Auto Hover disengaging other autopilot functions

skoiboy

I seem to have a problem with the auto hover causing the other autopilot features to blink and turn off. Looking at previous threads with this issue I haven't been able to come up with a solution.

The situation is, cold start/auto startup/hover at 50km and press the autohover feature, then it turns everything else off and I crash. Any thoughts? Attached is a video example.

autohover.trk

That will happen if you engage the Autohover-AP and are too low to the ground. I don't have the manual handy to reference but their is a minimum height (20 meters maybe?) you must be at BEFORE you engage Autohover, otherwise it will do what you are seeing.

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

You know, its weird, because when I first started playing I thought I noticed the same thing on occasion. The bird would start acting very loose and I would look down and notice all three AP channel disengaged. It got so bad that I maped an emergency AP re-engage button to automatically turn them all back on, but over the past week or so I have not seen it occur since. The only thing I could think of was that I might have had something else on my HOTAS mismapped and was engaging the emergency AP override or something. Either way, I haven't noticed it occuring in all my recent flights/missions and campaigns.

As I said above, the only way I see it "really" happen now is if I try to engage Autohover very low to the ground. If you do that, you will see all three channel buttons blink and then turn off.

Maybe there is something else that could cause them to disengage though that is happening to you?

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

Well, I normally see this (AP disengage) happen when I try to engage autohover lower than 3m (it does not work lower than that - safety requirements). Strangely enough the chanells blink as if they would come on again when you climb over 3m but instead they disengage completely there, I don't know if it is a bug or feature. So you engage AH when conditions are not met (you are lower than 3m) - you get chanels off, the emergency autopilot disengage button does the same.

Maybe there are some other conditions when you should not engage auto-hover?

Edited by 72AG_terror

C уважением, terror

I also get some weird result with the auto-hover.

I found that it's safer to engage it when bellow 5kph and quickly reset the trim as to prevent the aircraft from manuvering wildly to return to the set position.

It's also important to turn the auto hover off before manuvering out of the hover and it's a good thing to quickly check if the 3 computer assist lights are on and working. Turning off the hold altitude assist make it easyer to get manuvering at speed too.

Ive had a similar issue with it. Im finding autopilot modes on/off seemingly at random not set by me. Spent a while trying to fly and fight it, found out auto hover was on. After using it flew for a boat, checked and found all AP modes were off. There is no engage/disengage audible warning unfortunately.

I figured out the problem, or at least what the problem is in the track you posted.

Your INU is not yet done aligning itself.

I was able to duplicate your issue by doing everything just like you did it, but after recoving and re-entering a hover, it started working fine. It continued to work fine for several more auto-hover attempts. Finally, on a whim, I just turned off the INU while in a hover, and it did exactly what you described: the alt hold channel stayed on, but pitch, bank, and roll started flashing and the aircraft got all wonky.

• Like 1

Well, I normally see this (AP disengage) happen when I try to engage autohover lower than 3m (it does not work lower than that - safety requirements). Strangely enough the chanells blink as if they would come on again when you climb over 3m but instead they disengage completely there, I don't know if it is a bug or feature. So you engage AH when conditions are not met (you are lower than 3m) - you get chanels off, the emergency autopilot disengage button does the same.

Maybe there are some other conditions when you should not engage auto-hover?

autopilot blink(and disenage)happens when you took too much pitch, whn you are too low, when you engage autohover before speed is displayed in your HUD(right after ramp).:thumbup:

I can only imagine all the juicy tid bits that are going to be in the enhanced manual!

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

I figured out the problem, or at least what the problem is in the track you posted.

Your INU is not yet done aligning itself.

I was able to duplicate your issue by doing everything just like you did it, but after recoving and re-entering a hover, it started working fine. It continued to work fine for several more auto-hover attempts. Finally, on a whim, I just turned off the INU while in a hover, and it did exactly what you described: the alt hold channel stayed on, but pitch, bank, and roll started flashing and the aircraft got all wonky.

TY for research, I've had this happen a few times too.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

Myself and a squad mate have both found autohover to somewhat randomly dissengage from a stable hover, often with a rapid pitch/yaw/roll deviation and associated unusual attitude. . .of course this is usually when I've gone head down and am using the shkval or abris. . .I usually keep the attitude indicator in sight when head down for this reason.

I appreciate the detective work regarding the INU - but I still wonder if all instances where this happens is due to that, simply because it happens even after extended flights, on the second and third auto-hover, and generally after alignment should be assured. We had come to the conclusion that we must have some sort of controls conflict - but since it happened to more than one of us, we started to look for something else.

Edited by TX-EcoDragon

S! TX-EcoDragon

inertial navigation unit...

needs an accurate coordinate to fix your position...

uses your instruments to calculate your new position, such as; change in speed/velocity, horizontal/vertical angles, and time...

problem is, over time it is not so accurate, misjudgements of time, angles and such start to have major impact on accuracy.

Your INU must be realigned every so often to 'fix'/'cure' your coordinates.

Its located on the bottom right-hand panel.

"Your INU must be realigned every so often to 'fix'/'cure' your coordinates"

Realigning is not quite right that is a long and involved process, I think you mean updating whereby accumulated position and velocity errors are removed or zeroed. :)

Thanks for the heads up ref the INU. I figured it had to be something like that as it only seems to happen when starting from cold & dark. Another thing I've noticed about the hover is that it is affected by buildings especially when they are directly underneath you. I think the manual only scratches the surface.

BC

• 2 months later...