Full Screen select problem

Cyborg71
Go to solution Solved by Cyborg71,

3 hours ago, Loukuins said:

I already told BIGNEWY but I feel like I talk to a wall...

all the ED forum support help take time away from life and probably game time to assist us. they do not fix. they are merely recon and report to the devs what they see. there are at least three posts covering this same problem. with a little effort put forth by forum users, there could be only one post which is easier to attend to.

there are a multitude of users that do not seem to have this issue. this makes it even more difficult to make a fix. if you feel you are being ignored, put a ticket in at https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/ these people get paid (i guess) to assist and do not have the luxury of being a "wall".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

20 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

all the ED forum support help take time away from life and probably game time to assist us. they do not fix. they are merely recon and report to the devs what they see. there are at least three posts covering this same problem. with a little effort put forth by forum users, there could be only one post which is easier to attend to.

there are a multitude of users that do not seem to have this issue. this makes it even more difficult to make a fix. if you feel you are being ignored, put a ticket in at https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/ these people get paid (i guess) to assist and do not have the luxury of being a "wall".

We also take away time for everything else to try to convince them there is a problem with what they did.

Add to that, the bugs are also taking time from us of enjoying the game and all the investments we made around DCS.

Yes there are multiple posts about this issue because this one has been tagged as having a solution while it clearly has not ...

10 minutes ago, 84-Simba said:

We also take away time for everything else to try to convince them there is a problem with what they did.

Add to that, the bugs are also taking time from us of enjoying the game and all the investments we made around DCS.

Yes there are multiple posts about this issue because this one has been tagged as having a solution while it clearly has not ...

indeed. this post was marked resolved by the OP. it is their prerogative to do so. i guess part of my point is an additional 3 pages of posts after the OP marked resolved is unnecessary. and it is also unnecessary to accuse bignewy or any other helper of negligence. 

• Like 1

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

36 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

indeed. this post was marked resolved by the OP. it is their prerogative to do so. i guess part of my point is an additional 3 pages of posts after the OP marked resolved is unnecessary. and it is also unnecessary to accuse bignewy or any other helper of negligence. 

Part of my point is to indeed point out that the problem is not resolved, hence other threads.

Though I'm glad to not have to justify myself to you what is necessary or not.

You may want to unfollow this thread if you think you don't have to read the following ...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 84-Simba said:

Part of my point is to indeed point out that the problem is not resolved, hence other threads.

Though I'm glad to not have to justify myself to you what is necessary or not.

You may want to unfollow this thread if you think you don't have to read the following ...

noted. you obviously feel you have to justify yourself. thats ok. where i am from it is a right we enjoy. i will not ignore the thread. that would be shortsighted. i like to help others get their system sorted. when a fix is found, i will keep track and offer it to others when they ask for help.

DCS is a great game and its a shame that there are bugs. though after all it is a public beta. it is a wonder that any of this works in the first place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, silverdevil said:

noted. you obviously feel you have to justify yourself. thats ok. where i am from it is a right we enjoy. i will not ignore the thread. that would be shortsighted. i like to help others get their system sorted. when a fix is found, i will keep track and offer it to others when they ask for help.

DCS is a great game and its a shame that there are bugs. though after all it is a public beta. it is a wonder that any of this works in the first place.

This!

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

19 hours ago, silverdevil said:

I'm sorry didn't wanted to be a jerk when I said that, I kinda forgot that BIGNEWY is just the guy that everyone is complaining to... I gave my feedback let's just wait for next update for hopefully a fix

• Like 1

My Setup : i5-4690 3.50GHz + 24GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz + MSI RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC + 2 SSD + 4 HDD + Oculus Rift CV1 + TM T.16000M Hotas

Super Etendard for Life !

On 10/7/2022 at 7:07 PM, Hiob said:

Try those settings if you haven't already:

Windows Settings2.png

Windows settings.png

Nvidia Settings.png

You should find those, even if your windows is in another language.

The last is in the nvidia control panel, the first two are the properties of the dcs.exe

Interesting disovery for me is that the shortcut icon on the desktop is pointing to DCS_updater.exe and not DCS.exe.

Which one do you use to launch the game and did you apply the settings on both applications ?

What is the pros and cons of using each apps ?

53 minutes ago, 84-Simba said:

Interesting disovery for me is that the shortcut icon on the desktop is pointing to DCS_updater.exe and not DCS.exe.

Which one do you use to launch the game and did you apply the settings on both applications ?

What is the pros and cons of using each apps ?

The updater will check for updates with each start and then start dcs.exe. Start DCS.exe if you want to skip updates. Settings need to apply to the DCS.exe, but won’t harm the updater either. (perhaps set both just to be sure)

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 minute ago, Hiob said:

The updater will check for updates with each start and than start dcs.exe. Start DCS.exe if you want to skip updates. Settings needs to apply to the DCS.exe, but won’t harm the updater either.

Allrighty.

So you still use the DCS_updater to launch the game on a daily use ?

I tried what you suggested and since I actually wasn't using any scalling at all in the AMD panel (everything is off) I just applied the changes to the .exe (both)

Well ... it is merely a victory.

It seems to run a little smoother but the FPS counter is still oscillating between 57-61 while it was almost dead locked at 60 with the alt+tab.

My guess is that since I have a strong machine I brute force DCS to run at the 60fps ceiling, but it definitely runs less smoother than it was before.

I'm almost sure it would have been worse on my previous setup, with the FPS counter all over the place.

I runned a custom mission with a chunk of AI flights, tankers, and a good amount of ground units.

Starting cold from the ship with 8 AI flights it was easy to notice the before / after behaviour.

My conclusion is that it is still running good but the modification made by ED is worse than it was.

I can't judge by how much since again, I've a fairly strong machine.

I'll try again with DCS Liberation, it sometimes had my PC to blink an eye in certain circumstances.

Thank you very much for your time and for the advices you gave 🙂

• Like 1

@84-Simba i just thought of something that i am not sure it was offered. what monitor do you use? forgive me if it was mentioned. in my case i cap my FPS for DCS at 120 because my monitor refresh rate is 120 Hz. i seem to remember a post in the past that was attempting to fix problems such as these.

2 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

@84-Simba i just thought of something that i am not sure it was offered. what monitor do you use? forgive me if it was mentioned. in my case i cap my FPS for DCS at 120 because my monitor refresh rate is 120 Hz. i seem to remember a post in the past that was attempting to fix problems such as these.

It is a 144hz but I keep the native settings at 60 because of problems with TrackIr.

I have V-sync enabled and Freesync off.

It runs great, no tearing, no stuttering.

1 hour ago, 84-Simba said:

It is a 144hz but I keep the native settings at 60 because of problems with TrackIr.

I have V-sync enabled and Freesync off.

It runs great, no tearing, no stuttering.

haha. at this point i don't even know who has problems and who doesn't.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

haha. at this point i don't even know who has problems and who doesn't.

As I just said, and after trying  Cerberus North Mission 3 I can say it runs worse than it was before that said ''fix''.

Not as bad as it was before I tried what was suggested, but still worse.

Definitely not an upgrade then ...

Edited by 84-Simba

38 minutes ago, 84-Simba said:

As I just said, and after trying  Cerberus North Mission 3 I can say it runs worse than it was before that said ''fix''.

Not as bad as it was before I tried what was suggested, but still worse.

Definitely not an upgrade then ...

Are you running any RGB or monitoring software whilst playing DCS? (or any other not strictly necessary „gadget“ software) If so, can you test to close all of that stuff and see if it makes a difference?

Edited by Hiob

8 hours ago, Hiob said:

Are you running any RGB or monitoring software whilst playing DCS? (or any other not strictly necessary „gadget“ software) If so, can you test to close all of that stuff and see if it makes a difference?

Nothing but TrackIr and Ryzen Master.

I also have Matric and 2 or 3 export scripts.

Nothing but TrackIr and Ryzen Master.

I also have Matric and 2 or 3 export scripts.

Ryzen Master 🤨 What for?

Could you, just for testing, deactivate the export scripts and Ryzen Master?

3 minutes ago, Hiob said:

Ryzen Master 🤨 What for?

Could you, just for testing, deactivate the export scripts and Ryzen Master?

Overclocking the CPU.

And nope because those are mandatory.

Would you ''just for testing'' unplug your HOTAS ?

The setup was working like a charm before the update and what ED brought is causing a performance issue.

Period.

No quibbling.

• Like 1

I did one final test though.

There is no significant performance difference between the fullscreen box being checked or not in the game options panel.

So ... this update brought something that changes nothing for some users and is worse for others.

This is what I call a relative failure, or partial failure.

ED coders are doing thousands of thousands of code lines and updates are coming regularly.

It is an Open Beta so it is not surprising that sometimes, a code or a choice appears not to be satisfying or completely wrong.

I'm not mad because it happened ; what pisses me off is that ED has just to acknowledge it is not a good modification and either :

- it is needed anyway to move on toward the core optimization,

- it is not satisfying and then noted to be looked upon and re-estabilshed in its previous working state in the near future.

• Like 1

Overclocking the CPU.

And nope because those are mandatory.

Would you ''just for testing'' unplug your HOTAS ?

The setup was working like a charm before the update and what ED brought is causing a performance issue.

Period.

No quibbling.

You‘re free to do whatever you like!

But for troubleshooting it is best practice to eliminate as many variables as possible. Deactivating any kind of overclocking while testing is well advised. Especially for an AMD setup. And super especially when you utilize an AMD-GPU as well.

When you found stable overclocking settings you should enable them in the bios and not run Ryzen Master permanently. RM was definitely a source for trouble in the past. Maybe that has improved, but better safe than sorry.

Also export scripts were guilty for causing performance issues in the past (especially winwing scripts).

I can only give advice from my personal (quite reasonable) experiences with overclocking/tuning/troubleshooting. It’s up to you wether you want to follow or not.

Fact is, the current iteration of DCS runs flawlessly performance wise here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hiob said:

You‘re free to do whatever you like!

But for troubleshooting it is best practice to eliminate as many variables as possible. Deactivating any kind of overclocking while testing is well advised. Especially for an AMD setup. And super especially when you utilize an AMD-GPU as well.

When you found stable overclocking settings you should enable them in the bios and not run Ryzen Master permanently. RM was definitely a source for trouble in the past. Maybe that has improved, but better safe than sorry.

Also export scripts were guilty for causing performance issues in the past (especially winwing scripts).

I can only give advice from my personal (quite reasonable) experiences with overclocking/tuning/troubleshooting. It’s up to you wether you want to follow or not.

Fact is, the current iteration of DCS runs flawlessly performance wise here.

i agree with you Hiob. take as many variables out of the equation. then re-add each thing that was changed back to the way it was until the culprit is found. as far as OC. in all my years of pc building, i have never OC'd anything. i have always thought if i needed more power, i would just get a new part or entire rig. i know not everyone has the means. i do. OC can have negative connotations on the parts and the life of those parts. DCS also seems to have a bit of a glass jaw and any rarified air will give it troubles.

The setup has not changed in anyways here BUT the update.

And EDs themselves said they ''fixed'' that thing.

I don't see the point of turning mandatory things that I use in DCS just for wasting RL time.

If I'm not gonna fly DCS without, why would I try ?

Would you try DCS without your HOTAS for the sake of testing ?

Probably not because you know it is not a viable solution.

At some point they have to stop quibbling and accept that mod brought nothing better but either nothing or worse.

Period.

1 hour ago, Nevyn said:

Fact is, the current iteration of DCS doesn't run flawlessly performance wise here.

I know, I acknowledged that it doesn’t run smooth for everybody several times now. What I was trying to point out is, that there obviously are other factors at play as well. If the issue would be positively exclusively to DCS, everybody would experience the same trouble. Since this isn’t the case, it’s still relevant to identify the factors (or combination of) that cause the hickup.

57 minutes ago, 84-Simba said:

At some point they have to stop quibbling and accept that mod brought nothing better but either nothing or worse.

Period.

One, that perception is not universally true obviously.

Second, no problem I will stop trying to help you. Good luck!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I know, I acknowledged that it doesn’t run smooth for everybody several times now. What I was trying to point out is, that there obviously are other factors at play as well. If the issue would be positively exclusively to DCS, everybody would experience the same trouble. Since this isn’t the case, it’s still relevant to identify the factors (or combination of) that cause the hickup.

One, that perception is not universally true obviously.

Second, no problem I will stop trying to help you. Good luck!

You did brought some help, I thanked you for that and will do it again.

But we are now to the point where it is clearly established that the update is at fault.

It is indeed in EDs hands, granted the accept the fact that there is a problem in the first place ...