Does ICE have an effect?

speed-of-heat
Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

I noticed that in Caucus's IA missions the Anti-Icing was switched OFF, so i switched them on as it was reporting a lot of ice... i tried a few other missions and found the same ... then i tried the Marianas take off from runway, where i found that it also was reporting Ice  ... which seemed less likely? so with that in mind does ICE have an effect , or is it just flavour at the moment?

ice in marianas.trk

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I find it curious why they chose to cycle no indication, light, medium and heavy icing every few seconds instead of just displaying nothing until anti-ice is properly implemented. It just confuses people. Though it is funny how you get "Heavy" icing in Dubai at 40°C FAT.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FalcoGer said:

I find it curious why they chose to cycle no indication, light, medium and heavy icing every few seconds instead of just displaying nothing until anti-ice is properly implemented. It just confuses people. Though it is funny how you get "Heavy" icing in Dubai at 40°C FAT.

I guess at least if it's cycling you can look at it and say 'yeah that's broken'. But if it was just static 'no ice' you might believe it.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Perhaps another approach could be saying it isn't working when in fact it isn't implemented at the time. I think that would be more accurate, realistic and avoid some confusion (while admittedly causing different confusion). It also isn't wasted effort on the programmer's part as the "failed" messages could pop up when the equipment actually fails later when it is properly implemented instead of ripping out the old placeholder and putting something new in, the old system now being essentially useless, the work done to create it worthless.

Another example: Say IFF isn't implemented at the time. You get an IFF bit fail on startup, letting you know that it isn't working (which it isn't). Now IFF does gets implemented (we hope). But you can still use the code of non working IFF if you zero out your codes or if your IFF equipment gets shot up.

That said, not sure how that applies to ice detection and if there is any indication of anti ice equipment not working or if there is any test in the apache at all.

28 minutes ago, Swift. said:

I guess at least if it's cycling you can look at it and say 'yeah that's broken'. But if it was just static 'no ice' you might believe it.

For all intents and purposes, there is 'no ice'. So maybe it should just say that, even in the clouds at -20°C

• ED Team

Please leave the bug reports for bugs, for discussion please make a thread in the general AH-64D discussion area. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2