AMD 5800X3D, the new King for flight simulators?

maxsin72

Just ordered a 5800X3D.

Curious about the performance increase on my setup. Today with my 5800x and AMD PBO enabled I get single core boost clocks at 5.05ghz.

Do you guys run the X3D stock? Any performance increase when using PBO?

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

You can't use PBO on the x3D, completely locked down although you can tweak the bclk. Even voltage adjustments aren't freely available (unless recent BIOS updates have unlocked them).

There is a method of undervolting it in Windows using a separate app but it needs to be applied on every reboot; I have it set up on task scheduler to run every login. I think I've got -20mv across all cores and it reduced temperatures by a good amount allowing consistently higher boost clocks.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

2 hours ago, Willdass said:

Just ordered a 5800X3D.

Curious about the performance increase on my setup. Today with my 5800x and AMD PBO enabled I get single core boost clocks at 5.05ghz.

You probably won't reach 5Ghz with the 3D.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Listed boost clocks are 4.5, mine rarely goes past 4.45. Don't get hung up on the clock speed, that extra cache really does good things with DCS.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

2 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Listed boost clocks are 4.5, mine rarely goes past 4.45. Don't get hung up on the clock speed, that extra cache really does good things with DCS.

Mine tops at 4,55 most of the time with an AIO. I'm not using it for DCS currently though...

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Thx guys! 

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

21 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Mine tops at 4,55 most of the time with an AIO. I'm not using it for DCS currently though...

It could be thermals causing my slightly slower peak speeds but winding the fans right up didn't improve it at all and temps aren't too bad at mid 60s.

I'm not hugely concerned about it 🙂

5 hours ago, Willdass said:

Just ordered a 5800X3D.

I'm running a 5800x as well and I'm super curious what increases you see moving to the 5800x3d. Please post an update when you've had a chance to pla around a bit.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

I’m still trying to decide between Noctua D-15 vs 280mm AIO for the cooling. Don’t really need anything fancy since I might upgrade again in a year or so.  What do you guys think?

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I wouldn’t buy an AIO again. I have a very large custom waterloop at home, which is great for cooling and noise IF you like fiddling with stuff and see the expenses as hobby. I bought the AIO for my mini-Atx case in the office because it wouldn’t fit the D-15 or a Darkrock Pro. But I would prefer either of them over the AIO.

btw, they are rated 250W each so will cope easily with the X3D.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Supmua said:

I’m still trying to decide between Noctua D-15 vs 280mm AIO for the cooling. Don’t really need anything fancy since I might upgrade again in a year or so.  What do you guys think?

I love the Noctua air coolers, easily among the best available. But if you have money to burn and you want to maximize cpu overclock with stable temperatures, the AIO is still far more effective than the best air cooling. I have two older i5s running on Noctuas that permit modest overclocking while being stable, but my AMD 5800x is on AIO and runs wide open at max overclock on multiple cores without any temperature issues at all.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

44 minutes ago, Hartsblade said:

I'm running a 5800x as well and I'm super curious what increases you see moving to the 5800x3d. Please post an update when you've had a chance to pla around a bit.

Will do! The purchase was very spontaneus and I have already sold my 5800x so I won't be able to do proper comparison testing, but will definetly report back on "the feel". 

My biggest gripe with the 5800x is the frame drops on the ground and carrier, hopefully the X3D will improve that.

42 minutes ago, Supmua said:

I love Noctua. For air cooling they are the way to go. That being said I'm a big fan of AIO's, especially for the 5800x. My suggestion would be to go with an AIO, but if your case and budget allow move up to a 360mm over a 240mm.

8 minutes ago, Willdass said:

Will do! The purchase was very spontaneus and I have already sold my 5800x so I won't be able to do proper comparison testing, but will definetly report back on "the feel". 

My biggest gripe with the 5800x is the frame drops on the ground and carrier, hopefully the X3D will improve that.

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

Edited by Hartsblade
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

38 minutes ago, streakeagle said:

I love the Noctua air coolers, easily among the best available. But if you have money to burn and you want to maximize cpu overclock with stable temperatures, the AIO is still far more effective than the best air cooling. I have two older i5s running on Noctuas that permit modest overclocking while being stable, but my AMD 5800x is on AIO and runs wide open at max overclock on multiple cores without any temperature issues at all.

I plan to get a airflow case like Factual Design Torrent so naturally, I am going with Noctua also. I am not sure I would like putting extra effort to refill the AIO some years later.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

51 minutes ago, Supmua said:

I would just run any decent air cooler in the x3d. You can't really overclock it so an AIO will give zero performance enhancement. Personally I run water cooling on my GPU, top exhausted, which keeps the heat out of the case. My x3d under gaming loads stays nice and cool with a simple tower cooler and a single lazy fan pushing the heat out the back. Extremely quiet and case temp is basically room temp. Cpu temp is maybe 60-70c.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal

1 minute ago, ackattacker said:

I would just run any decent air cooler in the x3d. You can't really overclock it so an AIO will give zero performance enhancement. Personally I run water cooling on my GPU, top exhausted, which keeps the heat out of the case. My x3d under gaming loads stays nice and cool with a simple tower cooler and a single lazy fan pushing the heat out the back. Extremely quiet and case temp is basically room temp. Cpu temp is maybe 60-70c.

The default AMD programming allows cores to overclock as temperature and current limits permit. I started out using a Noctua with my 5800X and moved to the AIO. I saw immediate improvements in the AMD auto overclocking allowed. At least 4 of my cores can hit max clock speeds at any one time using default AMD programming with the AIO. I never saw more than one core at max with the Noctua.

I don't have a 5800X3d, so I can't say the AIO would provide any benefit over the Noctua in clock speeds, but I can say that the AIO does provide a lot more cooling whether beneficial or not.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 minute ago, streakeagle said:

The default AMD programming allows cores to overclock as temperature and current limits permit. I started out using a Noctua with my 5800X and moved to the AIO. I saw immediate improvements in the AMD auto overclocking allowed. At least 4 of my cores can hit max clock speeds at any one time using default AMD programming with the AIO. I never saw more than one core at max with the Noctua.

I don't have a 5800X3d, so I can't say the AIO would provide any benefit over the Noctua in clock speeds, but I can say that the AIO does provide a lot more cooling whether beneficial or not.

What I am saying is that the x3d doesn't exhibit this behavior. The max boost is hardware locked and cooling the cpu "extra" behind what is required to avoid throttling is just a waste of money to no benefit. This is even more true with DCS which is basically a single core workload that doesn't push the thermal limits at all. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800x3d, 64gb, MSI RTX4090 Suprim , Sidewinder FFB with F16 grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG crosswind pedals. Pimax Crystal

As far as I understand the 5800x3D isn’t meant to be OC, so I’m thinking the Noctua might suffice.  I actually have the Noctua in my 11700K rig and the performance is pretty good with mild OC, it’s quieter than my rig with AIO cooler.  The pricing of the Noctua and a 280mm cooler (Arctic is the one I’m looking at) is actually the same.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I use a thermalright truespirit 140 on mine (I hacked the bracket to fit the AM4 socket) with a single fan, it's silent and doesn't seem to struggle 🙂

An AIO is more prone to break down eventually (mine did), whereas a huge block air cooler like the Noctua will never die (the fans could, they can be replaced). Also case depth and RAM clearance are things to watch out for with big air coolers.

I have had both, I prefer air cooling.

Zyll @ TAW

I’m not sure what I prefer as I have had good experiences with both but might just go with the Noctua this round for simplicity’s sake.

3 hours ago, Willdass said:

From a 3800x running 4.3Ghz to a stock 5800X3D I went from ~28FPS to ~38FPS looking from CAT 1 to tower in VR  (F2 View).  Options NOT at minimum...  but all the same options between CPU's.

Looking forwards from Cat 1 in the exact same session...  85FPS.  It won't "solve" the low FPS issues looking at the tower and while on the ground...  but 38 is way better than 28 :).

Edited by M1Combat
  • Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Well, watching many 2D of i5 13600K, the new i5 wins almost all except on MSFS in where the AMD has a slight lead (I don't want to mention the 7600X 😞 )

Waiting to see how this fare against the i5 in VR, may be I should start another thread.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

30 minutes ago, Supmua said:

I’m not sure what I prefer as I have had good experiences with both but might just go with the Noctua this round for simplicity’s sake.

If you want kind of best of both worlds, might check out the IceGiant ProSiphon Elite -- kind of big, but cooling as good (or better) than a big AIO without the pump using gravity/thermosiphon, so only moving parts are the fans.

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

As far as I understand the 5800x3D isn’t meant to be OC, so I’m thinking the Noctua might suffice.  I actually have the Noctua in my 11700K rig and the performance is pretty good with mild OC, it’s quieter than my rig with AIO cooler.  The pricing of the Noctua and a 280mm cooler (Arctic is the one I’m looking at) is actually the same.

FWIW 5800X3D can be overclocked via a couple different methods to as high as 4.7+ GHz with certain motherboards (ASUS X570 Crosshair for sure, possibly others).

• Like 1

As I understand there are also boards that can just straight up overclock it with a new BIOS revision.  Doesn't matter though...  the gains from it's solid boost clocks once it's under volted are "just fine".

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)