OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

3 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

will this openXR, Open composite work on other games? I did try it with another game but it did not seem to work.

there's a thread on the other WWII sim, regarding this.  for M$F$, openXR/toolkit work like a champ

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

3 hours ago, javelina1 said:

there's a thread on the other WWII sim, regarding this.  for M$F$, openXR/toolkit work like a champ

well was not sure if I should mention the game but it is a popular Space flight game.

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

1 hour ago, ColinM9991 said:

@edmuss FYI, I've updated my repository to factor in your opencomposite.ini changes, it'll do this as part of the build so the OvGME package will be ready out of the box. I've pushed a new GitHub release to make sure the package is correct.

I've also removed the version from the archive name as this was causing OvGME to fail. There is a VERSION.txt file, which is based off of the GitLab release version, so the update process can function normally.

Note that this is nothing to do with me, I'm just a user not a developer. I've not made any open composite changes, imho they should be left as they are from the release packages.

1 hour ago, ColinM9991 said:

@edmuss FYI, I've updated my repository to factor in your opencomposite.ini changes, it'll do this as part of the build so the OvGME package will be ready out of the box. I've pushed a new GitHub release to make sure the package is correct.

I've also removed the version from the archive name as this was causing OvGME to fail. There is a VERSION.txt file, which is based off of the GitLab release version, so the update process can function normally.

Note that this is nothing to do with me, I'm just a user not a developer. I've not made any open composite changes, imho they should be left as they are from the release packages.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

8 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Face-palm. I tagged the wrong user. Sorry

1 hour ago, tomeye said:

Yep...done that several times 🙂

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

@Sr.You don't have DCS in program files do you?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

3 minutes ago, edmuss said:

@Sr.You don't have DCS in program files do you?

Nope. On a separate NVME.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

That's that one out of the window then 😄

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Nope. On a separate NVME.

I had the same issue, and even if the keybinds weren't already used in DCS the menu failed to open. In the end I just randomly chose some keys, my arrow keys on my numpad which aren't mapped wouldn't work. No ideas. And some keys on my keyboard didn't even register in the OXR toolkit drop down select, very odd.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

47 minutes ago, zildac said:

I had the same issue, and even if the keybinds weren't already used in DCS the menu failed to open. In the end I just randomly chose some keys, my arrow keys on my numpad which aren't mapped wouldn't work. No ideas. And some keys on my keyboard didn't even register in the OXR toolkit drop down select, very odd.

I just tried a rip & replace of WMR, and the entire HP G2 setup... still no dice.

We have different GPUs, so at least I can scratch GPU or driver version off the list

This is beyond aggravating.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

An update on the issues I was having with motion reprojection in OXR.

I was getting bubbly distortion all over the screen when MR was engaged, something that I didn't have with steamvr.

Not entirely sure what has fixed it but I did the following: -

• Switched WMR4SVR to beta branch.
  • Set steamvr as the openxr runtime within SVR settings.
  • WMRP then gave a message stating that WMR isn't set to be the openxr runtime and to click here to fix it.
  • I clicked here.

And it's worked since 🙂

So if you have bubbly motion reprojection in OXR, try resetting the openxr runtime to SVR and then WMR in turn.

• Like 1

So ive been testing now for 3 days. It works really well for non CPU-limited stuff like solo flying. As soon as you play missions or multiplayer, the CPU or system stutters by DCS will make the experience worse due worse motion reprojection or lack of stable forced MR

If this can be fixed somehow, then openXR should work better for most people.

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

The MR is working on mine now, just spent 40 minutes bimbling round Caucasus with very little in the way of artifacts, it also seamlessly transitions from 90 to 45 to 30 whereas steamvr would hitch a little as it engaged MR.  Because it will step down to 30 now I can run 90Hz without the need to reduce settings to keep the framerates above 45fps.

Currently on 100% resolution, quality balanced FFR, DCS settings high with no upscaling or MSAA, MR always on and unlocked refresh rate.

Edited by edmuss

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

I was getting bubbly distortion all over the screen when MR was engaged, something that I didn't have with steamvr.

• WMRP then gave a message stating that WMR isn't set to be the openxr runtime and to click here to fix it.
  • I clicked here.

And it's worked since 🙂

So if you have bubbly motion reprojection in OXR, try resetting the openxr runtime to SVR and then WMR in turn.

I think I accomplished similar earlier when I uninstalled Steam version of WMRP and just installed it from the Microsoft store. 

Prior to, I had bubbly while using reprojection, now I still have repro enabled, but very little to no bubbly. I would put it on par now with SVR motion smoothing.

I'm running 110% render scale in OpenXT TK.

After the reinstall earlier I decided to open the DCS settings menu and select the "VR" button, which lowered all the settings to near minimum... I was curioous to see what it "looked" like. I was shocked.

So I went back to that tab and increased anisotropic filtering back to 16,  and 2x msaa and left it at that. And DCS looks better, cleaner than I've ever seen it. 

Now, I wish to hell I could get the toolkit to work so I can dig further in to this.

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

Experimental setting on, and select right eye only, see if the menu will pop up than.  I think on some headsets they are actually opening but they're way off the center outside of viewable range.  Initially I could only see the edge flash way to the upper left in my view field, basically not visible.   Single eye it was close enough to read and adjust to center using the menu option.  For me it's far easier to use with one eye.

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

I think I accomplished similar earlier when I uninstalled Steam version of WMRP and just installed it from the Microsoft store. 

Prior to, I had bubbly while using reprojection, now I still have repro enabled, but very little to no bubbly. I would put it on par now with SVR motion smoothing.

I'm running 110% render scale in OpenXT TK.

After the reinstall earlier I decided to open the DCS settings menu and select the "VR" button, which lowered all the settings to near minimum... I was curioous to see what it "looked" like. I was shocked.

So I went back to that tab and increased anisotropic filtering back to 16,  and 2x msaa and left it at that. And DCS looks better, cleaner than I've ever seen it. 

Now, I wish to hell I could get the toolkit to work so I can dig further in to this.

The registry is not deleted when you uninstall the toolkit. I suspect you have some weird ass settings in there. So remove the app. Go into the registry CTRL+F OpenXR Toolkit and delete all OpenXR Toolkit entries then install!

Alternatively (and what I actually recommend doing) is getting an application Called Revo Uninstaller and using that to uninstall the app completely (it searches for extra files and registry upon classic uninstallation)

Edited by nikoel

1 minute ago, nikoel said:

The registry is not deleted when you uninstall the toolkit. I suspect you have some weird ass settings in there. So remove the app. Go into the registry CTRL+F OpenXR Toolkit and delete all OpenXR Toolkit entries then install!

roger that

thanks

--Arthur C Clark

Wow. I'm impressed.

I'm not your typical VR user, as in, i'm running/suffering on pretty antiquated pc hardware at this point, a 5820K, with 32gbs of ram, a reverb G2, and wait for it  - an EVGA 970.

I've been wanting to upgrade my video card as I got the reverb g2 at launch, but alas due to first shortages, and now potentially waiting for the next gen - here I am.

I haven't been one to shy away from mods in the past using OVGME to install and remove them, I never have much to lose, it either works or it doesn't. Most don't offer any performance for my old card, but I did like VR Sharpen Color IGM V2, mostly for the contrast/sharpening in the cockpit.

Let me say this though, and caveat it with a few things, namely I'm at 60hz, and have never got to enjoy the clarity users of finer graphical card riches have enjoyed, so my experience is definitely not on par with some of yours... but wow! what a difference from running SteamVR,  first of all the load times are great, no flickering in the loading screens! NO Flickering! unbelievable, then I get into the sim, and i'm used to playing with Sub 20fps, I didn't look at what the FPS is now, but it is many steps above where it was before for me - a bit of jagged stuttery mess as you can imagine with such an old video card at the helm. 

I took off in the apache and hovered about and my jaw just dropped for my old 970 to play like this.  I'm still at 2x MSAA, and my custom render scale is at 35% (I was at 34% in SteamVR) and it still looks clearer than SteamVR ever did.  I can't wait to get a new video card, run at 90hz, and push the clarity way further.

well done to whichever team is behind this, and I really hope this is something ED can embrace and run with.

dburne, don't be scared of a mod, try it out with your many headsets!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Alternatively (and what I actually recommend doing) is getting an application Called Revo Uninstaller and using that to uninstall the app completely (it searches for extra files and registry upon classic uninstallation)

Guess not even Revo can get completely rid of it.
Before I uninstalled I changed the menu hot keys keys to non defaults, just to see if new install would revert back to the f2, f3 etc keys...
Ripped it out by the roots, all files etc using Revo.

Reinstalled... interface still configured with the key options I had set.

--Arthur C Clark

18 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Guess not even Revo can get completely rid of it.
Before I uninstalled I changed the menu hot keys keys to non defaults, just to see if new install would revert back to the f2, f3 etc keys...
Ripped it out by the roots, all files etc using Revo.

Reinstalled... interface still configured with the key options I had set.

I’ll PM you the chat we are using to communicate with the OpenXR toolkit devs 

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

Tried it on Oculus Quest2 and the improvement is very impressive with my pc spec:

rtx 2070ti

i5-10600kf @4.5GHz

32G ram 2666 ddr4

I had almost given up on DCS under vr before trying this,Unbearable fps and bad ASW by ouculus.

In particular, I really don't understand why the gpu usage is so low under vr(~53%)

The most obvious change from this api is that it completely increases gpu usage,now in a full 30 player server(4YA PVE)I can get 83% GPU usage on the deck of a supercarrier,

Also the frame rate is very stable and smooooth,my graphic setting is,

texture medium,

terrain textures low

Civ. Traffic off

water medium

visib range medium

shadows medium

msaa 2x and MFAA on

Clouds standard

I can't tell the pixel density because it bypasses steamVR after launch.Judging from my eyes that's at least 1.2.

I've been setting these things up these days so please trust my eyes.😀

The only problem for Quest 2 is:The curvature of the picture at the edge of the glasses is completely abnormal,

But I can definitely accept the distortion compared to the improvement it brings

In the case where the eye sees the picture as a circle, only the middle two-thirds of the picture is normal.

Personal irresponsible guess may be mainly to adapt to the G2 and other HMD.

This distortion I do not know if there is a way to adjust.

For Quest 2 users,follow OP instruction and please use the DCS Updater Utility by Skate Zilla.check the SteamVR Client in VR Interface Settings then there you go.

I'd like to be able to adjust the edge distortion value for Quest 2, I'm already reading the code.

Cheers

I'm not sure what you've done or even how you've done it, but I was under the impression that Oculus will talk to DCS with is own proprietary runtime which bypasses steamvr.  What this does is connect windows mixed reality to DCS in much the same way using openxr.

I would say, if you've got something that works and it's an improvement then that's great, however in not sure anyone will be able to help you with any issues.

58 minutes ago, zombiesyard said:

Tried it on Oculus Quest2 and the improvement is very impressive with my pc spec:

rtx 2070ti

i5-10600kf @4.5GHz

32G ram 2666 ddr4

I had almost given up on DCS under vr before trying this,Unbearable fps and bad ASW by ouculus.

In particular, I really don't understand why the gpu usage is so low under vr(~53%)

The most obvious change from this api is that it completely increases gpu usage,now in a full 30 player server(4YA PVE)I can get 83% GPU usage on the deck of a supercarrier,

Also the frame rate is very stable and smooooth,my graphic setting is,

texture medium,

terrain textures low

Civ. Traffic off

water medium

visib range medium

shadows medium

msaa 2x and MFAA on

Clouds standard

I can't tell the pixel density because it bypasses steamVR after launch.Judging from my eyes that's at least 1.2.

I've been setting these things up these days so please trust my eyes.😀

The only problem for Quest 2 is:The curvature of the picture at the edge of the glasses is completely abnormal,

But I can definitely accept the distortion compared to the improvement it brings

In the case where the eye sees the picture as a circle, only the middle two-thirds of the picture is normal.

Personal irresponsible guess may be mainly to adapt to the G2 and other HMD.

This distortion I do not know if there is a way to adjust.

For Quest 2 users,follow OP instruction and please use the DCS Updater Utility by Skate Zilla.check the SteamVR Client in VR Interface Settings then there you go.

I'd like to be able to adjust the edge distortion value for Quest 2, I'm already reading the code.

Cheers

@zombiesyardI wonder how you did it. Did you use WMR with Oculus ? I had used opencomposite in the past to bypass SteamVR and use the then compatible Reshade, but WMR is not of use with Quest2 

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

Having compared OpenXR on both a CPU and GPU limited pc, my sense is you see the most profound effect where it’s GPU limited, as it seems to be able to fully utilise the card. If your CPU is bottlenecking it doesn’t add much benefit. SteamVR is pretty poor at making the most of a high end graphics card. 

7 hours ago, edmuss said:

• I clicked here.

And it's worked since 🙂

I don't get it? So you are still using SteamVR? But with an OXR runtime?

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals