Valid trackfiles cannot be designated immediately

Harker

@Flappiecan you help to investigate/report the issue please?

Two youtube videos showing the bug (i.e. (1) cannot designate a trackfile into L+S target; (2) undesignate button cannot switch between primary and secondary target) can be found in the above threads. Many thanks.

• BIGNEWY locked this topic
  • 1 month later...

The implementation in DCS is currently incorrect, it prevents you from designating until some arbitrary lower range.

IRL you should be able to designate a track file immediately once it is created. In DCS this means a track file with radar contribution since the capability of the Hornet to designate offboard track files doesn't exist in DCS yet.

Normally you can detect a fighter around 48nm in DCS but cannot designate until 44nm (also missing probability of detection, IRL there would be some chance to detect sooner or later, the lack of probability of detection removes the point of a lot of meld mechanics)

In your video the contact is slightly below you which now also adds the unrealistic look down penalty which is why you don't detect until about 32nm (hard to see the exact numbers on my phone) and can't designate until about 28nm. IRL the look-down penalty should be much much less drastic, e.g. if normally you detect a threat at 48nm (based on DCS) co-alt, you should be able to see them at 500ft (hot, over land) at around ~42nm (if they were over water the look down would be negligible)

• Like 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

• 2 months later...

I find that in order to lock targets on the radar I need to repeatedly mash the TDC button. Is this behavior normal?

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

There's multiple ways to designate or lock targets on the radar. To designate L&S, you can either TDC Depress over a valid trackfile, or use the NWS/Undesignate switch on the stick to cycle the L&S through all valid trackfiles. To command STT, you can TDC Depress over the L&S, SCS Right to command STT via AACQ, or SCS Right with a valid trackfile under the cursor.

TDC Depress behavior was also corrected a little while back so that a short press will set RWS scan center.

There's also a reported issue regarding trackfiles not being able to be designated once they become valid: 

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

58 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

There's multiple ways to designate or lock targets on the radar. To designate L&S, you can either TDC Depress over a valid trackfile, or use the NWS/Undesignate switch on the stick to cycle the L&S through all valid trackfiles. To command STT, you can TDC Depress over the L&S, SCS Right to command STT via AACQ, or SCS Right with a valid trackfile under the cursor.

TDC Depress behavior was also corrected a little while back so that a short press will set RWS scan center.

There's also a reported issue regarding trackfiles not being able to be designated once they become valid: 

Yes I understand how the radar works. That bug is what I’m experiencing. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5