Is Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D9 to slow?

Go to solution Solved by Ala13_ManOWar,

nullThe picture is from the reference book, page 384: The secret horsepower race -> Calume Douglas. These spesifications are difficult to read so I have taken the liberty to interpret the picture from the book with the Fw 190 D9's speed at sea level from your game - 560 kph, and claims of topspeed i higher altitude of 680-690 kph from many internet pages- se the drawing. 

I know that this may not be proof, but it indicates strongly that Fw 190 D9 have rom for more development. 

So to whom it may consern: Please, please update the Fw 190 D9 so it can take its place as one of the best fighters of the war and the best fighter on the german side. We vil all profit from that. 

Yours arey51

image.jpeg

Drawing inspired bye the secret horsepower race.jpg

• Solution

Actually, the DCS Dora reaches the sort of mythical 610Km/H at sea level it should. It does, I've tested it myself. But, you have to set the correct atmospheric conditions since indicated air speed (IAS) is a thing, and true air speed (TAS) which usually charts refers to is a completely different one, so you won't ever see those 610Km/H at the dial unless atmospheric conditions are the right ones. Otherwise, the speed is there (TAS) you just don't see 610 indicated (IAS) but any other thing (lower than 610, but algo higher on certain conditions). If you correct your 560Km/H IAS with the atmospheric values you had when you tested it you will get the real TAS (610 probably, or close).

TAS calculator

Play with that tool if you like, but be advised you'll have to use correct values, measuring units, and everything, otherwise calculated results can be quite messy and weird.

• Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

4 hours ago, Are Yttergård said:

Thank you. Will try that.  I allways turn on my MW50. 

Like said above you need to set 1013.25 hPa and 15C, higher temp and lower pressure will impact engine power.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Temperature, if you are testing plane at temps 25 Celsius or more at SL, expect that plane will perform noticeable worse, only positive fact is that guy on your 6 breath the same air so his performance is downgraded too 😛

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

5 minutes ago, Are Yttergård said:

I dont undestand. What do you mean when you say set the temperature to 15C?

In mission editor you can set pressure and temp at SL if you want to compare plane's performance from charts you need to set this standard atmosphere parameters in mission editor other wise you will always end up with different scores.

Take note that higher air temp degrade engine power faster then lower air temp improving it.

Edited by grafspee

9 hours ago, Are Yttergård said:

I dont undestand. What do you mean when you say set the temperature to 15C?

For you to "see" an indicated air speed (IAS) at the actual gauge you must set all the atmospheric conditions to the correct "standard" ones, and those are called ISA conditions (International Standard Atmosphere). ISA conditions are 15ºC and 1013mb. Try that at sea level, then you can say if Dora reaches it's maximum published top speed at sea level, or not. Any other conditions means inaccurate results, not comparable to the charts you showed here.

Anyhow, remember German charts are kind of a mystery, they weren't standardised the same way as we're talking here, they weren't homogeneous, they don't say what conditions were taken or they meant (I have the suspicion that engineers used those kind of "faked" charts to show good results even when they didn't get good results), and that's a huge problem either. But in any case, if you don't test under ISA conditions everything talked here is irrelevant to start with.

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

13 minutes ago, Are Yttergård said:

Adjustet hPa to 1012 from the brifing with WM50 on in Free flight from instant action. Toppspeed was 500 kph. Why can't I reach higher speed?

What altitude? 

The speed the aircraft shows to you greatly depends on the altitude/densitiy. 

The airspeed it shows does not equal the actual speed relative to ground (exception if you are at sea level under ISA conditions). You need to convert from IAS to TAS if you want to see your actual speed compared to ground (without wind) 

Edited by razo+r

https://aerotoolbox.com/airspeed-conversions/

Fw190 has speedometer which is showing indicated air speed in km/h. And speed matches true air speed only at SL at ISA conditions. IAS speed is very important for the pilot, if for example stall speed is 150km/h it remain the same across wide range of alt for IAS speedometer, if speedometer was showing TAS, pilot would have to recalculate values for every different alt and memories it to avoid stalling airplane.

Edited by grafspee