Is it going to be worth going 3090 to 4090?

Digitalvole

Well crap all my testing is now on hold, appears my VKB Gunfighter Mk III has gone tits up on me. Have new Virpil gear coming but it has not gotten close to shipping yet. Terrible timing ugh. Just get a 4090 and now can not flight sim.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Well crap all my testing is now on hold, appears my VKB Gunfighter Mk III has gone tits up on me. Have new Virpil gear coming but it has not gotten close to shipping yet. Terrible timing ugh. Just get a 4090 and now can not flight sim.

Oh mate, that is a grim twist of fate. Is there no one you could borrow from? or just buy a cheap thrustmaster in the mean time?

Im finding out that my future is in the Harrier, I can’t give up the 90fps with motion smoothing disabled. Looks so good a smooth as silk (90% of the time).

Though motion smoothing is better in SVR the image is clearer in OpenXR so I’m sticking with that. Would be amazing if the motion smoothing was as good as SVR, it’s a bit much in OpenXR. Alternatively being able to disable/enable it via the F2 menu would be perfect, hint hint. (May be impossible, I have no idea)

Edited by Digitalvole

Luckily I was able to get the Gunfighter back reflashing the firmware.

Not sure what happened there, I had gone in and set up controls in IL-2 to test this new GPU out, after exiting I went back in DCS and all my controls were messed up. Checked the VKB software and they were all messed up in there. Very strange.

All is ok now.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 month later...

I upgraded my old system in January form an Intel i7 9700k, 32g DDR4 and a 2080ti to an i9 13900k, 32g DDR 5 and kept my 2080ti in hopes that card prices would settle.  As of now, I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade the 2080ti anytime soon.  The biggest difference I have ever seen to my performance came for that new 13th gen chip.  The problem with buying a new 4080 or 4090 which was my plan is that I'm seeing very little difference in performance in benchmarks I'm watching of those cards over my 2080ti in flight sims.  I'm running the sim in 2k with SMAA with all the candy turned on and it runs smooth as butter.  I've now tested my present system using the torture test mission available for DCS and I'm seeing very similar frame rates to the videos testing 40 series cards if not better in some cases due to the fact I'm running the new chip and they are not.  They have a 4080 or 4090 and I have a 2080ti but my 13th gen chip is doing almost all of the work.

I recently watched a benchmark video which compared the 2080ti vs 3080ti vs 4080 vs 4090.  The test showed MSFS 2020 (also CPU limited) in 2k Ultra settings.  The AVERAGE FPS was surprisingly as follows:  RTX 4090 - 53,  RTX 4080 - 53,   RTX - 3080ti - 52 and finally RTX 2080ti - 50.  There is virtually no difference in performance between all of these cards due to the sims being CPU bound.  This is an obvious issue that ED is trying to fix with the core updates.  From what I've seen though DLSS 2 is going to do next to nothing.  DLSS 3 is where the performance gains are and they are the reason to have a 40 series card.

I would spend more time thinking about the chip decision over the card decision right now.  I've seen tests where the present 3d chips are definitely bottlenecking the 40 series cards.

It has been startling seeing how little difference the new cards make for sims other than power draw.  They do wonders for everything else but if I'm only going to gain 3fps for a 2 thousand dollar investment in sim games I have to take a pause.

Simply look at GPU utilization on your PC. If you don't see your current GPU working at 100%, then there's not much to be gained from buying a more powerful one.

Unless your target is playing MSFS with a fast monitor (120Hz and above) and not VR. Then DLSS Frame Generation in 4000 series cards makes a huge difference. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

If you flight a lot in MSFS, 40 series card will make game so so much smooth with dlss3 it's like night and day. But in terms of fps, you won't gain that much unless you use 4k or more.

I had 3080 and 9900k and upgraded to a 5800x3d and 4090 and I'd say, on 2D, there is not much difference in 2k gaming. VR or higer resolutions, that's another thing. I could not use apache on sinlge player most of the instant actions missions prior to change to a 4090. Also 5800x3d helped a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nightstalker said:

I'm not sure I'm going to upgrade the 2080ti anytime soon

If you are playing at 2k, then I agree that you do not need to empty your wallet for a 40 series card.  Just don't try any VR headset playing DCS and you will be fine. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

I have no idea about flat screen in DCS (never tried it) but my 4090 has made a hell of a difference in VR.

I have to say updating to 2.8 did take the shine off it a bit, 2.7 I was seeing 90fps more often than not, but hopefully MT will improve matters.

Talking of which, are we likely to see an uplift in GPU frame times from MT?

Edited by Digitalvole

I don't have any immediate intention of getting into VR (never say never) but I am considering getting an ultrawide 2k monitor.  I'm hesitant to go 4k because I don't want to start chasing FPS again.  I almost went for the 4070ti, as it is gives the same performance as a 3090ti in 2k and it might give me enough breathing room for an ultrawide.  My constant hang up is, buy the 4090 and be done with it along with future proofing for ultrawide or VR, or buy a 4070ti for half the price and be more ok with changing it again in 2 yrs for a 5070ti? The 4080 seems like the ugly step sister nobody really wants.

I'm fortunate to be able to afford the 4090 but that doesn't mean I'm not wasting money with massive overkill for almost all games when playing in 2k.  If the 4090 doesn't improve my overall FPS in DCS and MSFS in 2k I may just be throwing money away.

Some time ago, I had a 2080ti and this was great as I could finally fly in 4k with a good level of details.  Then, I got myself a 60" screen and the experience was amazing with TrackIR.  DCS is the closest we can get to fly in combat airframes and we all want to experience it in the most immersive way.  The technology is evolving and it is bringing us closer to the real experience and this is great.

Stepping into VR was incredible, I've been flightsiming since the first version of MSFS and nothing has made such a huge difference than going VR.  I wish to everyone to try VR and enjoy the immersion level.  Unfortunately it is very costly and demanding.  

• Like 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

4 minutes ago, WipeUout said:

DCS is the closest we can get to fly in combat airframes and we all want to experience it in the most immersive way.  The technology is evolving and it is bringing us closer to the real experience and this is great.

Stepping into VR was incredible, I've been flightsiming since the first version of MSFS and nothing has made such a huge difference than going VR.  I wish to everyone to try VR and enjoy the immersion level.  Unfortunately it is very costly and demanding.  

Couldn’t agree more

• Like 1

I will say that I just built a 4090/7950x3D system and finally got around to DCS tonight. I tried, with much wishful thinking, to run high settings with no MR, but I just can't stomach 60-70 fps. Too much tearing and stuttering for me. 

On the bright side, using Open Composite to bypass SVR and setting unlocked MR in OpenXR Toolkit, I was able to crank things up and held a rock solid 45 fps for the most part with the very, very occasional dip to 30fps via reprojection. Which was still smooth of course. This was just whizzing around low through Persian Gulf cities for the most part. Things looked fantastic and I look forward to not tinkering much anymore until some multi-threading comes out. Settings attached. 

DCS.png

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

13 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

I will say that I just built a 4090/7950x3D system and finally got around to DCS tonight. I tried, with much wishful thinking, to run high settings with no MR, but I just can't stomach 60-70 fps. Too much tearing and stuttering for me. 

On the bright side, using Open Composite to bypass SVR and setting unlocked MR in OpenXR Toolkit, I was able to crank things up and held a rock solid 45 fps for the most part with the very, very occasional dip to 30fps via reprojection. Which was still smooth of course. This was just whizzing around low through Persian Gulf cities for the most part. Things looked fantastic and I look forward to not tinkering much anymore until some multi-threading comes out. Settings attached. 

DCS.png

Your settings are very similar to mine (13900k, 4090) and my experience is largely the same (HP G2).   I finally dropped MSAA and AF which does create a littl eshimmering, but I stay 90 while flying more often and once MR drops the graphics are crystal clear.

15 minutes ago, j9murphy said:

Your settings are very similar to mine (13900k, 4090) and my experience is largely the same (HP G2).   I finally dropped MSAA and AF which does create a littl eshimmering, but I stay 90 while flying more often and once MR drops the graphics are crystal clear.

Interesting, I hadn’t thought about trying MR on but without any MSAA or AF; I’ll give that a try! Thanks 

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up deciding on the 4080 over the 4090 due to 2k only and no VR.  I’m glad for myself that I saved the money for other things.  My FPS has skyrocketed between the 4080 and the MT patch, hitting 175 or more fps at times and rarely dropping below 95 around AI.  I think I’m set for awhile.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nightstalker said:

I ended up deciding on the 4080 over the 4090 due to 2k only and no VR.  I’m glad for myself that I saved the money for other things.  My FPS has skyrocketed between the 4080 and the MT patch, hitting 175 or more fps at times and rarely dropping below 95 around AI.  I think I’m set for awhile.

i have way better performance in MT with my rig.

i9-11900KF and a 3090. seems night and day. pancake here though.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

18 hours ago, Nightstalker said:

Even if you jump into VR later on, the 4080 will be more than sufficient for quite a while also.  I am driving a Pimax 8kX at native resolution with my 4080 and it is glorious!