Recommended settings for UV26 Flare dispenser

BaD CrC

Well, everything's in the title. I read the 383 pages of the manual and I believe there is no recommandation about which program to use on the UV26 according to the threat encountered.

Do you guys have any preferred settings (nb of sequence/number of flares/time delay)?

Any chance to have feedback from DCS dev experts?

Thanks.

I use either 2-2-2 or 2-3-2 programs, always from both wings. Seems to be a good balance of probability of spoofing the missile while conserving flares.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I use either 2-2-2 or 2-3-2 programs, always from both wings. Seems to be a good balance of probability of spoofing the missile while conserving flares.

LOL, i want to hear THAT sentence from one sitting in the real shark while having a missile inbound :)

maybe then it's more like ALL OF THEM - IN ONCE - 0.01 SECONDS!!!

Democracy is choice, not freedom...

Pretty good setup when you're not sure you'll be able to spot a launch.

Too many people rely on being able to spot the launch, and then launch flares reactively.

As missiles get better, that will get ... riskier - you want to fool the seeker BEFORE the missile is even launched.

I often use 7-1-8 if in unsecure areas.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You can use the preventive one to react as well, and then hit the stop sequence button once the threat passes.

You may also reconfigure according to flight plan.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I use a 3-3-1 set up but after reading this thread I think it might be too reactive as I burn through my stores pretty quick once I'm under fire. This game really makes me wonder why aircraft are not mounted with far more flares than they are - never mind 64 in each wing, give me 128! Nay 256! As Manpads are undetectable active dumping of flares is essential, but not entirely feasible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

That reminds me... how realistic are manpands? What I have read modern manpads are very, very hard to spoof after lock (more than one seeker head and they remember "right" spectrum).

Atleast sofar I havent been shot down from manpands (but several times from AT-missiles and tank guns. I hover too much...) ;)

It really depends on the type of missile used.

Russian manpads would use SA16/SA18 Igla missile with a poor kill probability (around 50%), but as SA16 cost is pretty low, they can afford to launch two for the price of one western type missile (stinger or mistral) hence having a pretty good kill probability overall.

Flares are a real problem for IR tracking ground to air missiles (obviously :P) as the manoeuvrability is pretty bad and they cannot U turn if they realise they got the wrong target (as seen in J Bond movies :huh:), but there are other guidance system like laser beam riding missiles (i.e the UK Starstreak) for which flare would have no effect, and with its mach 3.5 top speed, you have about 1,5 seconds to live from launch detection.:cry:

Well, that's just from my experience in real life, don't know about the models of manpads in BS. :smartass:

Russian manpads would use SA16/SA18 Igla missile with a poor kill probability (around 50%), but as SA16 cost is pretty low, they can afford to launch two for the price of one western type missile (stinger or mistral) hence having a pretty good kill probability overall.

"Tests in Finland have shown that in comparison with the French Mistral, the 9K38 Igla has inferior range and seeker sensitivity and smaller warhead, but it has a superior resistance to countermeasures."

Thats from wikipedia, but I have heard finnish operators talk and their opinion is that after lock SA18 is very hard to spoof (It wont go after flares usually). Ofcourse if target is dropping flares, then getting lock first place is hard ;)

I think they are reasonably representative of the threat you would face.

I have to disagree. If I hover and manpands are launched, I can launch flares and they pretty much always miss (Iglas atleast, but start of the campaing they might be SA-16 which are inferior to SA-18 missiles). If those were SA-7 (or redeyes) I could understand...

I think more correct method would be that you would have to drop flares before so that they could not lock on you first place (as SA-18 seeker would try to lock at flare most of the time).

Edited by MiG-77

"Tests in Finland have shown that in comparison with the French Mistral, the 9K38 Igla has inferior range and seeker sensitivity and smaller warhead, but it has a superior resistance to countermeasures."

Thats from wikipedia, but I have heard finnish operators talk and their opinion is that after lock SA18 is very hard to spoof (It wont go after flares usually). Ofcourse if target is dropping flares, then getting lock first place is hard ;)

Well, it is possible indeed. I went for business to visit the place where they are manufacturing Igla, about 100km from Moscow. That was 9 years ago I think. I got this information from their sales guy. Maybe they improved IR seeker since.

By the way, here is a video of a manpad stinger fired at a Hind : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVqHZ08uzbU&NR=1

Edited by BaD CrC

That reminds me... how realistic are manpands? What I have read modern manpads are very, very hard to spoof after lock (more than one seeker head and they remember "right" spectrum).

Atleast sofar I havent been shot down from manpands (but several times from AT-missiles and tank guns. I hover too much...) ;)

To get the "skinny" on this read some accounts of Hinds in the Afgan war.

The guys on the ground had hand held missles and the Hinds did not have a chance, The pieces fell out of the air like snowflakes!

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals