Auto-set altimeter turn off?

Dovivan

Do you mean the radar altimeter warning?  You can adjust this on the backup altimeter bottom right hand side or I think via the hsi -> data -> a/c route 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

No, i think he means that whenever you start a mission, the altimeter is already set to the correct barometric pressure.

• Like 2

Win7 64bit Ultimate / MSI MPOWER Z97 / i7 4790K@4,4GHz / Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E / EVGA GTX980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 / 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 / Creative SB X-Fi / Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB SSD / 1TB WD Black Caviar HD / Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W / Be Quiet Base 800 / TM Warthog HOTAS / TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

Do you mean the radar altimeter warning?  You can adjust this on the backup altimeter bottom right hand side or I think via the hsi -> data -> a/c route 

NO my friend. im meaning QNH value in altimeter. In real life u must set up everytime when you start a plane. in last few updates  this value is setting automatically. Its unrealistic, but few updates ago was correct.  I dont know why is changing correct working things.

Edited by Dovivan

l'm not seeing that behaviour ... the last few missions i have had to manually adjust as per normal

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

DCS automatically sets the altimeter incorrectly so you need to adjust it anyway.

• Like 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

I've been seeing the same as Dovivan for the last number of updates.

2 hours ago, MARLAN_ said:

DCS automatically sets the altimeter incorrectly so you need to adjust it anyway.

Maybe it's mission specific, but it's been setting it correctly to QNH in anything I've done lately 🤔

27 minutes ago, rob10 said:

I've been seeing the same as Dovivan for the last number of updates.

Maybe it's mission specific, but it's been setting it correctly to QNH in anything I've done lately 🤔

It sets the altimeter using QFF not QNH, the closer you are to sea level, and the closer weather settings are to ISA the smaller the error will be. Try setting different temperatures and pressure settings in the mission editor (in addition to using higher altitude bases) and there will be a discrepancy.

See here: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/305660-dcs-qnh-appears-to-be-qff/#comment-5046915

• Like 3

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

1 hour ago, CBStu said:

Somewhat related question.

Not really. It's usually best to start a new thread when you don't find one that fits your question 100%, so stuff doesn't get mingled and others with the same question in the future will have a much easier time finding the existing question and the answers.

1 hour ago, CBStu said:

Trying to stay at 200ft it reads RALT most of the time but switches on it's own to BALT sometimes. Is there a way to lock it to RALT?

The radar altimeter transmitters and receivers don't cover 360 degrees, and the system is limited to a maximum height AGL, I think 5000 ft.

So, make sure to stay below the radar altimeter's maximum height, and don't bank too much to either side.

A short video or track or maybe just a screenshot could further help us understand the problem and point you more precisely to an answer.

I'm not sure the switch Foka highlighted will solve the problem; in the default BARO setting, wouldn't the HUD altimeter readout always be barometric?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yurgon said:

I'm not sure the switch Foka highlighted will solve the problem; in the default BARO setting, wouldn't the HUD altimeter readout always be barometric?

In BARO setting yes, but in RDR setting will show radar altitude if radar altimeter is able to measure it.
Of course it's hard to answer to question ask so not clearly like above.

On 9/21/2022 at 1:57 PM, Dovivan said:

Is it possible turn off auto-set QNH altimeter after start mission? I think this is unrealistic and i dont know who an why this "useless feature" wanted. Its SIM, not Arcade, or not?

I'm not aware of any way to turn this feature off.

On the other hand, it's equally unrealistic to have 29.92 dialed in every single time we step to the cockpit, so a randomized value would make just as much sense as 29.92 or the current QNH. For me, QNH is one less thing I can forget, so I don't mind. 😉

Of course, for air starts, setting QNH would make sense, because there's no easy way to set or determine QNH accurately when already airborne. Once the option to set truly dynamic weather returns, spawning in the air in different parts of the map (or rather, in different weather systems) will spice things up when the altimeter remains preset to 29.92... 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foka said:

In BARO setting yes, but in RDR setting will show radar altitude if radar altimeter is able to measure it.

This.  Very high probability that OP is losing RDR ALT when they bank too far for the RDR ALT to measure.  That's why it's an intermittent issue.  It will temporarily default back to BALT when it can't get a valid RALT reading (returns to RALT when it has a valid reading again).  The BALT on the HUD flashes to indicate this condition IIRC.

On 9/22/2022 at 11:40 AM, Yurgon said:

Not really. It's usually best to start a new thread when you don't find one that fits your question 100%, so stuff doesn't get mingled and others with the same question in the future will have a much easier time finding the existing question and the answers.

The radar altimeter transmitters and receivers don't cover 360 degrees, and the system is limited to a maximum height AGL, I think 5000 ft.

So, make sure to stay below the radar altimeter's maximum height, and don't bank too much to either side.

A short video or track or maybe just a screenshot could further help us understand the problem and point you more precisely to an answer.

Yurgon that makes sense. I will take your advice on doing a new thread vs a drift. Also I think you are probably correct. I will try the switch that Foka showed. But I expect your thought of high bank angle being a cause is correct. The idea is to try to stay below 250ft to avoid radar but 90deg bank angle is reached many times.