Onboard Sound vs PCI extreme.

vCUJOv

Will I see a diference in FPS switching from realtek HD to PCIE soundcard. I have powerful pc and i read that the difference will be unnoticible on my system. If i should upgrade which card should i get?

My Rig

Gigabyte x58 extreme

I7920@4ghz

3x1 gig 1600 corsair ram

2x150gig velociraptors in raid 0

evga gtx 260

hx1000w corsair ps

My frames are at around 50 in training with all settings maxed out

Cujo_signature.png

YES!!!

There is FPS increase.

I red the forum and decided to go for a high end sound card (Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty) two days ago.

The result was amazing and unexpected>>

I got 5-10 FPS increase, huge sound quality improvement, some ingame sound artifacts disappeared and as bottom line the general game satisfaction went up SO :thumbup: go ahead buy one (make sure that the card is actual HARDWARE ACCELERATOR) and don't forget to disable the onboard audio in the BIOS...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regards!

It's not just for an FPS increase you should get a better sound card, it's for the sound!

Why most people think they can live with on board sound is beyond me. It's like going to a games player and saying you can live with onboard graphics.

• Like 1

Regards

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I remember something along these lines with LOMAC a few years back, where there was a significant difference to FPS between using "Software" or "Hardware" acceleration in Direct X settings with onboard sound. I can't remember the exact details, I remember it worked for me at the time but I then installed Doom 3 and had no sound, spent ages tracking it down to me changing the setting in DX.

It's not just for an FPS increase you should get a better sound card, it's for the sound!

Why most people think they can live with on board sound is beyond me. It's like going to a games player and saying you can live with onboard graphics.

Agreed 100%

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

How much fps do you gain from a creative soundcard these days? 1 or 5 FPS extra? All that for just € 70,. The on-board sound chips are getting better and better. The driver support is faster then creative from day one concerning Windows Vista. I used to be a big creative fan spending allot of money on the creative soundcards. Not any more the cards are way to expensive for just playing games and if you are in to more pro sound mixing there are better cards out there.

How much fps do you gain from a creative soundcard these days? 1 or 5 FPS extra? All that for just € 70,. The on-board sound chips are getting better and better. The driver support is faster then creative from day one concerning Windows Vista. I used to be a big creative fan spending allot of money on the creative soundcards. Not any more the cards are way to expensive for just playing games and if you are in to more pro sound mixing there are better cards out there.

A PCI-E or a PCI X-FI really makes a big difference IMHO. It is not just a small FPS diffference either. As mentioned before the sound itself is much better then virtually all built on solutions and sims run smoother becuase the CPU is not spending cycles on processing sound.

I would not invest in a high end gaming rig and use any on board solution that I have seen yet. None are any where near as good quality in terms of sound and compatibility as a good ol X-FI. I would in fact still even use a last generation Audigy over any built on solution as well. Much better.

Out

Edited by PoleCat

A PCI-E or a PCI X-FI really makes a big difference IMHO. It is not just a small FPS diffference either. As mentioned before the sound itself is much better then virtually all built on solutions and sims run smoother becuase the CPU is not spending cycles on processing sound.

I would not invest in a high end gaming rig and use any on board solution that I have seen yet. None are any where near as good quality in terms of sound and compatibility as a good ol X-FI. I would in fact still even use a last generation Audigy over any built on solution as well. Much better.

Out

agree .

Out

So true! :yes:

And the most funny thing is to see them using 200$ 5.1 to 7.1 speakers with the crapy onboard-chip. :megalol:

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

Will I see a diference in FPS switching from realtek HD to PCIE soundcard. I have powerful pc and i read that the difference will be unnoticible on my system. If i should upgrade which card should i get?

My Rig

Gigabyte x58 extreme

I7920@4ghz

3x1 gig 1600 corsair ram

2x150gig velociraptors in raid 0

evga gtx 260

hx1000w corsair ps

My frames are at around 50 in training with all settings maxed out

Audigy 1 class SC - small difference in FPS, big difference in sound. Good example - in FC many (all?) onboard SCs was giving FPS stuttering durring low fly-by over a column of tanks, where their sounds kicked in. No such problem with Audigy.

X-Fi class (not faked, beware!) with 64 onboard RAM - noticable continuous FPS increase. Google the performance gain info. It was 10+% increase in FPS IIRC. It is probably the higher the worse is benchmarked PC. Plus - much better sound (currently the best in games as a matter of fact). Go for it if your funds allow.

i think if sound options affect your frame rate,

then the game has a serious flaw.

but black shark has this thing with cpu use and

affinity. maybe they should review their engine

soon.

nowadays, this is unacceptable.

Sorry, but that is the same as saying that any game getting more FPS with better graphics card has a serious flaw.

Sound needs to be processed just like textures and rendering. Today, with 7.1 systems getting more common, some soundfiles and effects used are a lot bigger than some textures in modern games.

If your statement was true, 90% of the games on the market hav serious flaws, because it's pretty obvious that if you use a soundcard to render sounds and free cycles on the CPU the game will get faster overall. No matter if it is BlackShark, CounterStrike or PacMan.

Just look at games like Battlefield, Crysis, UT3 or even older games like IL2. Without the neccessary soundcard, you can't even use most of the soundfeatures, like echoes, environmental effects and stuff like that!

Today, with 7.1 systems getting more common, some

soundfiles and effects used are a lot bigger than some

textures in modern games.

i mean, is that the case with black shark?

do you really think sound is that expensive to this game?

neither sound or graphics are heavily used here.

i get around 40 fps in crysis with my box. i know it's a lot

different from black shark, but it uses 100 times more

graphics and sound effects than black shark. and still,

i get 40 fps with everything maxed out.

i think real gains would be in sound quality and features.

i have a good sound card, but i'll not pay too much attention to this,

as a player nor as a developer, 'cause the problem with fps in this

game lies in the cpu and gpu coding. those are areas where real

gains would be achieved and that's where us (customers) need to

focus while buying hardware and them (developers) while coding

their engine.

No doubt that the engine has a longer beard than Gandalf.

But that is not the topic here. The question is, if you gain FPS with a soundcard in BS or in general and you do. In Crysis it was about 8-12 FPS for me.

And besides that, Crysis is truly not the best example for a well programmed engine....

YES!!!

There is FPS increase.

I red the forum and decided to go for a high end sound card (Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty) two days ago.

I got 5-10 FPS increase, huge sound quality improvement, some ingame sound artifacts disappeared and as bottom line the general game satisfaction went up SO :thumbup: go ahead buy one (make sure that the card is actual HARDWARE ACCELERATOR) and don't forget to disable the onboard audio in the BIOS...

I seriously doubt the person who started the thread is going to see a large FPS increase with a 4 ghz I7 920 guys by going with a PCI-E sound card. Seriously, the processor with affinity set to all 8 "logical" CPU's on my box is about 13% when I am playing this game. On an older machine where the processor is running at 80% I can see how a sound card might make a big difference but when your CPU is not working very hard, I doubt it.

I could be wrong, but if I am, I would really like to see some benchmarks showing the differences between onboard sound and a dedicated PCI-E card on the X58 platform. I believe that the sound quality is probably better on a dedicated card. I have a harder time believing that a guy with an overlocked i7 920@ 4ghz is going to see a big performance increase from a sound card.

Edited by AlphaInfinity

YES!!!

There is FPS increase.

Did you get the Champion or Pro Series?

ASUS Striker II Extreme - Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme - EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GeForce GTX260 Core 216 SC Edition 896MB DDR3 - CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB ) PC3-10666 1333MHz - Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz 6M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Dual-Core Processor - ZALMAN ZM850-HP 850W

I think I want to call Mythbuster team at Discovery channel. :D

My opinion : PCI-ex sound card is better than onboard sound BUT in decent systems, the difference in fps is negligible even in min fps situation.

and skypirate I told you that you need upgrade in CPU part, not sound.

You'll found out soon it was a placebo effect and be eager for new CPU.

Edited by =815=TooCooL

System: Core2Duo E8500, 4G ram, GTX260, SLC SSD, and Vista 32bit. LG W2600HP 26" LCD.

Controls : MSFFB2, CH Pro throttle, Saitek rudder, Saitek throttle quadrant, and TrackIR4

BS Setting : medium with visibility HIGH

More skill you get, more you Love DCS:Black Shark.

I don't know about increase in FPS on X58 platform...

On mine Gigabyte M59 Athlon 5200(2600MHz) during the dual affinity CPU game run the CPU load was between 70 and 90%... I only compared the FPS increase in the Battle mission - without SB X-Fi I was getting 10 FPS (in the initial view of the mission) ... then with the SB the FPS are 15... Now I overclocked the CPU to 2900MHz and I'm getting 20-22 FPS.

Different platforms react different to the hardware changes. There are so many ways to do it, so everyone makes his own mind how to get more FPS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regards!