenario of having 4xMSAA applied) not using more than 10% of available VRAM.

At 100% render scale I'm getting 55-60fps on A10C easy instant action, at default renderscale I'm getting 70-75fps.

Even with 60% render scale the image quality is actually very good, aliasing isn't bad at all considering and I can turn on 2xMSAA for a 2-3fps hit and really clean up the image.  HUD and MFD text characters are slightly less well defined but even at the reduced resolution all cockpit text is fully legible without needing to lean in.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Updated again and repackaged for OVGME, this should get rid of the need to set a manual mask 🙂

OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.6.1.zip

• Like 4

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

6 hours ago, Dodge said:

Yes, it does seems so. I have the Steam DCS variant installed on my system and have managed to run DCS via WMR and without it calling SteamVR. So it does seem to work. I just had to get used to starting DCS from within WMR (never done so before).

How do you launch a game from within WMR without controllers ?

Everything seems to work, but my voice attack no longer works.
The microphone of the G2 is apparently not recognised.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Edit: I have it !

Edited by A.F.

33 minutes ago, Elidji said:

How do you launch a game from within WMR without controllers ?

Alt+Tab

Desktop shortcut.

12 minutes ago, A.F. said:

Everything seems to work, but my voice attack no longer works.
The microphone of the G2 is apparently not recognised.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

oh great... 😕

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Maybe a stupid question, but does this only work for standalone DCS? I use the steam version, and repair the game through steam(is this enough?), and SteamVR always opens... So I cant access the toolkit menu.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

So I thought I'd give this a go since people were praising the reduced frametimes and overall better image quality. After cleaning/repairing DCS and removing my previous VR mods I placed the files in my bin folder, as well as installing OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality. I tried it, and did not notice a difference compared to my previous setup with VRPerfKit running AMD CAS at 1.0 resolution (Everything actually became blurrier at the same % custom resolution compared to my % SteamVR SS because of no sharpening/upscaling with VRPerfKit which the OP confirmed does not work with OpenXR https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/tknziz/update_233_v06_openxr_for_wmr_headsets_others_g2/). So far, I'm seeing very close performance in frametimings at 60%, 80%, and 100% resolutions for both SteamVR and OpenXR. I have a G2, and playing DCS without motion smoothing (since it's difficult to hit 90 FPS) looks terrible so I typically play with motion smoothing on/forced on. OpenXR's Reprojection does allow 30/45/60Hz refresh rate compared to SteamVR's minimum of 45Hz with the headset set to 90Hz, while OpenXR also allows seamless switching between the lockout refresh rates. However, OpenXR Reprojection seems to cause noticable tearing effects at the edge of the displays as it hits 30/45Hz. I much prefer SteamVR's motion smoothing over OpenXR due to the tearing because I am able to maintain good enough frametimes for 90Hz motion smoothing 95% of the time. I have also had consistent issues with DCS crashing on startup, similar to what some others have been experiencing in this thread with the same errors. DCS will only open on average 1/3 tries without crashing which is incredibly annoying.

In my personal opinion, it's not worth using OpenXR with a G2 at the moment because of the crashing and until the smoothing is improved unless if you play without motion smoothing.

I am running a 3080, 12600k @ 4.9GHz all core. 32GB RAM @ 3000MHz, DCS on an NVME.

Edit: I should clarify, comparison with is done with SteamVR + WMR set as OpenXR runtime in SteamVR. OpenXR comparison was done as OP stated, with no SteamVR passthrough.

Edited by July
  • Like 1

Sounds as though you have something not quite right, 100% OXR is as clear as 150% steamvr on my machine and unless you're really struggling to get 45fps the motion smoothing isn't required. Running 60% gives me about 25fps uplift with sparingly small losses in clarity.

I get really bad artifacting with the OXR reprojection as well but as I'm well above 45fps, even at 100% it's not needed.

I also prefer to not use upscaling with OXR as it introduces a load of crawling shimmery ants which are more noticeable because the base image is so stable and clean. You can use both FSR and NIS with sharpening within the OXR toolkit.

18 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Sounds as though you have something not quite right, 100% OXR is as clear as 150% steamvr on my machine and unless you're really struggling to get 45fps the motion smoothing isn't required. Running 60% gives me about 25fps uplift with sparingly small losses in clarity.

I get really bad artifacting with the OXR reprojection as well but as I'm well above 45fps, even at 100% it's not needed.

I also prefer to not use upscaling with OXR as it introduces a load of crawling shimmery ants which are more noticeable because the base image is so stable and clean. You can use both FSR and NIS with sharpening within the OXR toolkit.

With OXR Reprojection disabled and custom resolution at 100%, I am maintaining 60-80 FPS in most scenarios, but I still consider it worse than SteamVR's OXR or WMR set as OXR in SteamVR with motion smoothing due to significant tearing and jitter. When I run OXR at 100% custom resolution, yes the displays are clear but the tearing doesn't justify me using just OXR instead (not that significantly clearer than my previous setup with VRPerfKit anyway)

Edited by July

Yeah you shouldn't be getting any jitter or tearing of any kind, presume that your CPU times are good and not spiking?

Edited by edmuss

Just now, edmuss said:

Yeah you shouldn't be getting any jitter or tearing of any kind, presume that your CPU times are good and not spiking?

Yes, I have been benchmarking my results in Caucasus F-16 Free Flight and Syria F-16 Free Flight. CPU frametimes are sitting 7-9 on average.

World scale is adjustable via the in-game OXR toolkit menu.

8 minutes ago, July said:

Yes, I have been benchmarking my results in Caucasus F-16 Free Flight and Syria F-16 Free Flight. CPU frametimes are sitting 7-9 on average.

Might be worth dropping into the discord and asking the devs because what you're describing isn't normal.

Could it have been spiking in steamvr but you weren't aware because of reprojection?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, edmuss said:

World scale is adjustable via the in-game OXR toolkit menu.

Might be worth dropping into the discord and asking the devs because what you're describing isn't normal.

Could it have been spiking in steamvr but you weren't aware because of reprojection?

No, I have been watching the DCS in-game FPS counter and frametime overlay with the OpenXR Tools app without SteamVR, and advanced frame timings dev option in SteamVR. Neither show significant spiking during SP flight.

Either way, I'm not going to play without reprojection/smoothing off in DCS because it struggles to reach 90 FPS with the engine limitations, and OpenXR's implementation of reprojection in my opinion is much worse than SteamVR's.

Edited by July

Maybe I shouldn't exactly call it jittering. It's the effect you get that looks like ghosting when maneuvering and looking at another object and your FPS dips or reprojection turns off for a split second. So yes, tearing, but not stuttering caused by some kind of lag. It's based on what I see, not what the game engine is putting out in FPS.

Edited by July

You don't need reprojection in OXR though, honestly.

You're rendering at 45fps and OXR is just repeating any spare frames up until it hits the 45hz, then it gets the tracking data and sends the frame to the headset.

Have you got any odd vsync applied in nvcpl for DCS?

Did you clean and repair DCS?

Edited by edmuss