I Can`t decide on what to buy. The F-18 with Super carrier or the AH-64? I have the A10-C II and maybe something different from a tank killer will be best?

Nanliza

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 1:33 PM, unlikely_spider said:

I'll add to the advice provided by the above posters:

1) if you would like to fly a jet from an aircraft carrier, then I'd suggest the Hornet and Super carrier over the AH-64

2) if you would like to fly a helicopter, then I believe the AH-64 provides more of a helicopter experience than the Hornet and Super carrier

Let me know if this helps, I will be willing to address follow up questions.

lol I wonder what would happen if you could hook up the AH64 to the carrier catapult wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Like 1

I have a little experience with the F/A-18C which I find more complex than the Hog but also very versatile and fun to fly.
I have clocked a lot of flight hours with the KA-50 helicopter and feel quite comfortable with it. So I believed that the Apache would not be too difficult.
I was wrong. Flying the Apache is nothing like flying the Black Shark. There is the complexity of the two-seat helicopter, and the handling is quite different.
I use a VRP MongoosT-50 stick (no extension) for the cyclic, and the TM Warthog throttle for the collective, plus MFG Crosswind rudder pedals. This is not ideal for flying a helicopter but it works surprisingly well with the KA-50. This helicopter has a very effective stabilization system which helps me compensate for the shortcoings of my stick and throttle when used for a chopper.
Unfortunately this set of controls does not work well for me when I fly the Apache. This might in part be due to the fact that some of the stabilzation functionality is WIP, and in part to my incompetence. This thing would probably be more fun to fly with proper cyclic and collective sticks, but I'm not going to make that investment. I hope that the Apache will become more manageable as the development progresses, but for the time being I don't fly it much.
I have also come to the conclusion that I will not buy any new module before I have taken it through the trial period.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Carrier ops is a massive thing in and of itself. Since a young age, I've wanted to have a sim that does this in a realistic way, this is the earliest that my expectations have been met. To sit in VR, on that carrier deck, with the canopy open, the wind rushing across the deck, the sun glinting off the sea.......it's incredible what they've done. The Apache is great, it should definitely be on your list, but operating a high performance aircraft off a boat stirs the soul.

Side note: I still kind of suck at operating a high performance aircraft off a boat. The challenge is never ending.

• Like 2

You've posted this in the Apache thread, so I'm going to offer an opinion which may be unpopular here - I don't like the Apache.

There, I said it.  I'm not criticising ED's incredible effort in producing the module, it really is one of their best, but as a single player experience I am not a fan of the platform.  I find it overly complicated and the George AI is poorly implemented in VR.  Perhaps this has been improved since release but I haven't been back to check.  The Apache is not a light nimble helicopter and is quite dull to fly compared with some other DCS Helicopters.  If you have a regular MP gunner, I am sure it would be a very different experience, but I found myself going straight back to the Gazelle and Mi-8 for my rotary fix.

As for the Hornet - it is probably the module offering the widest breadth of combat flying variety.  Carrier or land-based, A/A or A/G, BVR or phone box, stand-off smart weapons or rippling Mk82s, CAS, SEAD/DEAD or anti-shipping.  The Hornet is the one module which really can do it all.

• Like 3

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Moving from fixed wing to rotary is akin to a lifestyle change. I will admit that learning the AH64 was one of the easier modules, thats only because I was very familiar with the other helicopters in the sim and already knew how to fly helicopters for the most part. If you know the A-10C fairly well, then you can learn the tech side of the AH64 fairly fast but learning to fly it is something else. Its also one of those modules that really require having a second person flying with you. Just keep that last piece of info in mind.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

On 6/14/2022 at 10:24 AM, Lace said:

You've posted this in the Apache thread, so I'm going to offer an opinion which may be unpopular here - I don't like the Apache.

There, I said it.  I'm not criticising ED's incredible effort in producing the module, it really is one of their best, but as a single player experience I am not a fan of the platform.  I find it overly complicated and the George AI is poorly implemented in VR.  Perhaps this has been improved since release but I haven't been back to check.  The Apache is not a light nimble helicopter and is quite dull to fly compared with some other DCS Helicopters.  If you have a regular MP gunner, I am sure it would be a very different experience, but I found myself going straight back to the Gazelle and Mi-8 for my rotary fix.

As for the Hornet - it is probably the module offering the widest breadth of combat flying variety.  Carrier or land-based, A/A or A/G, BVR or phone box, stand-off smart weapons or rippling Mk82s, CAS, SEAD/DEAD or anti-shipping.  The Hornet is the one module which really can do it all.

Agree on the Hornet, I so love flying carrier ops off the Super Carrier. Great fun. I love flying SP campaigns like this.

But also starting to really get into the Apache now so I am sort of dividing my time between the two. Have spent a lot of hours just training in it, and this mainly from the Pilot seat.   I would say though still the Hornet is number 1 for me at this time with the Apache being a nice diversion and change of pace.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|